Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jul 30, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #1,638 of 3,098
anyone in the GTA looking to get the R2A at KS price? :)  PM me

Edit: Or anywhere, doesn't matter of course

I'll trade you my Delta's and some money for them :wink:

Jul 30, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #1,640 of 3,098
I enjoy the sound with comply tips but already used one pair.

Can anyone tell me if these are genuine sony hybrids? (link), this is the only seller I found that ships to UK.
Are sony sizes fairly standard? I pretty much always use medium size, is it safe to get medium hybrids?

I know some people use crystaline tips which I heard are similar quality to complies but cheaper and longer lasting. Any opinions? Should I get medium or small core? (the only 2 sizes available for v2). (link)

Thanks

Jul 30, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #1,641 of 3,098
  I really like how you marked earpiece with this red thingy.

Would you mind telling what is it and where can I get one?

It's just a thin slice cut off a Sony hybrid's tip stem. The red ones are the smallest size and they don't fit my ears, so I use them for other purposes.

Works both as a visual and tactile marking of the right earpiece.

Jul 30, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #1,642 of 3,098
  Agreed, but lets not forget that the IE8 effect is mainly due to recessed mids. We tend to associate forward vocals with closeness / intimacy, and recessed vocals with distance / forward projection. The R2Pro's upper mids are quite recessed imo, which makes (particularly female) vocals sound a little warmer and more distant / forward projected than usual.

Later? 
biggrin.gif
  Btw, note how they not only made the splitter annoyingly heavy, but also squashed the cable sheath in the process (see arrows):

Yes, I agree with this, and it's the hollowness/recession that I'd noted when I sent LC my early impressions.  I've noticed it on male vocals that are in the tenor range, guitar solos, and some piano passages. Sometimes it feels like it's only the fundamentals that are coming through strongly while the voice/instrument sort of lacks in harmonic support. I struggled with the 1plus2 as well, but that was because the mids felt recessed relative to its wildly mountainous treble range and prominent bass. I think these come across as more even to my ears while offering a similar "out of the head" effect. 

Nice to see MacGyver is already hard at work on the tweaks lol 

And eh, still better than JH LOL. And I sort of alternate between over the ear, and straight down. With the former, the BBS (big beautiful splitter) actually works nicely as a counterweight of sorts, although the cable is very light and not all that springy, so maybe it'd do okay without it. I wish they'd opted for the same smooth cable as the Tenore. The cable, as is, is very light, and of the same thickness as that of the Tenore, but the gumminess and memory is pretty annoying :l 

Just listened to those two test tracks. no noticeable sibilance on the first. very tiny amount on the second. Maybe I’m more tolerant of it?

very weird. I haven't given James' tracks a listen yet to comment, but I do hear hints of sibilance crop up on certain tracks. Flare said that fiddling with the end cap can sort of screw with the FR. No clue whether there's any truth to that, but I guess it's an element of QC to sort of ruminate on 

Jul 30, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #1,643 of 3,098

Just didn't quite float your boat huh? Or do you also happen to have the R2Pro?

something like that :p

I'll trade you my Delta's and some money for them
wink.gif

i edited my post above, brother wants to audition them and see if he wants it. Unless I change my mind and decide not to sell it in the first place LOL. I went back to A/B with my VSD3, Havi and IM50 and I am having second second thoughts on selling it now :p. What peeved me initially was having to deal with comply and and its not easy as slipping in and out in the ears. But listening to them again and comparing it to whats in my stable (besides the Earbuds and Z5) makes me think long and hard whether I should sell them or not. DAMN IT I thought I was sure I wanted to sell it. Shouldn't have gone for that one last listen :wink:

Jul 30, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #1,645 of 3,098

something like that :p

i edited my post above, brother wants to audition them and see if he wants it. Unless I change my mind and decide not to sell it in the first place LOL. I went back to A/B with my VSD3, Havi and IM50 and I am having second second thoughts on selling it now :p. What peeved me initially was having to deal with comply and and its not easy as slipping in and out in the ears. But listening to them again and comparing it to whats in my stable (besides the Earbuds and Z5) makes me think long and hard whether I should sell them or not. DAMN IT I thought I was sure I wanted to sell it. Shouldn't have gone for that one last listen :wink:

Lol, that one last listen. I never liked foam tips anyway, so when I got them, I put in some silicon tips from my VSonic GR06 and they're playing very nicely with my ears.

Jul 31, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #1,647 of 3,098
Thanks again! I searched amazon for "sony hybrid tips" and it didn't showed up in search results. 

So glad you joined this discussion :) Now I have nice marking and will have hybrids in the next few days, not mentioning your great impressions :)

Jul 31, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #1,648 of 3,098

What peeved me initially was having to deal with comply and and its not easy as slipping in and out in the ears. But listening to them again and comparing it to whats in my stable (besides the Earbuds and Z5) makes me think long and hard whether I should sell them or not. DAMN IT I thought I was sure I wanted to sell it. Shouldn't have gone for that one last listen :wink:

Being a long time Etymotic fan, I not only use Comply for full-on isolation, but I use the P series (extra long), which feel like they actually touch my brain! Anyway,

Knowing that the lifespan of the tips is a limited one, a trick I use is to wet (read lick) my fingers and then roll the tips before insertion - this is actually a recommendation in the Ety manual :).

This has given me 3 big benefits:
1   They are far easier to insert
2   The make a slightly better seal when they expand
3   They last a lot longer

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #1,650 of 3,098
Being a long time Etymotic fan, I not only use Comply for full-on isolation, but I use the P series (extra long), which feel like they actually touch my brain! Anyway,

Knowing that the lifespan of the tips is a limited one, a trick I use is to wet (read lick) my fingers and then roll the tips before insertion - this is actually a recommendation in the Ety manual :).

This has given me 3 big benefits:
1   They are far easier to insert
2   The make a slightly better seal when they expand
3   They last a lot longer

Probably best to use distilled water?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back