Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jun 1, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #333 of 3,098
  I occurred to me that when Flare states that the driver and the cable units are user-replaceable, that it might be possible to move up the food chain this way from R2A to S and Pro - so I asked the question and got this confirmation from Davies on the KS site.

You can upgrade and/or replace every part of R2, thus if you wanted to upgrade to a higher model later on you will be able to purchase parts as/when required.

So that's pretty unique I think? And definitely a plus point - I mean, I've pledged for the R2A but it means that when and if funds allow and should I want to, I could presumably upgrade to the S and Pro models for less cost than buying the whole IEMs. 

Be interesting to see how the pricing scale works for the parts, of course.

That is seriously sexy. I can upgrade to R2S or R2Pro anytime I want. I don't even have to worry about warranty I can just get the parts I need for it lol. My concerns are gone, I am official excited again :p

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #339 of 3,098

Dont forget the Comply tips, at £456 each.

biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #340 of 3,098

Isn't the only other part the casing? And so the driver + cable + casing = total IEM cost? 

more like driver + cable + casing + variable (manufacturing) costs + (a percentage of) fixed costs + small profit = total IEM cost 

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #341 of 3,098

more like driver + cable + casing + variable (manufacturing) costs + (a percentage of) fixed costs + small profit = total IEM cost 

Wouldn't the variable costs and fixed costs be included in the component part costs they're associated with? Perhaps there's some assembly cost missing. 

In any case, I can't imagine Flare having a business model where you could get there top of the line IEM for cheaper by buying the lower end model and upgrading yourself.

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #342 of 3,098

Wouldn't the variable costs and fixed costs be included in the component part costs they're associated with? Perhaps there's some assembly cost missing. 

In any case, I can't imagine Flare having a business model where you could get there top of the line IEM for cheaper by buying the lower end model and upgrading yourself.

It could be included but costs for component parts are both in raw materials and in assembly of the part itself. It really depends on how you look at it. I agree though on the second point unless they'd make the price of the upgraded casing to be close to the price jump from model to model. That being said, it would look kinda ridiculous. "$300 for 2 pcs titanium earphone shell." 

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #343 of 3,098
300 might very well be the raw material + manufacturing and assembly cost. Im guessing the more rigid the material the harder to work with (pun intended). Also to protect Flare's business model

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #344 of 3,098
I could see them offering the shell cheaper for KS backers, but I can't imagine them selling it for cheap for mass market. Why would you buy the pro for $600 if you could buy the A for $266 and get it upgraded to Pro for cheaper than buying it straight? I can't even see them selling the titanium shells for $334 as if I could do that then I would buy the A, and then the Pro shells, and get two pair of phones for the price of one lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back