Flare Audio R2PRO Impressions Thread
Sep 18, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #16 of 54
I know this is an appreciation thread, so I have to say that I love both my R2A and my R2Pro. They're amazing and easily compete with my JH16 Pro and Sennheiser IE800. I would also like to share this, for anyone interested.

So, for the UK members in this group, Flare Audio has contacted me directly and authorized me to share a coupon for a whopping 50% off of their amazing IEM's, the R2S (stainless steel) on Amazon UK! For those outside of the UK, in America or anywhere else, you can get the same deal+postage by contacting Flare Audio directly! Just use the code FLARESEP.

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flare-Audio-R2S-SS-Stainless-standard/dp/B013X0QTLW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442595057&sr=8-1&keywords=flare+r2s

Falre Audio contact page: http://www.flareaudio.com/contact/

The coupon goes live at 10pm GMT

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #17 of 54
Yeah these things kind of murdered all of my other headphones within 5 mins. Love them to death. 

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #18 of 54
Strange thing happened since I got the R2A and R2PRO..

I totally stopped buying a new IEM 
biggrin.gif

I was buying 20 IEMs per year and this is the first time I feel like I don't need any more gears.

Quite amazing..

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #19 of 54
Cue'd up some Fleetwood Mac on these things and wow. Not only is Rumors recorded very well but these things rock with that album.

Oct 22, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #20 of 54
Hi all,
I found this out by accident and have what I think stepped up the quality of the sound. ( it's costs pence to try) PS my use of Head fi terminology is subjective and noob like..

My comply's gave up the ghost like a tissue paper bathing suit.
I had some cheap (bag) of EBAY China memory foam tips.

As these don't have the rubber insert they come off the ear piece easy but I didn't want silicone..

As there is no insert I pushed them back up the body. Before long they were flush with the body. Don't get me wrong poor quality songs you hear a bit more harsh bass but it was always there. I listen to D+B mixes...
But a huge step up in detail more defined sound stage and sharper mids and treble. A step difference. More drum like..Bass

Maybe memory foam absorbs to much detail for the extra comfort. Or they now sit deeper and more sound is directed onto the ear drum not the sides of the ear canal.

Also as stated about over tightening the screws. I undid mine, released the o ring and driver carefully and light re-screwed them back up snug but not tight like before. This helped also. IMHO.
but as you already have them try and experiment with the final angle as they sit deeper.

I wanted to give a bit back for once. Try and let me know.? What you think?

I love the extra detail like the next veil lifted....
Have fun and good luck

Dave x

Cheap memory foam tips 2 dollars euros..Ebay Aliexpress ect
Push them back so both tips flush and lightly tighten the o ring/ driver from over tight like me..

8^)

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #22 of 54
I just received an R2Pro as part of a trade today and must say that I am VERY impressed so far and do believe that for both comfort and sound they will dethrone my K3003! As far as a comparison, to my ears the Flare has a more lifelike SQ and sense of presence, with very accurate imaging both in width and depth, than does my K3003 (with reference filters) I find the Flares to have exceptional instrumental timbre and so far are non-fatiguing for long listening periods. The K3003 has more bass quantity but the R2Pro bass is more accurate and seems to be more in balance with the rest of the audio spectrum.

Dec 17, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #23 of 54
 I'm about to sell my r2 pro and buy akg 3003,
more detail please in soundstage and imaging , which one sound more like 3d ?

I would give the 3-D to the Flare. I might suggest keeping your R2Pro until you receive the K3003 and compare them yourself. It would be easier to sell one or the other than to find another set of R2Pro's.

I might also add that the K3003 cable is not terribly robust either and having the option for cable/driver replacement with the Flare is a big plus, IMO.

Dec 17, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #24 of 54
Why my R2 pro sound flat . how did you find the detail and the treble and which one sound more airy ?

There is not night and day difference. I think the K3003 has a wider soundstage, but to my ears, the R2Pro wins on imaging. Probably due to the better coherence of the single-driver Flare. Both can reveal subtle detail and both do treble well, given the best personal choice of filters in the AKG.

Accuracy of imaging and depth of field contributes a better sense of realism to me than do reasonably small differences in frequency response.

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #25 of 54
Apologies if this has been posted but I am looking for recs on triple flanges to fit the R2 series IEMs.  I have been searching unsuccessfully.     currently using comply tips but have hit a little bit of a frustration peak on fit, seal, etc etc   thanks in advance

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #26 of 54
I just received R2 Pro that I got half price during Sales. I purchased those as I find myself without IEM waiting for U12 from 64 audio, and I have read some very interesting feedback and reviews about the R2.

As everybody before me I guess, even reading it doesn't prepare you for how small those are 
blink.gif

I tried different tips but not the comply since I am not a fan... SpinFits seem good with them. Spiral Dots are better.

I was surprised to need to set gain to high and volume at 65/70% with DP-X1 (75mW), I guess they're not very sensitive with that low impendance I should get more volume... someone has the info?

Other than that, they sound very natural with a balanced signature, with smooth mids and polite treble. Just like I had read.
I'll spend time with them and post further impressions...

Edit : After 3 hours, I think I am starting to get an impression on those.

First, balanced pressure is really nice for fatigue (or lack thereof). It really works and also even with a seal, you never get the feeling of being closed in and tend to forget you're wearing them. Nice. 

I stand by first impressions, very natural sounding IEM. Bass are deceptively good for such a small IEM, they can kick quite decently when called upon while never blooming or bleeding into lower mids. Texture and detail is good there. Mids are smooth but, there is a but, I do get some instances of sibilance. Not harsh but it's there. I need to try out other tips, might help. Treble are not harsh, rather smooth but a bit "metallic" I find them a tad "cold".

Imaging is really good, and transparency + clarity are really better than I expected.
Separation is pretty good for a single dynamic.

Overall great value for money, especially at half price :p

The two annoying thing is the lack of L/R markings on the earpiece (color coding would have been easy I'll definitely stick something on them to sort them out) and the microphonics.

Feb 4, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #27 of 54
Those babies are getting better as I burn them in, if you do get them, stick with it you won't be disappointed this is stunning value for money...

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #28 of 54
yeah they're a bit metallically at first, in aroung 50-60 hours it's gone though. 

Feb 7, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #29 of 54
Yep definitely, one thing that is surprising is how they scale with an amp those need to be driven properly for sure.
A powerful DAP or an amp will do them justice, with a fuller sound that's way beyond their price, impressive IEMs...

Feb 18, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #30 of 54
I have just gotten Philips tips, tried them on the R2 Pro and... oh my bass have more body and texture than the Spiral Dots, also soundstage is better, if you have not you should try those!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back