Flare Audio R2PRO Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #32 of 54
  Which Philips tips and where can I buy it? I wish I got my currently-being-repaired R2 soon. :frowning2:

Earbuds tips for Philips SHE, SHO, SHS, SHQ, SHB Series, you can find them on eBay

For me it provides perfect seal, YMMV of course.

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #33 of 54
Something like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-S-M-L-Replacement-Earbuds-tips-for-Philips-UE-In-Ear-Earphones-/251455352309?hash=item3a8be82df5:g:xv8AAMXQC-tTBGak

If so I think I tried it already and preferred spinfit.

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #34 of 54
  Something like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-S-M-L-Replacement-Earbuds-tips-for-Philips-UE-In-Ear-Earphones-/251455352309?hash=item3a8be82df5:g:xv8AAMXQC-tTBGak

If so I think I tried it already and preferred spinfit.

Yep, to me SpinFit affect the soundstage, they are narrower than the bore contrary to Spiral Dots

Feb 20, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #35 of 54
I've had the r2pro for about 6 months now. Great sounds but the cable is just too much of a problem (at least for me). I had to replace it about 3 times till finally got fed up and almost thought of selling it. Luckily, I had a spare senn ie80 cable and a friend who was willing to solder the cable to the R2 drivers for me. It sounds slightly different from the stock cable, seems like it lost a bit of depth but I really can't seem to tell if it's better or worse.

Also,  I should add that the ie80 cable is a bit thicker than the stock so it fits really tight inside the driver. However,  I'm very certain I wouldn't be having problems with this cable for a very long time. I would only change it if flare decides to release a better one or someone recommends a better alternative.

Feb 20, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #36 of 54
Good to know that the cable is that weak I'll take extra care...

Envoyé de mon HUAWEI NXT-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

Feb 25, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #37 of 54
My new top tip for any connector or socket. CAIG deoxit boosted my my kit, my DAP and Flares sound so much better.

Before I just used neat IPA but contact cleaner gives much better results.

Good luck

Feb 26, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #38 of 54
I've got the R2As

Going back to tips. I've tried a variety and the three best were Spiral Dots, Ortofon and Spinfits.

While the Spiral Dots did amazing things to the bass, the sibilance they introduced made them very hard to lsiten to.

The Ortofons were also very good and I thought - this is it.

Then I used the Spinfits (Jaben) and the whole sound world just opened up. Bass was more defined, the soundstage opened up and the overall clarity increased.

I can probably pick up some of the Philips from my local electrical retailer so I'll give those a whirl.

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #39 of 54
A tip I've spread across the forums.
I used some IPA then some CAIG DeoxIT red and gold. I used it on everything but my Flares and FIIO X3II DAP really shine with extra detail,with quite a jump in sound quality. Same on my Sammy s5. .. I hope it helps but all it does is bring it back to top quality.

Good luck
Dave

May 22, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #40 of 54
  I just received R2 Pro that I got half price during Sales. I purchased those as I find myself without IEM waiting for U12 from 64 audio, and I have read some very interesting feedback and reviews about the R2.

As everybody before me I guess, even reading it doesn't prepare you for how small those are 
blink.gif

I tried different tips but not the comply since I am not a fan... SpinFits seem good with them. Spiral Dots are better.

I was surprised to need to set gain to high and volume at 65/70% with DP-X1 (75mW), I guess they're not very sensitive with that low impendance I should get more volume... someone has the info?

Other than that, they sound very natural with a balanced signature, with smooth mids and polite treble. Just like I had read.
I'll spend time with them and post further impressions...

Edit : After 3 hours, I think I am starting to get an impression on those.

First, balanced pressure is really nice for fatigue (or lack thereof). It really works and also even with a seal, you never get the feeling of being closed in and tend to forget you're wearing them. Nice. 

I stand by first impressions, very natural sounding IEM. Bass are deceptively good for such a small IEM, they can kick quite decently when called upon while never blooming or bleeding into lower mids. Texture and detail is good there. Mids are smooth but, there is a but, I do get some instances of sibilance. Not harsh but it's there. I need to try out other tips, might help. Treble are not harsh, rather smooth but a bit "metallic" I find them a tad "cold".

Imaging is really good, and transparency + clarity are really better than I expected.
Separation is pretty good for a single dynamic.

Overall great value for money, especially at half price :p

The two annoying thing is the lack of L/R markings on the earpiece (color coding would have been easy I'll definitely stick something on them to sort them out) and the microphonics.

I am still in 2 minds about trying these. All reports on sound quality and imaging interest me but then you get reading a report or two about cables or issues.

How are you finding these a few months after you first posted here?

May 25, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #41 of 54

I am still in 2 minds about trying these. All reports on sound quality and imaging interest me but then you get reading a report or two about cables or issues.

How are you finding these a few months after you first posted here?

Well, I mainly used them while waiting for the U12, I haven't touched them for a while as U12 are just another league entirely but my take on them is great value for the price. Cable is indeed a weak point but I am kind of maniac with gear I usually don't experience issues that others might have because I am extra careful but accidental tear can happen and definitely could happen. I think there is a kit to replace the cable yourself and it's fairly easy though.

May 25, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #42 of 54
A 2 minute job to swap out a replacement. Just remember to clean and keep the other 2 o-rings inside.

I still prefer to buy the cheap chinese memory foam buds then push them all the way back on the body. A nicer fit and much deeper in my ear canal .

May 26, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #43 of 54

Well, I mainly used them while waiting for the U12, I haven't touched them for a while as U12 are just another league entirely but my take on them is great value for the price. Cable is indeed a weak point but I am kind of maniac with gear I usually don't experience issues that others might have because I am extra careful but accidental tear can happen and definitely could happen. I think there is a kit to replace the cable yourself and it's fairly easy though.

Thank you

I will probably give them a miss as probably not a great deal they could add or find a place in my current collection Echobox Finder X1, B&O H3, RHA T20, Shure SE535 and ACS Encore CIEM

I had always been just curious
wink_face.gif

Jun 29, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #45 of 54
YES mate to be honest I got a pack of cheap Aliexpress memory foams.
The lug only really holds the rubber insert memory foam.
These kept falling off.. I pushed them onto the body back to the cable. The foam and body are almost flush.

Pure chance but I love the sound and they sit deeper in my ear. Much better isolation and not as loud..

All the other brands fall apart in a few weeks the cheap ones only get stiff.

A pack lasted me a year and love the more detailed sound...

I did post further back the thread some pictures.

You know head fi if you aren't throwing hundreds at it....

And they never come off..

Only suggestion now is fit a pen spring onto the trs to give the cable some support..

Good luck let us know what u think. ..
Only a.few dollars if you like the sound and isolation...

Cheers

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back