Flare Audio – FLARES® – (R2.x successor) KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN
Jul 25, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #451 of 544
I find them to sound even better balanced. Primarily, the improvements seem to be in the accuracy of the imaging and solidity of the soundstage. I agree that the balanced bluetooth adapter sounds outstanding. My M1 does output Apt-X and makes a very tidy carry package.
At this point, I have to say that I consider the Flares to be one of the most satisfying audio purchases that I have made.

Below is a pix of my couplers after adding some heat-shrink tubing. Not only does the heat-shrink look good, it gives a nice grip when separating the cables from the connector.

Couplers.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #453 of 544
Are you using them with the Pono? I'd be interested in how they sound together. My two balanced sources being Pono and AK120 II.

I have so far been only using my DX200 and mostly listening to Tidal. I will pull out my Pono and give it a try with the balanced cables. Should be a very nice pairing.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #454 of 544
YES!! Count me on the "need to know what the Pono sounds like in balanced mode with the Flare Pro's" train!! Thanks HiFlight! I may need your notes on how you accomplished this for the Pono connections before I pull the trigger on the Pros myself!

Jul 25, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #455 of 544
A Pono balanced jack to mmcx cable. Then the couplers to the Flares Pro cable . Small bits of shrink tubing for those couplers.

I wonder when the Flare Audio 2.5mm jack Balance cable will come out, given they're working on it.

Jul 25, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #456 of 544
Here is my Flares/Pono balanced combination. Needless to say, it sounds absolutely stunning. TOTL SQ without a doubt. I don't think it is the "new toy" syndrome as I was not really expecting this level of audio quality as I have previously owned the R2 Pro and R2A. While both sounded good, they didn't provided the level of performance and build quality that these deliver.

I also believe that the precision ports described by Flare really do greatly reduce ear pressure as I have worn the Flares all day without fatigue, which is unusual as my tolerance for IEM's is typically about 2 hours whether universals or my customs.

At this point, I could easily live with the Flares as my only IEM.

Flares/Pono pix below:

FlaresPono.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #457 of 544
I think it was reported earlier by someone who spoke with Flare that there was no plan for an optional balanced cable for the Flares Pro. Hopefully, this will change at some time in the future.

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #458 of 544
Here is my Flares/Pono balanced combination. Needless to say, it sounds absolutely stunning. TOTL SQ without a doubt. I don't think it is the "new toy" syndrome as I was not really expecting this level of audio quality as I have previously owned the R2 Pro and R2A. While both sounded good, they didn't provided the level of performance and build quality that these deliver.

I also believe that the precision ports described by Flare really do greatly reduce ear pressure as I have worn the Flares all day without fatigue, which is unusual as my tolerance for IEM's is typically about 2 hours whether universals or my customs.

At this point, I could easily live with the Flares as my only IEM.

Flares/Pono pix below:

Super set up. Is that the Trinity Audio Engineering balanced cables?

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #459 of 544
Super set up. Is that the Trinity Audio Engineering balanced cables?

Yes, it is the one that was initially sold for use with the Atlas. Fortunately, I bought 2 of them just to have one as a spare. Very nice build quality but I don't know if they are still available. Trinity has been having some customer service issues and have not been as responsive as they were in the past. I emailed them to order a spare Atlas SE cable but never received a reply.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #460 of 544
I think it was reported earlier by someone who spoke with Flare that there was no plan for an optional balanced cable for the Flares Pro. Hopefully, this will change at some time in the future.

Hopefully it has already changed! Or it was incorrect info from whoever gave it to them... BigAund said he spoke to Flare Audio (or whomever he bought his Flares Pro from at Canjam - I assume it was Flare Audio directly) and that they were working on their own 2.5mm balanced cable!

How do they perform balanced? I've been very impressed with them so far, balanced would be another bonus. I bought mine at can jam and was told they are developing their own 2.5mm balanced cable, meanwhile this seems like a good option!

Jul 26, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #461 of 544
Hopefully it has already changed! Or it was incorrect info from whoever gave it to them... BigAund said he spoke to Flare Audio (or whomever he bought his Flares Pro from at Canjam - I assume it was Flare Audio directly) and that they were working on their own 2.5mm balanced cable!

I heard today from jackpot77 ( hope you dont mind the quote and cheers for the insight) who also hinted they might be making there own balanced cable...im just about to click buy on the flares realy looking forward to trying these.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #462 of 544
Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #464 of 544
Order placed and hopefully here by Friday, cant wait to try these out and see what the hype is about!
Engage hyperdrive

Jul 26, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #465 of 544
I spoke to the guys on the Flare stand at Canjam, as did another Head-Fi buddy who was there, and we both got told that a balanced cable was being looked at.

Got the feeling they were waiting to see how the Pro were received before pushing ahead with any add-ons. Wonder if they will consider selling a variation of their Bluetooth dongle separately at some point in the future?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back