Flare Audio – FLARES® – (R2.x successor) KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN
Jul 21, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #436 of 544
I apologize for the delay in my responding here to you both. I had a busy few days that had me away from the internet and Head-Fi, yet still close to the web technology in trying to get my internet speed issue resolved with Comcast and its fractional download speed of the gigabit service I'm paying for.

Anyways, I had written to Flare Audio about my wanting to know how the Flares Pro sound signature varies from my HiFiMan Re-800, which the Re-800 has the closest audio frequency response to my ideal preference, and asking Flare if they could either describe the Flares Pro in reference to that, or send an audio frequency response graph to me.

In the nice email they sent to me, they didn't tell me exactly which request they were going to do, but asked me to wait a bit to prepare it. So, I'm awaiting that glad they are doing something to help me have an idea on it.

The reason for my interest in the Flares Pro, is in my first line of research, when there are enough details positively leaning towards my preferences, the next step is looking for an audio frequency response graph. If I can't locate one online, but still have reason to have enough interest in an iem, then I contact the company.

I'd say the Flares Pro definitely has my strong attention. Although, it has strict competition with the HiFiMan Re-800 I already have and now with the excellent Meridian Explorer2 dac that is in my opinion a near-perfect match for the Re-800 (my reviews of both coming very soon), the Flares Pro has to match in in most ways, while lessening the bass slightly and moving the vocals a bit more forward, then it will win over the Re-800.

Since receiving my Flares Pro, I have been conducting some trials with some of my favorite test files. These files include recordings binaural thunder, audience applause and concert piano selections . I also conducted some sinewave sweeps in which I found an extremely smooth response across the entire audio spectrum. I might add that none of the enclosed tips provided me an adequate seal so I am using the large Spinfits. Piano is reproduced as well as I have heard with any phones, which I feel is a good representation of timbre quality.

I have also found that I am enjoying the balanced bluetooth module far more than I had anticipated. The sound is unbelievably good and not being tethered to my source by a cable is the ultimate in comfort.

I look forward to reading the response you receive from Flare. I have contacted them on several occasions and have always received a prompt reply.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #438 of 544
Was having a small play with Flares Pro tips on my R2Pros to listen to aspects not related to the flared shape.

From universal foams to audiophile foams to everyday silicon, the bass declines from natural and full to relatively non-existent. The psychoacoustic effect then makes the sound signature move towards tinny and important cues in bass soundstage disappear (even though the soundstage stays the same at those other frequencies - just that bass/lower-mid soundstage is important for realism, something I learned early with speakers).

Others feel the same or is this only down to how they fit my particular ears? It's completely different to that claimed by Flare Audio.

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #439 of 544
Since receiving my Flares Pro, I have been conducting some trials with some of my favorite test files. These files include recordings binaural thunder, audience applause and concert piano selections . I also conducted some sinewave sweeps in which I found an extremely smooth response across the entire audio spectrum. I might add that none of the enclosed tips provided me an adequate seal so I am using the large Spinfits. Piano is reproduced as well as I have heard with any phones, which I feel is a good representation of timbre quality.

I have also found that I am enjoying the balanced bluetooth module far more than I had anticipated. The sound is unbelievably good and not being tethered to my source by a cable is the ultimate in comfort.

I look forward to reading the response you receive from Flare. I have contacted them on several occasions and have always received a prompt reply.

Where did you get your binaural thunder tracks from? Creative Commons Licence recordings via a torrent?

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #440 of 544
So I got these adapters finally delivered to me from China. Can confirm that they do indeed work with Flares Pro.
HBbncGE.jpg

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #443 of 544
So I got these adapters finally delivered to me from China. Can confirm that they do indeed work with Flares Pro.
HBbncGE.jpg

That is cool! Great find! Is the other end of your cable single 3.5mm trs or balanced? Wondering if using this balanced is safe? If the two exposed couplers happened to touch each other, wouldn't it be the same as combining grounds? Don't want to blow up a dap. If it is a problem, some kind of insulation could be used. Thanks.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #444 of 544
That is cool! Great find! Is the other end of your cable single 3.5mm trs or balanced? Wondering if using this balanced is safe? If the two exposed couplers happened to touch each other, wouldn't it be the same as combining grounds? Don't want to blow up a dap. If it is a problem, some kind of insulation could be used. Thanks.
It's a single ended cable I have lying around, just for testing the adapters to see if they work. I haven't bought a balanced cable (or have a balanced dac... yet :wink:.

I actually took those pictures before wrapping them in blue-tack-like putty which now acts as a form of insulator and reduces the stress on the mmcx connections. Could use epoxy putty too if you want something more permanent. :)

Jul 25, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #446 of 544
Where did you get your binaural thunder tracks from? Creative Commons Licence recordings via a torrent?

No, I made them using my Zoom digital recorder and in-ear microphones.

Jul 25, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #447 of 544
I also received the MMCX couplers today from a US electronic supply company. They do work very well. I will likely use a short length of black tubing or possibly shrink-wrap to cover them.

I originally stated that none of the included tips fit and provided an adequate seal, but I realized that I had not yet tried all of the silicone tips and found that the large (red) silicone tips fit and seal perfectly. Sound is superb, so it is back in the box for my Spinfits!

Here is a pix of my "balanced" Flares using the iBasso CB12 cable and iBasso DX200.

Flares Balanced.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #448 of 544
I have to say, after a week or so with the Flares, it is actually pretty difficult to get an audible increase in SQ over the Bluetooth adapter, as long as you have a source capable of outputting AptX (imho, etc). The Bluetooth implementation is the best I have heard so far, and even running the Flares wired off an Opus #3 doesn't really make me think it's missing much when I step back to Bluetooth. Hoping the team at Flare release a balanced wired connection pack to see how good these can get when running directly from a high end balanced source.

An absolute steal at the price for the SQ and versatility on show here. I'm impressed!

Jul 25, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #449 of 544
How do they perform balanced? I've been very impressed with them so far, balanced would be another bonus. I bought mine at can jam and was told they are developing their own 2.5mm balanced cable, meanwhile this seems like a good option!

Jul 25, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #450 of 544
I was away whilst Can Jam London was on.... Would be good to hear of any other conversations people had with the Flare Audio team (assuming they were represented directly?) .

What set-up(s) did they have for demonstration out of interest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back