:flag_gb: CanJam London 2015 Is Official! August 29-30, 2015!
May 3, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #166 of 838
I would like to add. Kudos to those who are I am sure working hard to make this a great event.
On the subject of manufacturers showing us their wares, will there be a healthy smattering of enthusiasts with their personal gear?
The generosity of people happy to let strangers loose with their gear was an aspect of the events that I mentioned which amazed me and made me feel part of a community rather than an attendee at a trade show. :)

May 3, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #168 of 838

Hey Duncan.  Are there plans to have a members room at this one, or is it MOTs only?

I will know more about that on 11 May, as I and a couple of the other organisers are going to the venue to work out floor space / floor plans etc.

Will know more then...

Hi pedalhead, as Duncan pointed out we'll be discussing and finalizing specific arrangements for CanJam London's Member Showcase when us organizers meet up in person to review the venue.  That said, yes, it has always been our intention to have a nicely curated showcase that features good sounding, rare, or simply curious rigs that the local Head-Fi community would be interested in.

Hi Duncan
Further to our private exchange of PMs,the sociability thing seems to be for some, a major part of these 'meets' .
I can 'jolly' as hard as most but for me a main reason for attending these events is to listen to equipment that I'm not able to do otherwise(and do A/B test if possible).
For that,I don't need to talk to anyone.
Surely there must be facilities to accommodate both the 'talkers' and the 'listeners'.
I respect others right to talk,I hope mine(and others) right to listen is appreciated??

britneedadvice, this is something I can answer for you.  Not to put too fine a point on it, but the noise level of the show will be determined by its attendees.

We don't specifically enforce a quiet policy, because history has shows us that Head-Fiers are generally respectful of each other when it comes to maintaining a certain level of chatter and no more.  It's an unstated social contract where everyone seems to intuitively understand that many of us are there to audition new gear (or at least gear that might be new to each one of us).  Though not foolproof, this common understanding has proven to be amazingly effective in mitigating noise.  And in the rare instance that a word must be given, I've seem many attendees request a moment of reprieve from nearby chatterers, only to have their requests met with nothing but a polite and apologetic granting of such a request, without the least bit of strife.  It seems that a simple reminder is all that is needed on occasion.  
smile.gif

Of course, I should note that the noise level at any given time will fluctuate with the size of the member presence at that moment, as well as other random factors that are - frankly - beyond anyone's control.  For example, random eruptions of laughter resulting from spontaneous humorous comments and the like.  But again, those moments of sudden loudness tend to be the exception rather than the rule in a listening environment.

As for there being facilities to accommodate "talkers", I'd like to mention something interesting that we have learned from experience.  In all of the past meets we've done, and for CanJam SoCal as well, we've always rented out an extra room where people can gather and exercise their social skills.  What we have found is that these rooms are nearly always empty at any given time.  It's come to the point where we would feel fairly daft in continuing to do so, it as it now appears to have been a complete waste of space (and expense) many times over.  Will this be done for CanJam London?  We honestly cannot say at the moment as we've not come to the point where that determination needs to be made.  But again, based on past history, it has been the least utilized room - by far - at every event we've done.

May 6, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #171 of 838
May 6, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #172 of 838

Hey Duncan.  Are there plans to have a members room at this one, or is it MOTs only?

I will know more about that on 11 May, as I and a couple of the other organisers are going to the venue to work out floor space / floor plans etc.

Will know more then...

Hi pedalhead, as Duncan pointed out we'll be discussing and finalizing specific arrangements for CanJam London's Member Showcase when us organizers meet up in person to review the venue.  That said, yes, it has always been our intention to have a nicely curated showcase that features good sounding, rare, or simply curious rigs that the local Head-Fi community would be interested in.

Pleased to hear the intent is there - cheers!

May 6, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #173 of 838
  Looks like I am packing the Blue Hawaii for London!

Then we surely will meet!  :)

Anyone with a BA or Electra?

As I am coming with the Eurostar I won't be packing amps but I'll have a Lawton TH-900 with me and not only for my own testing. Anyone who wants to hear it is welcome to have a listen with me.

May 9, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #178 of 838
Got a nice surprise from my mother and sister, they went out and book my Eurostar train ticket and my hotel as a gift. They even added an extra night stay so I'll get the opportunity to hopefully visit Giselle at Aid2Hearing and CustomIEMCo for some more chances at auditions ciems.:ksc75smile:

May 9, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #180 of 838
Got a nice surprise from my mother and sister, they went out and book my Eurostar train ticket and my hotel as a gift. They even added an extra night stay so I'll get the opportunity to hopefully visit Giselle at Aid2Hearing and CustomIEMCo for some more chances at auditions ciems.:ksc75smile:

Nice. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back