Five Rules For Successful Equipment Upgrades
Dec 23, 2009 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Redcarmoose

Headphoneus Supremus
These are simple truths that I think anyone who is on an upgrade path would find helpful.

1} Make sure you try new purchases in your system before you buy.
2} Do not go by what others say but be your own judge.
3} Try to get an understanding of your systems strengths and weaknesses and find equipment that synergies.
4} Buy the most expensive and best piece to avoid the multiple micro-upgrade path.
5} Place the most emphasis on better products closer to the source. This is a way to get the most out of your components downstream and makes your source components more of a value.

Dec 23, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 35
1. not feasible 90% of the time.
2. only applies if you can hear the item yourself. even then impressions by experienced members are always helpful.
3. agree as a last step - tweaking - but not as important as 4.
4. yes. buy the best you can afford or can save for.
5. i don't get this one.

the only rule that i would espouse is to experience as much gear as you can, buy the best you can afford, and then tweak until the sound suits you.

Dec 23, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 35
6. Scrounge. Look for bargains. Some of the best audio scores have been found at the curbside.

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 35
Lazarus Short: I agree and when you find those "curbside" deals it is so cool. I bought a Sub and center speaker at a garage sale around the corner from my house a few years back. At the time I was putting together gear for a dedicated media room and never imagined I would be buying anything from a garage sale of all places. When I saw the Sub was M&K and the center speak an Infinity... If it was operational, it would be the garage sale "find" of my life! All the women knew was that her husband had "paid a lot" for the the gear. I talked her into taking $50 bucks. I got it home and hooked it up and everything sounded perfect. Went online and the Sub retailed for $1150 and the center speak was 300+!!! The Monster cable alone was worth close to $50 which justified my taking the risk in the first place. Got to love those rare find moments, ha.

I would add to the above list: Buy quality used gear over new especially on cables if you can find good deals. Also, in thinking about cable upgrades, always start with power cables first. And despite the bashers... clean power and upgraded cords in building a system is a huge difference maker and the foundation of a great rig!

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #6 of 35
Helpful rules indeed!
#1 and 2 may not be feasible for everyone or every gear though, all the time some of it may not be available to audition locally.

Setting a budget certain help a bit as well.

Dec 24, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. not feasible 90% of the time.
2. only applies if you can hear the item yourself. even then impressions by experienced members are always helpful.
3. agree as a last step - tweaking - but not as important as 4.
4. yes. buy the best you can afford or can save for.
5. i don't get this one.

the only rule that i would espouse is to experience as much gear as you can, buy the best you can afford, and then tweak until the sound suits you.

I believe His #5 Equates to the old adage of "GARBAGE IN GARBAGE OUT" or put your $$$$$ into your source equipment......and That does ring TRUE!!!Your list is right up there, for importance...

Dec 25, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
8. Stick to that budget.

Head-Fi tends to render #8 Impossible
tongue.gif

Dec 25, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #11 of 35
I don't agree with buying the most expensive gear. Price, by itself, does not indicate sound quality. Some very expensive gear is mediocre at best. You're paying a lot for prestige and a logo.

You really have to learn about what it is you're paying for. Otherwise you can easily get a few thousand into something marginal.

Dec 25, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't agree with buying the most expensive gear. Price, by itself, does not indicate sound quality. Some very expensive gear is mediocre at best. You're paying a lot for prestige and a logo.

You really have to learn about what it is you're paying for. Otherwise you can easily get a few thousand into something marginal.

Well said!

Dec 25, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
7. Set a budget
8. Stick to that budget.

Pah! Impossible!
tongue.gif

Dec 25, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well said!