Fitting triple.fi10 comfortably
Aug 24, 2009 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

drdrum

New Head-Fier
Thought I'd post on how I got my TF10's to fit comfy.
The original tips didnt fit me good as I have a small ear canal. The foam tips work but they get icky with wax after a while.
I got a pack of Shure Triple Flanged tips,I cut off the stem so there was about 1/8th"- 3/8th" left. I cut 4 slits in the stem at 12,3,6,and 9 o'clock and forced the tip on the IEM. I also cut the small tip off leaving a double flange.And I used a soldering iron to melt the small opening a bit bigger to let more sound out.
I use over the ear method. I read here that doing this looks like frankenstien so instead I put the Left IEM in my Right ear and the Right in my left ear. They fit closer to my ear and doesnt look wierd. The flanges fit snug in my ear and dont move.
I havent done this but I guess you could switch the cables so left would be left again.
Hope this helps in some way
Cheers
beerchug.gif

May 16, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #3 of 21
I know, this is a old thread, but I just want to add photos to show how you can install you Triple.FI in the way described in the first post.
In my case, I am using the Comply Tx-500 Large.  The Medium is a little more comfortable, but the large does give a better noise insulation.

The monitor is more comfortable to wear in this way and it hold better in place since it is sitting in your ear.  I don't even think about a remolding anymore.   

I will try the triple flange too just to compare the noise insulation efficiency.

Install in this way, you don't need as much tension on the cable pulling toward the back of your head helping comfort as too.

So, here is the pictures of the Triple.FI 10 and the Super.Fi 5 installed in the wrong ears.  Pretty cool.  Even more for the shorter Super.FI 3 and 5 which can fit entirely sit in my ears.  But even for the Triple.Fi, the fit is perfect for me.  

Try it and give me back some feedbacks!

May 17, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 21
yeah reversing the earpieces does eliminate a lot of the fit issue, also making them more flush with the ear is good for insertion depth.

May 17, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #6 of 21
This is the only thing that is keeping me from buying a pair of these. So many people have fit issues, so it's definitely a design problem, not people not knowing how to insert an IEM properly. And with my luck I'll be one of the people that these earphones will not fit my ears.

May 17, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #7 of 21
h8uthemost, I do not entirely agreeing with you, these IEM sound very good, and at the price you can get them these days (less then 200$ on amazon) that makes them even more interesting.  About the fit issue, I never had any, I just think it looks better that way and seems a little more stable too, but that was ok wearing them the normal way to with the proper eartips size.  

By the way,  I tried the Etys triple flange on the Triple.Fi, doesn't work that well.  The bigger flange gets to close from the enclosure and it is really hard to get a good seal.  But even if I could get the right fit, the noise insulation does not get better than the one I can get with the Comply (nothing like the ER4), and the Comply does feel more comfortable.  So, I'll stay with this solution.

May 17, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #8 of 21
i did a reverse olive tip & never looked back both interms of fit & comfort. the bonus is i got the bottom tightness of a silicon tip & reduce treble sharpness of a foamie. basically 4 in 1. 

win win for me! 

May 18, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #10 of 21
cant recall if theyre shure olives precisely but they're certainly olive type black & of a firmer foam than the complys. trick is to insert the olive tip round side in with the flatend on the outside. gives very good comfort & more importantly, great sound. heres a pic of it

May 19, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #13 of 21
When I owned the Triple.fi 10, I tried all of these mods. The flip mod (switching the left and right drivers) gave me a good seal with excellent isolation, but it also messed up the sound quite a bit (very sibilant). I think it has to do with the fact that they are not designed to be inserted deeply, but with the way my right ear canal is, it's impossible to get a seal without pushing it in pretty deep. I ended up selling them and getting the UM3X instead (no regrets).

May 19, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
Funny!  I'll try that! Thanks Scott!

no worries ya very welcome. now that u mentioned it, it does look funny! LOL. but it works like a charm though. gave me the bottom snap of a silicon (found the bass of complys too flubby) & extended treble of silicon but without the shrillness & sibilance.

discomfort's just a smidge worst than a custom (livewire) but isolations great - almost like ety tris. all in all its win win for me. let us how u like it.

May 19, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #15 of 21
I have a bunch of TX Comply foam, I will use them for now.  I like the fact that they have a protector that prevent the dirt from going into the IEM.  I'll try the Olive when I'll be done with these Comply.  I am also thinking about trying to remold my TF10 myself...  I will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back