FitEar TO GO! & Universal Series --- Suyama's custom IEM, made universal!
Jul 21, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #571 of 4,896
Quote:
I have been following this post for quite some time and would just like to chime in with one criticism or perhaps throw a wrench in this interesting back and forth about the 334s. I really think there are just too many factors to nail down the description of what a pair of IEMs sound like as we each have a different preference in sound signature. For example, I lean towards warmth with a little more emphasis on bass. So with that said I choose my equipment, amps, cables and IEMs to enhance what my preferred sound signature is. Someone who leans towards a more neutral sound will choose their equipment with that in mind and as a consequence when they hear something like the 334s with their gear based upon their signature, they will be listening for something that may not be there. Also, I find the debate interesting, but in some ways a moot point because each of us is using different gear and as a result are getting a completely different signature than each other. Now if we all had the same gear and had this debate it might be a different story. That is not to say that it is not worth having the debate, but it really does come down to personal preference and your preferred signature will influence the gear you choose.

Now with that said, I really like what I heard in the 334s. One thing that comes to mind is how much more 3-dimensional everything sounded, a sort of cutting edge feel. What I mean to say is that this 3-d feel I heard I did not hear with any other IEM I tested out. In fact comparing the UM and JH, they felt outdated, almost like old technology.

Let the smackdown begin!

Another thing I've always believed, in addition to your observations, is that with universal fit earphones there must be subtle interactions with each owner's unique ear canal shapes/contours which can affect the sound they observe. For example, something with the fit of the Westone 3, no matter what tip I tried or how deep/shallow I wore them, caused me to hear painful bite in the treble much of the time, and shallow bass. This was mysteriously quite contrary to what many of the satisfied owners heard. I just think there will always be too many variables with fit when using universals to come to reliable unanimous agreement on sound signatures... and things need to be taken 'with a grain of salt' with universals.

That said, I get a very good and reliable fit with the TG!334's, and am hearing all they're capable of, which is a lot! They've got me highly impressed. 

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #572 of 4,896
Quote:

Nice post!

It's even a little more complicated than that, as in the case of universals --and even in the case of customs-- we don't all get the same type of fit, we don't all have the same ears and, in the case of customs, not all manufacturers will get that perfect fit for us even if we sent in perfect ear impressions.

Then, of course, you will have not just different sound preferences, but differences in music taste, music type, even within the same genre (!). And then we have our particular ways of describing sound, what I call neutral, you call thin, anemic, etc. FR graphs do help in these instances, and even there, we sometimes get different graphs for the same phone! AND, although FR graphs can provide very valuable information, there's some aspects of music that it just can't measure.

Also, although this may sound a bit odd, we are not always as receptive to music as we think we are --just like we don't always enjoy a glass of fine red wine, or a good, proper espresso-- and that's why so many people who audition a phone in a shop or at a meet may not get an accurate picture of the piece of gear they're testing -- and that's not taking into account whether such auditions were done in a quiet environment or not. And then of course, we have our (male) egos, but that's getting into more complex psychological areas.

That said, and looking as if all may seem just a pointless exercise in the end, given time a pattern does seem to develop. BUT even then, we also have what I described earlier on --and unfortunately also rather common-- when several people take one person's views and start spreading the 'gospel of truth', aka a fine exercise in parroting and regurgitation.

Can I get anutha Amen!

Jul 21, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #573 of 4,896
So I finally got together with my friend who has the Westone 4's available for a comparison. I've been wanting to hear them together for a while now since I thought they would share some similarities. I can say it was a highly interesting comparison. What I found was that the TG!334 is quite a bit livelier of an earphone. I didn't expect the Westone 4 to seem so mellow when going back to it. Also, the midrange is notably pulled back in space, which I hadn't heard the whole time I had them to demo for a couple weeks. Makes sense I guess since from the beginning I've been most impressed by the midrange fullness and detail on the 334's.

Bass seemed quite comparable in terms of punch and weight, with perhaps a little more definition on the 334's. Treble and detail were quite similar too, with the 334's being somewhat more edgy, and the W4's more laid back. But the amount of detail I could hear in the highs was almost identical. The areas the 334's really excelled were in fullness through the midrange (everything sounds just so much more coherent and flowing), and in spaciousness. Also, instrument placement within the stage was a touch more distinct with the 334's. These areas of improvement over the W4's worked together to create more of an immersive headphone feel vs. a more confined IEM sensation for the Westones. They just sounded bigger, and fuller.

My buddy was quite impressed with the differences since he loves the Westone 4's (he heard things much the same way), and we were both amazed at the amount of detail and resolution available these days with quad-driver BA IEM's. 

Jul 21, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #575 of 4,896
Quote:
So I finally got together with my friend who has the Westone 4's available for a comparison. I've been wanting to hear them together for a while now since I thought they would share some similarities. I can say it was a highly interesting comparison. What I found was that the TG!334 is quite a bit livelier of an earphone. I didn't expect the Westone 4 to seem so mellow when going back to it. Also, the midrange is notably pulled back in space, which I hadn't heard the whole time I had them to demo for a couple weeks. Makes sense I guess since from the beginning I've been most impressed by the midrange fullness and detail on the 334's.

Bass seemed quite comparable in terms of punch and weight, with perhaps a little more definition on the 334's. Treble and detail were quite similar too, with the 334's being somewhat more edgy, and the W4's more laid back. But the amount of detail I could hear in the highs was almost identical. The areas the 334's really excelled were in fullness through the midrange (everything sounds just so much more coherent and flowing), and in spaciousness. Also, instrument placement within the stage was a touch more distinct with the 334's. These areas of improvement over the W4's worked together to create more of an immersive headphone feel vs. a more confined IEM sensation for the Westones. They just sounded bigger, and fuller.

My buddy was quite impressed with the differences since he loves the Westone 4's (he heard things much the same way), and we were both amazed at the amount of detail and resolution available these days with quad-driver BA IEM's. 

Being a Westone 4 owner who's considering the TG! 334's this is very useful information. Recently talking with MuppetFace had me pretty much convinced the TG! 334 would be what I was looking for in a high-end universal, your post help solidify that.

Jul 21, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #576 of 4,896
Glad to help in both cases...

Elnero, I'd say it was Muppetface's observations which helped cinch it for me too. Whether or not they're worth that 2-3X increase in price is debatable, but there is for sure a pretty big jump up in scale. Diminishing returns I guess...

Jul 21, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #577 of 4,896
Quote:
Glad to help in both cases...

Elnero, I'd say it was Muppetface's observations which helped cinch it for me too. Whether or not they're worth that 2-3X increase in price is debatable, but there is for sure a pretty big jump up in scale. Diminishing returns I guess...

Yes, I previously owned JH13Pro's, if the TG! 334's are considered in that league then I think I probably have fairly realistic expectations. I quite like the Westone 4's but probably the biggest disappointment going to those after I had to give up on the JH13's was a sense that everything seemed a bit restrained, but considering the price differential I've been happy enough with the 4's. I don't think I'll be purchasing the TG! 334's right away though, I've debated a complete system overhaul in an effort to get them now but I think I'm going to hold off for awhile.

Has anyone tried them with the new Audioquest Dragonfly? How many people are using Comply tips?

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #578 of 4,896
Quote:

Quote:
Thanks for that comparison. It helps to give me a better picture of what to expect.

x2, thanks @cn11.

"the midrange is notably pulled back in space" ... I actually like that on the W4s and your comparison confirms my assumption that the 334's midrange fullness and intimacy must be quite similar to my UERM's, i.e.probably too close for comfort in my case. Like I said to one fellow head-fier, I don't mind Margo Timmins or Melody Gardot licking my ear, but I also listen to Meat Loaf from time to time :wink:  On a more serious note, while I agree that a fuller/closer midrange helps with detail and positioning, it has the reverse effect on forward projection in my book and usually makes presentation more in-the-head for me. That said, huge compliment to the W4s for (almost) being able to keep up with much more expensive universals and customs.

Jul 22, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #579 of 4,896
Quote:

Thanks for the comparison :). Always felt that the Westone 4 would be very similar to the 334 when looking at the reviews... 

Jul 22, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #580 of 4,896
Pretty spot-on observations. The W4 are very good, but 'restrained' is a good word for them. They lack the edge in the treble to satisfy listeners like me, and lack meatiness in low end detail to satisfy other listeners. Comparing the midrange of these two earphones is unfair to W4, particularly as there is a massive price difference, not to mention, the W4 spit music from tiny apertures - things are bound to be bunched up in comparison.
Quote:

Jul 22, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #581 of 4,896
Besides the Leckerton mk2 mentioned previously in the thread, what other amps have you tried wth the 334 with good results? Pico anyone? Arrow?
Altough i feel fine with the iPhone 4, when i listen with iPod Classic i always felt that something's missing.

Jul 22, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #582 of 4,896
Besides the Leckerton mk2 mentioned previously in the thread, what other amps have you tried wth the 334 with good results? Pico anyone? Arrow?
Altough i feel fine with the iPhone 4, when i listen with iPod Classic i always felt that something's missing.

I have tried with arrow 4 S and iPhone 4 S , the sound quality very good
High : open crisp and extended in detail
Mid : sweet , lush and clear also
Bass : the best bass impact from to go 334 with this set up

Tomorrow I will try with Pico slim and Pico DAC amp

Jul 22, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #583 of 4,896
I have tried with arrow 4 S and iPhone 4 S , the sound quality very good
High : open crisp and extended in detail
Mid : sweet , lush and clear also
Bass : the best bass impact from to go 334 with this set up
Tomorrow I will try with Pico slim and Pico DAC amp

Hi rudi,

Thanks for the heads up, let us know with the Pico dac/amp.
(i don't think the slim will be a good match)

Jul 22, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #584 of 4,896
Hi rudi,
Thanks for the heads up, let us know with the Pico dac/amp.
(i don't think the slim will be a good match)

You are welcome Vitor

Please read the review below comparison between fit ear to go 334 vs ear spiral 5 ways, he has done
With headstage arrow 4 G and Pico Slim .

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=spiral%20ear%20se%205-way%20reference&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CF8QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.head-fi.org%2Ft%2F549298%2Freview-appreciation-spiral-ear-se-5-way-reference-a-new-level-of-resolution-review-posted-5-15-12&ei=kf4LUJvsLsLmrAexr9DICA&usg=AFQjCNF6EkT3VQCiaCAOSyssf9n2IpUueA

Jul 22, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #585 of 4,896
Quote:
Pretty spot-on observations. The W4 are very good, but 'restrained' is a good word for them. They lack the edge in the treble to satisfy listeners like me, and lack meatiness in low end detail to satisfy other listeners. Comparing the midrange of these two earphones is unfair to W4, particularly as there is a massive price difference, not to mention, the W4 spit music from tiny apertures - things are bound to be bunched up in comparison.

That's true, the bigger drivers, and more open sound bores help the scale of sound I'm sure. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back