FitEar TO GO! & Universal Series --- Suyama's custom IEM, made universal!
Jul 13, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #481 of 4,896
Quote:
Electronica is way too big an umbrella term to easily define in my opinion. Sort of like 'rock.'

My own tastes tend to run along the lines of:

acid house like Phuture; early Detroit techno like Model 500; Basic Channel style dubtronica and later offshoots like Monolake; Fennesz style glitch; classic IDM like AFX, Mouse on Mars, and Boards of Canada; experimental ambient stuff like The Orb; heroin house like Deepchord and Quantec; pop ambient like Wolfgang Voigt, Thomas Fehlmann and Brock Van Wey; witch house like Balam Acab; turntablism like The Samps and DJ Koze.

I would consider YMO to be electro pop, though their latest reunion tour with Fennesz has some definite electronica infused into it.

Personally I find the TO GO! 334 transparent enough to handle just about any genre under the sun at lest fairly well. I don't use EQ often myself, but I think it responds well to such things if one wanted to make slight alterations for a particular track.

Agree with this. Perhaps on music more in the metal genre, I would prefer something with a bit more bass, but for the most part I've been liking them for just about everything. Their sheer speed, transparency, and especially rich yet detailed mids cause me to enjoy them on just about everything. It's actually uncanny how connected and flowing the mids are, while being the most transparent and detailed I've ever heard. If bass is required, I just tick it up a tad where needed on my Sony X.

Jul 13, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #482 of 4,896
Ordered the 111s a few days ago. These seem to address/solve the 'infamous' ER4P/S fit issues (read: deeeeep insertion). I'm hoping they are also able to provide similar, if not slightly better SQ than the Etymotics. We'll see how they stack up against the FI-BA-SS.

Jul 13, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #484 of 4,896
Quote:
This thread is getting interesting.
@cn11, what other iem has similar bass quantity? Do they stick out of your ear as much as the ASG-1?

I would say the bass is somewhat behind the GR07 in terms of quantity, but quicker. I think it's probably a lot like the low end of the Westone 4. I'll get a chance to hear those side by side later this weekend. Obviously the bass is totally different than that of the MG6Pro... 

As for size, I think they do stick out a bit more than the ASG-1. The round outer part where the cable connects sort of juts out a bit. Guess it depends on how deep they naturally settle in your ears. Although I find a not terribly deep fit is great with them. Sonically, I'm quickly enjoying them a good deal better than my ASG-1.2's. 

Jul 13, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #485 of 4,896
Quote:

I would say the bass is somewhat behind the GR07 in terms of quantity, but quicker. I think it's probably a lot like the low end of the Westone 4. I'll get a chance to hear those side by side later this weekend. Obviously the bass is totally different than that of the MG6Pro... 

As for size, I think they do stick out a bit more than the ASG-1. The round outer part where the cable connects sort of juts out a bit. Guess it depends on how deep they naturally settle in your ears. Although I find a not terribly deep fit is great with them. Sonically, I'm quickly enjoying them a good deal better than my ASG-1.2's. 

Well, I don't want anything that even sounds close to the FS.  I'm trying to put that experience behind me, so less quantity than the mg6pro is a good thing.  Zero upper mid echo and harshness would be a beautiful thing.

Looking at both Sonove graphs for the W4 and 334, it looks like the FitEar extends deeper in sub bass but similar mid bass.  Seems like the 334 would also be brighter and more up front through the mids and treble than the W4 too.  I would like to hear your impressions between the two after you get to hear it this weekend.  Would you describe the 334 vocals as upfront and sweet?

The ASG-1's stuck out a little more than I'd like, due to the upper bump on the housing.  Has anyone posted an picture in the ear that maybe I've missed?

Jul 13, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #486 of 4,896
Quote:

One thing that gets rarely mentioned in discussions about bass quantity, is people's preferred listening volume. Equal-loudness contours vary with volume, so it's entirely plausible that bassier IEMs may sound just right to low volume listeners, whereas high volume listeners may consider less bassy IEMs more accurate. "Accuracy" is actually pretty relative in this context. jm2c.

Yeah, perceptions of bass quantity tend to increase with increased volume, and when in evaluation mode I try to listen to a wider range of volumes than I would normally. My statements about accuracy in that respect are more or less an attempt to generalize from that range. I don't so much scrutinize in individual sessions as I try to get a general feel after spending a certain amount of time with it in different contexts, including a wide range of genres since source material plays a role too. Then there's just differing tastes and tolerances which shape our personal definitions. I think ideally terms like accuracy, transparency and neutrality shouldn't be subject to too subjective an interpretation, though the reality of the situation is often far from ideal. It's easier to look at an FR graph and say "well that looks flat" than it is to parse that from listening due to a number of personal factors.

For general listening I prefer lower volumes, and the TO GO! 334 seems fairly spot on in my estimation, though it also doesn't strike me as overtly bassy even at higher volumes relative to other earphones.

Jul 13, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #487 of 4,896
Quote:

Well, I don't want anything that even sounds close to the FS.  I'm trying to put that experience behind me, so less quantity than the mg6pro is a good thing.  Zero upper mid echo and harshness would be a beautiful thing.

Looking at both Sonove graphs for the W4 and 334, it looks like the FitEar extends deeper in sub bass but similar mid bass.  Seems like the 334 would also be brighter and more up front through the mids and treble than the W4 too.  I would like to hear your impressions between the two after you get to hear it this weekend.  Would you describe the 334 vocals as upfront and sweet?

The ASG-1's stuck out a little more than I'd like, due to the upper bump on the housing.  Has anyone posted an picture in the ear that maybe I've missed?

I think from recalling the last time I listened to the W4's, which wasn't more than a week or so ago, that yes that is right on about the mids and treble. A touch more up front and slightly brighter than the W4 through those areas. In using the TG! 334's (I sort of like that abbreviation for them) with my Objective2, I find them borderline harsh/too bright, but with a more mellow source they're sublime. Actually though, a couple of my harshness test tracks still managed to pass with flying colors even with the Objective2, so it must just be some ambiguous impression I have with that combination. 

Regarding bass, I would say there's no bleed into the  midrange at all, so that's not a concern. And vocals are really wonderful.... full, rich, not too sweet not too cold, and uber-detailed. I was literally understanding lyrics I had always heard as confused and not able to be made out. The midrange is what is impressing me most of all so far. 

Jul 14, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #488 of 4,896
Quote:
The TO GO! 334 sounds excellent with electronica, unless of course you want something extremely colored in the lower region. However I find there's more risk of intrusion into the midrange and getting a "one-note" bass when you go for greater levels of quantity.

The TO GO! 334 has a very well articulated, well extended and textured bass. Any more quantity and it simply wouldn't be as accurate. Fortunately the bass doesn't seem to have much distortion, so I imagine it would respond very well to EQing if you wanted to give it a little boost for certain tracks. The versatility and chameleon-like quality of the TO GO! 334 is a virtue at its price point I feel; there are certainly more specialized sound signatures out there, but I find they usually come at the expense of versatility. I don't want every track to sound overly bassy myself, only those tracks that call for it, which I feel the TO GO! 334 does quite well (without EQ either).

Looks like I am running out of excuses! Should work well with the following EQ on my RME

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #490 of 4,896
I have listened to the To Go 111 and 334 today. 

I love the 334 so much! I am getting a pair for myself. 

As for the 111, as an homage to the ER4S, I believe Fitear has reached its goal. It's very light sounding, with mid forward and smooth high. I have listened to ER4S briefly, but not liking it. So far, this sounds smoother but once I compared to 334, I know that 334 is what I wanted. 

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #491 of 4,896

As for the 111, as an homage to the ER4S, I believe Fitear has reached its goal. It's very light sounding, with mid forward and smooth high. I have listened to ER4S briefly, but not liking it. So far, this sounds smoother but once I compared to 334, I know that 334 is what I wanted. 

What other iems did you compared it to?
That listening session was long? What source, player?
Unamped?

:)

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #492 of 4,896
Quote:

Are you married?
Any kids?
Are you a vegetarian?
What sort of music do you normally listen to?
Do you like pizza?
Do you like Gazpacho?
Do you like reading?
Do you enjoy video games?
Is a large part of your life devoted to video games and watching anime?
Did you have a few drinks before testing both FitEar IEMs?
Are you a happy man?
Did you sleep well last night?
Before falling in love with the 334s, did you think the SM3 was the best universal ever?
Before falling in love with the 334s, did you think the GR07 was the best universal ever?
Before falling in love with the 334s, did you think the ASG-1 was the best universal ever?
What's your favourite newspaper?
Do you drive an expensive car?
Do you think we can learn from our elders?
Do you think Tom Cruise should get married again?
Was Bach as good as Michael Jackson?

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #493 of 4,896
Quote:

Are you married?
Any kids?
Are you a vegetarian?
What sort of music do you normally listen to?
Do you like pizza?
Do you like Gazpacho?
Do you like reading?
Do you enjoy video games?
Is a large part of your life devoted to video games and watching anime?
Did you have a few drinks before testing both FitEar IEMs?
Are you a happy man?
Did you sleep well last night?
Before falling in love with the 334s, did you think the SM3 was the best universal ever?
Before falling in love with the 334s, did you think the GR07 was the best universal ever?
Before falling in love with the 334s, did you think the ASG-1 was the best universal ever?
What's your favourite newspaper?
Do you drive an expensive car?
Do you think we can learn from our elders?
Do you think Tom Cruise should get married again?
Was Bach as good as Michael Jackson?

Yeah, forgot that ones!
Thanks G! You rule!

Jul 16, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #495 of 4,896

[/quote]

What other iems did you compared it to?
That listening session was long? What source, player?
Unamped?

:)[/quote]

I have listened to the 334 during tokyo headphone festival using my ipod classic.

Yesterday, I listened to it again in Jakarta, using my iphone 4. No amp/dac yet. I have a go dap 4 that i will listen to the 334 again tomorrow. It was not a long session. Just a quick impression.

Will use the to go 334 again tomorrow for work at an Indonesian Idol event.

I am a mix engineer by trade. Mixing for Dira Sugandi, an Indonesian singer who has sung with Jason Mraz, Andrea Bocelli, Incognito. She will be singing with the idol runner up. Dira doesnt have a custom iem yet. Would be nice to let her try the To Go 334.

Will update here her impressions when using it as listening to music and also when listening to a monitor mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back