FitEar TO GO! & Universal Series --- Suyama's custom IEM, made universal!
Apr 20, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #3,526 of 4,896
Why is it that Fitear use proprietary connectors? What are there advantages/disadvantages in comparison to the conventional two pin connector. Furthermore, is it possible to get aftermarket cables?

Those connectors are based on ones of hearing aids, which are another line of product FitEar manufactures along with CIEM. Back in 2007 FitEar used the same connectors as other companies on the market, however Suyama-san realized that those connectors are not as durable and more more fragile compared to those of hearing aids. The transition came in the year after or so.

Regarding aftermarket cables, you should look into FitEar's appreciation thread for more info.

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #3,527 of 4,896
Hi Aero.  A new information I came across from AB'ing my DACs and Amps.  The source of the sound I like coming out of Objective combo was the ODAC, not the amp.  The reason why I say this is I compared with my other DACs, and the ODAC keeps the sound refined.  I just recently got a really powerful amp called Beta 22 for my LCD-2 and O2 doesn't fare well with it.  So, the point is it was the ODAC that I was really liking to listen to with all my headphones.  
L3000.gif

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #3,528 of 4,896
Why is it that Fitear use proprietary connectors? What are there advantages/disadvantages in comparison to the conventional two pin connector. Furthermore, is it possible to get aftermarket cables?

I've wondered the same thing.  But yes you can get aftermarket cables from, among others, Toxic Cables, Whiplash, BTG.

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #3,531 of 4,896
Would it be wise to say that JH and many others use inferior connectors. I noticed westone and shure do not use two pin either.

The connectors are becoming less standardized as there are many types coming out for different manufacturers.  I believe all custom iems makers traditionally used the same connectors and now Roxanne has it's own type, shure started detachable that are different from Roxanne.  Also, Fitear's connectors are different from traditional CIEM connectors, there is a notch on the pin to keep the connector in place also the thickness of each pin are different regarding the polarity.  Also univerals, AT started having detachables and has it's own type I believe. Shure also.  Not sure about Westone, UE, and 1964 though, if they are changing their connectors, I thought they haven't changed, but started having recessed sockets.

In regards to inferior, it's possible one type may not be as durable as another.  My 1964 connector which is the traditional type, one of the sockets started widening over time, and the iem would fall out from time to time. Also, recessed sockets would be better for traditional two pin types as the pins will not easily snap off as the not recessed.

Also, you got to think about the strength the cables can withstand.  My 334 got cought on a door knob and force of my body motion stripped the 3.5mm connector off.  The Shure 846 cable is covered of Kevlar and from the feel of it, it should take on a lot more force than the hand made 334 cables.

Regarding the Westone and Shure, even if it does not appear to use two pins, it's probably using a connector conceptually the same as coaxial.  Ground on one ring and signal on another.  I personally think connectors look durable.

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #3,532 of 4,896
Would it be wise to say that JH and many others use inferior connectors. I noticed westone and shure do not use two pin either.

To me, yes. But it's worth mentioning that the conventional 2 pin connectors & sockets  are readily available and you can get it pretty much everywhere (US, EU, Asia etc) for not so much, thus explaining their popularity. 

On the same note, Suyama-san is revising the connector design again, strengthened plastic mold and a new shape so that it's easier to unplug the connectors. Announcement might come in the next few months, probably after the Fujiya avic meet held next month. 

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #3,533 of 4,896
To me, yes. But it's worth mentioning that the conventional 2 pin connectors & sockets  are readily available and you can get it pretty much everywhere (US, EU, Asia etc) for not so much, thus explaining their popularity. 

On the same note, Suyama-san is revising the connector design again, strengthened plastic mold and a new shape so that it's easier to unplug the connectors. Announcement might come in the next few months, probably after the Fujiya avic meet held next month. 

And will probably be launching their new universal IEM.

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #3,534 of 4,896

Interesting, I was unaware of this. I would much rather prefer to have a premium proprietary connector than a cheap standard. On your Fitears how are the cable connections holding up? Is there any widening of the female connector bending of the male connector? Or possible scratch marks from where the pins have missed the insertion point?

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #3,535 of 4,896
Interesting, I was unaware of this. I would much rather prefer to have a premium proprietary connector than a cheap standard. On your Fitears how are the cable connections holding up? Is there any widening of the female connector bending of the male connector? Or possible scratch marks from where the pins have missed the insertion point?

The FitEars are not mine, they are my friend's, but I drop by to play around with them from time to time and after a year I never heard of or experienced any problem with their connection. Female sockets are probably the 2nd strongest part of the IEM besides the acrylic filled shells. The socket is 1 whole piece molded together with the faceplate and thus even stronger than the male connectors on the cables.

The pins on the male connectors are not as pointed compared to the conventional 2 pin it's very hard to put a scratch on the socket's housing, unless you use too much force.

The thing with FitEar is, they are originally a hearing aid company first and has made a name for themselves in Japan long before joining the CIEM industry. Suyama-san can revise any part of his CIEM anytime thanks to his connection with the other companies providing parts for making audiology products. Actually FitEar's faceplate design is an adjusted version of an ITE hearing aid's with its battery drawer replaced by the 2 pin socket we see now.

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #3,536 of 4,896

I have the Parterre, and I was initially concerned about durability, but haven't had a bit of problem.  Connectors fit pretty snugly, though I'm not switching cables or wearing on the go.  But I've used the stock, BTG, and Whiplash with them.

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #3,537 of 4,896
The FitEars are not mine, they are my friend's, but I drop by to play around with them from time to time and after a year I never heard of or experienced any problem with their connection. Female sockets are probably the 2nd strongest part of the IEM besides the acrylic filled shells. The socket is 1 whole piece molded together with the faceplate and thus even stronger than the male connectors on the cables.

The pins on the male connectors are not as pointed compared to the conventional 2 pin it's very hard to put a scratch on the socket's housing, unless you use too much force.

The thing with FitEar is, they are originally a hearing aid company first and has made a name for themselves in Japan long before joining the CIEM industry. Suyama-san can revise any part of his CIEM anytime thanks to his connection with the other companies providing parts for making audiology products. Actually FitEar's faceplate design is an adjusted version of an ITE hearing aid's with its battery drawer replaced by the 2 pin socket we see now.

Is it necessary for the female connector to protrude from the faceplate or is this just an alternate design choice + what is the difference between the current connector and the incoming version. Is it often fitear (IEM companies in general) revise the connectors?

Apr 20, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #3,538 of 4,896
Can anyone recommend a shop that has them is stock? Came across AV One from Singapore. They sell them for S$1999, so roughly $1600 USD!
I read somewhere that they only carry "PI-sets". Can someone please explain to me what the difference is between PI sets and a non-PI sets? 

Apr 20, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #3,539 of 4,896
  Can anyone recommend a shop that has them is stock? Came across AV One from Singapore. They sell them for S$1999, so roughly $1600 USD!
I read somewhere that they only carry "PI-sets". Can someone please explain to me what the difference is between PI sets and a non-PI sets? 

I'm sure there are other shops that carry them. Here's one. 

http://www.aloaudio.com/earphones/fit-ear

Lower than 1600. Sorry I can't help with what PI set means. Only PI I know is 3.14159.

Apr 20, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #3,540 of 4,896
  I'm sure there are other shops that carry them. Here's one. 

http://www.aloaudio.com/earphones/fit-ear

Lower than 1600. Sorry I can't help with what PI set means. Only PI I know is 3.14159.

Well, I wasn't able to find any. 
redface.gif
 Sent mails to a couple shops but they're all out of stock, including ALO. 

Here's were I read about the PI stuff (post #2629ff): http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/headphones-earphones-portable-media-devices-314/fitear-tio-poison-thread-4247914-176.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back