Fit for a Bat! – Flagship IEMs Shootout (8:CT6E, 7:H8P, 6:JH13, 5:K10, 4:BD4.2, 3:A12, 2:W500, 1:SE5U)
Mar 15, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #1,036 of 1,062
  Looking forward to the next review!
wink.gif

Could you pass me the sunscreen please?
rolleyes.gif

Hahaha. Coming...

Stay tuned!

Nice! Just when I almost gave up all hope on a FFAB2
biggrin.gif

Please remind me: which contenders will show up?

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #1,038 of 1,062
  Hahaha. Coming. I have just finalised my review system. A change is coming. I think it's for the better, but I don't think everyone will like it. I have decided to do away with numerical scores, and instead slot each IEM into a tier. 90+, 85-90, 80-85, etc etc. You get the idea. Of course, since it's a shootout, they will be ranked within that tier, but no 'scores' this time. No component scores, no final scores. I just don't think that is the right way anymore.

My experience with my Stax SR009 was really instrumental in bringing forth this change. That headphone is really holographic and uncannily real- goosebumpily real- but because of its mosquito-bite bass would have done poorly on my previous scale. It also sounds like **** on pop and vocals in general. So, no dice. But put on some classical music and wow, watch this soar. Ask my overall impression though, and my unreserved words would be, 'top of the class at what it does'. I would score it in the 90+ category, but my previous system wouldn't have allowed that. Hence, this change.

IEMs are the same. Some IEMs are going to be good at certain things, certain genres. Other IEMs are going to have different strengths and weaknesses. To reduce all that to a number would, I fear, lead someone down the wrong path, picking a higher scoring IEM which may not suit them as well.

So I'm going to start scoring like this instead. You'll get tiers reflecting the overall score of the IEM, and then for everything else about the IEM... Read my damn review :)

Stay tuned!

Excellent idea that I'll be stealing.

Apr 27, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #1,039 of 1,062
The first of my IEMs in the shootout has been reviewed. It's a launch of a new company so it has its own thread.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/warbler-audios-prelude-ciem-a-labour-of-love.845592/

My shootout is not going from last to first like it was last time. I thought about it, and it really isn't pleasant to come in last given that I have so many this time around and many are very good. So instead I'll be going randomly, IEM by IEM. :)

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #1,043 of 1,062
Jul 26, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #1,046 of 1,062
Is Jelt still reviewing these? have been patiently waiting for the next review for a while now

Jul 26, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #1,047 of 1,062
Is Jelt still reviewing these? have been patiently waiting for the next review for a while now
Jelt's review is complete. SE5U was selected number one.

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #1,048 of 1,062
Jelt's review is complete. SE5U was selected number one.

He's referring to FFAB2 which has yet to begin apart from the Warbler Prelude review (I'm not sure if the VE5 review is part of the shoot-out, or if it's merely a one-off).

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #1,049 of 1,062
Heh. It was part of the shoot-out. I'm going to make it obvious how they compare, but you'll have to read- no exact numerical scores this time. I don't want to make a clearly subjective thing too objective.

To be honest, been very busy with my Blu2 and my Abyss Phi. On the flip side, I'm getting neck ache listening too much to headphones so IEMs are gonna be very much back in flavour for me.

And my ears are much more critical now. Much!

Akan datang, coming soon.

Oct 1, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #1,050 of 1,062
I believe that this thread is the best place for my question... I found that sennheiser ie800 is a my favorite sounding iem ever, it's just exact my "perfect sound", now i'm trying to get one of the Ciem's, and i would like to know is it possible to find any customs with similar soung signature to IE800.
I'm trying to find out it for a loooong time, and there is no information about it anywhere, so maybe some of you guys ever get chance to experience similar SQ of IE800 in any CIEM's. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back