Fit for a Bat! – Flagship IEMs Shootout (8:CT6E, 7:H8P, 6:JH13, 5:K10, 4:BD4.2, 3:A12, 2:W500, 1:SE5U)
Jan 16, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #1,022 of 1,062
hey @jelt2359  how is JH13 compared to the NT6 - would you consider it an up/down or sidegrade ?

thank you

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #1,023 of 1,062
hey @jelt2359
  how is JH13 compared to the NT6 - would you consider it an up/down or sidegrade ?

thank you

Haven't heard the NT6 much but from what I did, I think it's a better IEM than the JH13.

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #1,024 of 1,062
Jelt vs Flickenick, battle of the reviewers.  I noticed Flickenick has nicked some of your style with regard to the beautiful photography!
wink.gif
  I hope to join you guys some day up there in review heaven, I've been doing double duty lately on getting reviews together lately.

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #1,027 of 1,062
Jason and Nic, not a battle, but rather a celebration of iems, music, and big ears. :blush: Jason has been seriously distracted with full size headphones and desk top gear. I fear he may never come back; right Jason? :money_mouth:

Recently I began hooking up my big rig, Chord Dave as a dac, with network streamer feeding it, and sending to my Alo CDM amp. Sounds good, to say the least :)

Feb 2, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #1,028 of 1,062
Recently I began hooking up my big rig, Chord Dave as a dac, with network streamer feeding it, and sending to my Alo CDM amp. Sounds good, to say the least
smily_headphones1.gif

CDM is spectacular; so warm signature, spacious stage, excellent dynamics and lush midrange.  Any thoughts on CDM vs V5.

Feb 2, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #1,029 of 1,062

CDM is spectacular; so warm signature, spacious stage, excellent dynamics and lush midrange.  Any thoughts on CDM vs V5.

Haven't heard v5, can't say. The CDM is really coloured, but it's kinda proud of it. Ha.

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #1,030 of 1,062
Some quick thoughts on the W900, which is not part of FFAB2:

I really like how fast and precise these drivers are. So far none of my other IEMs get even close to its speed; I had to turn to my Focal Utopia to hear a faster driver. I also like how coherent it sounds- very important for a hybrid. Also, the tuning is pretty good for my tastes. For example, my Adel A12 is significantly warmer and has a noticeably softer edge. The W900 is clear, focused, spacious, and smooth. Separation is also very good.

Current chain:
sOTM SMS-200 Streamer>
Chord Dave DAC (digital volume control in use)>
TTVJ Millet Hybrid Portable Amp (volume control maxxed, to take its pot out of the chain)

Feb 3, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #1,031 of 1,062
  Some quick thoughts on the W900, which is not part of FFAB2:

I really like how fast and precise these drivers are. So far none of my other IEMs get even close to its speed; I had to turn to my Focal Utopia to hear a faster driver. I also like how coherent it sounds- very important for a hybrid. Also, the tuning is pretty good for my tastes. For example, my Adel A12 is significantly warmer and has a noticeably softer edge. The W900 is clear, focused, spacious, and smooth. Separation is also very good.

Current chain:
sOTM SMS-200 Streamer>
Chord Dave DAC (digital volume control in use)>
TTVJ Millet Hybrid Portable Amp (volume control maxxed, to take its pot out of the chain)

cool

Feb 4, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #1,032 of 1,062
I've discovered that I can use an adaptor and plug my iems into my desktop rig and it works fine. So now I'm experimenting using my EC Studio as a source! Sounds incredible.

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #1,035 of 1,062
Hahaha. Coming. I have just finalised my review system. A change is coming. I think it's for the better, but I don't think everyone will like it. I have decided to do away with numerical scores, and instead slot each IEM into a tier. 90+, 85-90, 80-85, etc etc. You get the idea. Of course, since it's a shootout, they will be ranked within that tier, but no 'scores' this time. No component scores, no final scores. I just don't think that is the right way anymore.

My experience with my Stax SR009 was really instrumental in bringing forth this change. That headphone is really holographic and uncannily real- goosebumpily real- but because of its mosquito-bite bass would have done poorly on my previous scale. It also sounds like **** on pop and vocals in general. So, no dice. But put on some classical music and wow, watch this soar. Ask my overall impression though, and my unreserved words would be, 'top of the class at what it does'. I would score it in the 90+ category, but my previous system wouldn't have allowed that. Hence, this change.

IEMs are the same. Some IEMs are going to be good at certain things, certain genres. Other IEMs are going to have different strengths and weaknesses. To reduce all that to a number would, I fear, lead someone down the wrong path, picking a higher scoring IEM which may not suit them as well.

So I'm going to start scoring like this instead. You'll get tiers reflecting the overall score of the IEM, and then for everything else about the IEM... Read my damn review :)

Stay tuned!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back