Fit for a Bat! – Flagship IEMs Shootout (8:CT6E, 7:H8P, 6:JH13, 5:K10, 4:BD4.2, 3:A12, 2:W500, 1:SE5U)
Dec 1, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #766 of 1,062

Ah, great insight and I've already found that after acquiring the A6 my other IEM's (esp. previous favorite Fidue A83) sound overly colorized and bright. The A83 are still good fun but in shorter stretches only. Indeed, I find the A6 quite neutral and balanced and perhaps only lacking in a little upper end "sparkle" / bell like quality that I enjoy with classical piano music and sheen / shimmer of cymbals, for example. But they are never brittle or sibilant, and that's a trade-off I can live with. I posted my brief impressions of the A6 here.

So probably I'll stay with the A6, but other opinions welcomed!

The A83 has a very unique imaging and presentation, but they're not my sound. As you said, the treble is hot, and I also think the mids are not my favourite.

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #767 of 1,062

I believe the A6 is more of a fun sound (I've not tried it) and the A10 measures more neutral/ flat (I've only tried the universal demo). Be warned, neutral signatures can be somewhat of an acquired taste if you're not used to them. On the other hand if you are, you're unlikely to listen to anything else.

Ah, great insight and I've already found that after acquiring the A6 my other IEM's (esp. previous favorite Fidue A83) sound overly colorized and bright. The A83 are still good fun but in shorter stretches only. Indeed, I find the A6 quite neutral and balanced and perhaps only lacking in a little upper end "sparkle" / bell like quality that I enjoy with classical piano music and sheen / shimmer of cymbals, for example. But they are never brittle or sibilant, and that's a trade-off I can live with. I posted my brief impressions of the A6 here.

So probably I'll stay with the A6, but other opinions welcomed!

No real need for me to reply here, but I will anyway :wink: 

I just received my A6's back from re-fit (very fast service BTW), and I am even more pleased with them than I was initially. Like you, I was a little put-off by the apparent lack of upper end sparkle, but I'm really enjoying their balanced, non-sibilant presentation. 

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #768 of 1,062
Just got my Custom Art Harmony 8 (non pros) a couple days ago, at first they felt big but now they feel good with a perfect seal. Need to work on being able to remove them more quickly though.

I will need a couple weeks to get used to it but some initial impressions.

-Details in the mids is amazing

-Isolation is insane (obviously)

-Cord gets tangled super easily

-Lacking the sub bass, a bit hard coming from bass heavy iems (Rha ma750) but I think with time I will get used to it

-Highs are rolled off, which I knew going into this. Not sure if they are too rolled off for my tastes, but I got these for stuff like the Beatles and similar things that did not sound so great on my RHAs

-Mids are less coloured than the 650s, I feel like on the 650s vocals were very often forward, now it seems to really vary between artists/songs.

-Impressed by the soundstage and separation.

-Highs seem more rolled off than the 650s, same with the bass, probably because of the 650s more pronounced mid bass hump. I think my crack + speedball/diff tubes helped improve those areas on my 650s. Currently running these ciems through my MacBook Pro, considering getting something like the fiio e10k but undecided as of now.

So I will need to take some time with these, they can do some amazing things, but for the price they should be good all rounders as well. Time will tell ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #769 of 1,062
Just got my Custom Art Harmony 8 (non pros) a couple days ago, at first they felt big but now they feel good with a perfect seal. Need to work on being able to remove them more quickly though.

I will need a couple weeks to get used to it but some initial impressions.

-Details in the mids is amazing

-Isolation is insane (obviously)

-Cord gets tangled super easily

-Lacking the sub bass, a bit hard coming from bass heavy iems (Rha ma750) but I think with time I will get used to it

-Highs are rolled off, which I knew going into this. Not sure if they are too rolled off for my tastes, but I got these for stuff like the Beatles and similar things that did not sound so great on my RHAs

-Mids are less coloured than the 650s, I feel like on the 650s vocals were very often forward, now it seems to really vary between artists/songs.

-Impressed by the soundstage and separation.

-Highs seem more rolled off than the 650s, same with the bass, probably because of the 650s more pronounced mid bass hump. I think my crack + speedball/diff tubes helped improve those areas on my 650s. Currently running these ciems through my MacBook Pro, considering getting something like the fiio e10k but undecided as of now.

So I will need to take some time with these, they can do some amazing things, but for the price they should be good all rounders as well. Time will tell ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Try an amp, an amp helped the bass thump a bit more.

Dec 7, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #771 of 1,062
Cayin C5 worked for me initially, but after months of owning the H8P my ears have adapted to its unique signature and no longer need the amp.

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #775 of 1,062
  Great review again, full description of the sound!

Yes, very nice review. 

Thank you mates 
beerchug.gif

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #776 of 1,062
I have a question concerning the SE5 Ultimate. I read most of the reviews of this ciem, but I can't help but notice contradicting views in the statements made, about the bass for example. I've already read the bass to be 'earth-shaking', 'LCD2-like' but on the other hand also 'light and fluffly bass, mids, treble'. I'm also aware about its 'chameleon-like' qualities, that it's able to adapt to the recording. But earth-shaking and light and fluffy is almost like different iem's are described!
Any comments on this?

Oh and by the way, my ear impressions are already with Grzegorz :p. At the moment I'm still enjoying my Dunu DN-1000. I guess it can't reach to the dynamic driver level of bass of these. But I can't wait on the signal from Grzegorz that my SE5 are ready to be build (he already mentioned that my ear canals are on the verge of being to small). Fingers crossed.

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #777 of 1,062
Well I guess you'll find out soon, won't you :)

Definitely not earth shaking. But then context is key. I'd call something like aaw's w500 earthshaking. Maybe the guys you read are comparing to something else?

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #778 of 1,062
Thanks for your reply. There aren't that many SE5 reviews, so I guess a lot of people have read the reviews which I'm referring to. I'll see soon, like you said. Looking forward to a fun and toe-tapping time!

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #779 of 1,062
  Thanks for your reply. There aren't that many SE5 reviews, so I guess a lot of people have read the reviews which I'm referring to. I'll see soon, like you said. Looking forward to a fun and toe-tapping time!

Jealous!  I want a pair!

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #780 of 1,062
Yes, congrats! SE5 has always had my interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back