Fit for a Bat! – Flagship IEMs Shootout (8:CT6E, 7:H8P, 6:JH13, 5:K10, 4:BD4.2, 3:A12, 2:W500, 1:SE5U)
Sep 22, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #406 of 1,062
Heard the SE5way Ref and it has perhaps one of the most terrible imaging I've ever heard from a TOTL ciem. As a result it sounded veiled and muddy... 
I suspect it was a time/phase problem resulting from the 5-way design.

I wonder how well the Ult had solved this issue. 
And in case anyone is interested, I consider the imaging of Layla, Mason and VE6 as the best, and that of UE18, Piano Forte X-G and W60 as the worst. 

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #407 of 1,062
I have or have had several ciems : Miracles, NT6, Roxannes, SE5 Reference, MH335DW and hear a few others. Some I really love, but in terms of getting the perfect mix of fidelity and musicality, none touch the SE5 Ultimate IMHO. I have tons of fun with my 846, but when I pop the Ult...man it's like switching from a nice frozen coke (really nice) to a great vintage of fresh white wine.

fantastic to hear considering it's one im considering purchasing this week. I am coming from the jh16's so naturally they had tons of bass (overdone at times) just wondering how the se5 ults would compare. I listen to a lot of edm lately along with rock and rap some instrumentals to 

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #408 of 1,062
  Heard the SE5way Ref and it has perhaps one of the most terrible imaging I've ever heard from a TOTL ciem. As a result it sounded veiled and muddy... 

And in case anyone is interested, I consider the imaging of Layla, Mason and VE6 as the best, and that of UE18, Piano Forte X-G and W60 as the worst. 

ok hopefully the ult has drastically changed this haha. Isn't the mason only available overseas? 

I''ve read solid things about the ve-6. Care to expand on your thoughts about them?

Sep 22, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #409 of 1,062
I have or have had several ciems : Miracles, NT6, Roxannes, SE5 Reference, MH335DW and hear a few others. Some I really love, but in terms of getting the perfect mix of fidelity and musicality, none touch the SE5 Ultimate IMHO. I have tons of fun with my 846, but when I pop the Ult...man it's like switching from a nice frozen coke (really nice) to a great vintage of fresh white wine.

I have a theory about silicone CIEMs that they can only be fitted properly once they've been in your ears for half an hour or so. Whether that theory is applicable only to myself I'm not sure, but the SE5 seems to have as many detractors as fans and I've always wondered why that is. How come so many non-owners have heard it?

Sep 22, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #410 of 1,062
I have a theory about silicone CIEMs that they can only be fitted properly once they've been in your ears for half an hour or so. Whether that theory is applicable only to myself I'm not sure, but the SE5 seems to have as many detractors as fans and I've always wondered why that is. How come so many non-owners have heard it?

What are some negatives? I have really only read positive reviews. That is a good point they aren't available in universal so how is that even possible?

Sep 22, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #412 of 1,062
  I let friends, colleagues and my roommate listen to my customs.. In my experience it's more an exception than rule someone can't get a decent fit from my ciems.

I've noticed that it's easier to try someone else's customs and get a descent fit if their ears are smaller than the person trying the iems. I'm able to try my brother's customs and get an descent seal (if I hold the eims in place), but he is unable to try mine.

Sep 22, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #413 of 1,062

ok hopefully the ult has drastically changed this haha. Isn't the mason only available overseas? 

I''ve read solid things about the ve-6. Care to expand on your thoughts about them?

TOTL IEMs are mostly mid/midbass-centric (Layla, JH13/16, SEM6, 846, Mason, A12, 334/335, SE5, K10, you name it). But in terms of tuning, VE6, Mentor, K3003, EX1000 and DN2000J are the only IEMs I've tried that remind me of a full-size phone - almost balance across the entire frequency range. 
And among these, to my ears the VE6 is the winner if we only talk about stock cables. 

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #414 of 1,062
+1, I also found the VE6 really impressive sounding. Very nice tonal balance with details to spare, bass that leaves nothing to be desired (in "X1" mode) without being overwhelming, and build quality that is top-notch all-around.

Sep 22, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #415 of 1,062
wish i had the ability to listen to these other TOTL iems but despite the low rank im loving the CT6E

Sep 22, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #416 of 1,062
  wish i had the ability to listen to these other TOTL iems but despite the low rank im loving the CT6E

There is no low rank or slouch among these ciems!  Remember these are all top shelf phones.  Enjoy! 
beerchug.gif

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #417 of 1,062
TOTL IEMs are mostly mid/midbass-centric (Layla, JH13/16, SEM6, 846, Mason, A12, 334/335, SE5, K10, you name it). But in terms of tuning, VE6, Mentor, K3003, EX1000 and DN2000J are the only IEMs I've tried that remind me of a full-size phone - almost balance across the entire frequency range. 
And among these, to my ears the VE6 is the winner if we only talk about stock cables. 

Haven't heard the others you mentioned, however I own the A12 and had the K12 for the greater part of a week when they were on tour last summer. IMO, labeling these two phones "mid/mid-bass centric" is a significant mischaracterization of their sound and a disservice to those considering the various TOTL CIEMs.

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #418 of 1,062
Haven't heard the others you mentioned, however I own the A12 and had the K12 for the greater part of a week when they were on tour last summer. IMO, labeling these two phones "mid/mid-bass centric" is a significant mischaracterization of their sound and a disservice to those considering the various TOTL CIEMs.
"k12"?is it noble new flagship?

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #419 of 1,062

Well based on his judgment on the SE5 Reference, it seems people can have very very different perceptions on TOTLs...

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #420 of 1,062

Have you heard any of the full-size flagships like HD800 TH900 K812 LCD3? Their highs are soaring, bass are rumbling, with great extension and almost perfectly balance from end to end. 
The only full-size flagships I heard that *somewhat* mid-centric are T1, W3000 and W5000.

To my understanding, that is why K3003 got so many love and hate. Tuning-wise, people coming from full-sizes love it, while those coming from CIEM will be like "this is V shaped!"
And yes, coming from full-size headphones, I have to say the A12, Layla, and almost 80% of TOTL IEMs are more or less mid-centric. And IMO to a lot of music preferences out there, this is not at all a bad thing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back