Fischer Amps: FA-4 E XB - Rhapsody series (3/4/5 drivers upcoming)
Sep 17, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #316 of 2,161

Btw, pulled out my copy of XTC's Fossil Fuels, listening to the disc 2, good stuff. They are definitely the spiritual heirs of the Beatles, Kinks, and the best of British pop-rock. 

I actually love "Making Plans for Nigel", too, but I think XTC being the "spiritual heirs of the Beatles" is taking XTC's talent & creativity a little too far, Mr Carlsan.  :wink:

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #317 of 2,161
I'm not into the beatles, kinks... but i like post punk bands like pil, gang of four, the fall....or  more experimental bands such this heat, pop group, the residents ican put pil metal box here too (one of my favourite albums)... that's why I'm into xtc maybe they could be considered more new wave-post punk  but what is curious is that my favourite song by them is the more british classic or vh1 video-wonderland

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #318 of 2,161
The Kinks were ok-ish, not really my cup of tea — the Beatles were on a very different musical level (and the Who were certainly better than the Kinks). The Residents are a brilliant band. PIL had one or two good tracks...

Musically, Punk mostly sucked, but it definitely brought a much needed breath of fresh air to what was becoming an embarrassingly dreadful music scene.

Is it necessary to say "in my opinion" here?

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #319 of 2,161
Pil only one or two good tracks? i'll take metal box over nevermind the bollocks anyday and first issue by pil is fantastic too, their late stuff is worst

Agree with you with the punk scene musically normally sucks but there are exceptions like X-los angeles...anyway post punk bands played such different music than punk bands... but without that punk explosion as you said we haven't had the bands i've listed before, except the residents of course

Im not into the beatles or kinks but love the who specially early stuff, when you say on a different musical level what are you referring exactly? I think beatles-who-kinks is more which one you prefer than different levels

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #320 of 2,161

Im not into the beatles or kinks but love the who specially early stuff, when you say on a different musical level what are you referring exactly? I think beatles-who-kinks is more which one you prefer than different levels

The talent and creativity of Lennon & McCartney, when they were together (with the Beatles), is practically unparalleled to this day — this goes beyond liking/appreciating the Beatles' music or not, or preferring other bands. The Beatles, FWIW, is not my favourite band.

Here's an excellent track Mr Kurdt-bada might enjoy (a track, BTW, that sounds pretty good through the FA-4s): http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/The+Wild+The+Beautiful+And+The+Damned/1Va72r?src=5

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #321 of 2,161

The talent and creativity of Lennon & McCartney, when they were together (with the Beatles), is practically unparalleled to this day — this goes beyond liking/appreciating the Beatles' music or not, or preferring other bands. The Beatles, FWIW, is not my favourite band.

Someone can argue here, what about the rolling stones?  :)   anyway I'm more into underground music xD

thanks for the song I'll try it, i knew ultravox from an old spanish punk fanzine long time ago... but never listened to them it's a good time to do it

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #322 of 2,161
  Someone can argue here, what about the rolling stones?  :)   anyway I'm more into underground music xD

thanks for the song I'll try it, i knew ultravox from an old spanish punk fanzine long time ago... but never listened to them it's a good time to do it

The Stones have written some pretty good songs, no question about that.

"Underground" sounds pretty cool, you bet!... but a lot of underground music is utter rubbish. A LOT of mainstream music is certainly rubbish, too.

When you get rid of labels, poses and plenty of juvenile (and often not so juvenile) stuff—"I'm different, I'm special"—and you look at music—real music—, terms such underground, pop, mainstream, punk, metal, alternative, world, jazz, classical, experimental, etc. are absolutely meaningless.

Radiohead, whether you like the band or not, for instance, have created some of the very best music. And no, Radiohead is not my favourite band.

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #323 of 2,161
I hate radiohead and i can't say they are good because i don't like them can't be objective :) , pitchfork ranked ok computer as best album of the 90s and you can find more publications that did the same so i guess you are right... but i do like talk talk a band which it's said have been very inluencial on radiohead. to me slint-spiderland along with ween-pure guava, nirvana-in utero, pixies-doolitle and sonic youth-daydream nation  are the very finest moments of that time all those bands were underground at the very first time but not now :) 

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #324 of 2,161
  I hate radiohead and i can't say they are good because i don't like them can't be objective :)

Mr Kurdt-bada hasn't always got good music taste.

I hate radiohead and i can't say they are good because i don't like them can't be objective :) , pitchfork ranked ok computer as best album of the 90s and you can find more publications that did the same so i guess you are right...

Hmm... that means nothing to me. Michael Jackson & Madonna might have had similar comments made by certain publications in the 80s. I personally think M Jackson & Madonna's music is rubbish.

Well, the Guardian and specially the (Daily) Telegraph are not exactly my favourite newspapers, but here's a couple of articles:
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2009/nov/29/radiohead-interview
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/8219786/Radioheads-OK-Computer-named-best-album-of-the-past-25-years.html

... but i do like talk talk a band which it's said have been very inluencial on radiohead.

Talk Talk from "The Colour of Spring" onwards were a great band, a pretty unique band, in fact. Perhaps there is hope for Mr Kurdt-bada.

... to me slint-spiderland along with ween-pure guava, nirvana-in utero, pixies-doolitle and sonic youth-daydream nation  are the very finest moments of that time all those bands were underground at the very first time but not now :) 

Nirvanna certainly had their very good moments. I think Doolittle & Daydream Nation are pretty good albums.

... all those bands were underground at the very first time but not now :) 

The Beatles were pretty underground at one point — I don't think they are now.

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #325 of 2,161
  I hate radiohead and i can't say they are good because i don't like them can't be objective :) , pitchfork ranked ok computer as best album of the 90s and you can find more publications that did the same so i guess you are right... but i do like talk talk a band which it's said have been very inluencial on radiohead. to me slint-spiderland along with ween-pure guava, nirvana-in utero, pixies-doolitle and sonic youth-daydream nation  are the very finest moments of that time all those bands were underground at the very first time but not now :) 

I have to admit that Radiohead doesn't do it for me either. I've heard all the albums, and think they are excelllent musicians, but the music often puts me to sleep, and not intentionally. Love the single Creep though.

PIL, now that's a band to talk about, at least the 1979-80 version. I had the pleasure of seeing them live in New York during one, perhaps the first US, show. They did play in front of the audience and not behind a curtain, that was a later show.
Jame Blood Ulmer, with two drummers, and his incredible electric jazz meets Hendrix guitar opened, and as I watched them, I felt that they were going to overshadow PIL. I was wrong. Jah Wobble came walking out on to the stage just playing his dub reggae influenced bass playing, followed quickly by Martin Atkins doing an incredible job on the drums rivaling the two drummer attack from the opening act, then Keith Levine on guitar, followed by Lydon screeching his weird vocals over the musical stew. What a show, ranks up there as one of the top 5 shows I have ever seen, and trust me, I've seen hundreds of live music shows.

At one point the audience rushed the stage, and buried all but Wobble, who somehow managed to keep playing, within a minute, Levine was standing on a set of speakers playing guitar, Wobble moved on to the top of another set of speakers and Lydon just continued singing, from underneath a group of people! All this time Atkins on the drums kept the back beat punching through the chaos.  

That was a memorable year, also saw Gang of Four and the Birthday Party around the same time. Legendary live shows all. 

Sep 17, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #326 of 2,161
Wish i was there pil were really experimental at that time truly post punk innovators as this heat or throbbing gristle, thanks for share your experience there if it was in your top 5 it means something.

Metal box album can resume what we said about them and is one of the 10 finest album of the 80's and one of my favourites in my collection... pil of this is not a love song are very different of the pil we are talking about but remember is lyndon not lydon :wink:

Sep 17, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #327 of 2,161
Since Mr Kurdt-bada didn't seem to bother listening to the Ultravox track I posted earlier, these two tracks are for Mr Carlsan — they feature a member of XTC on keyboards and a female bassist who later became a member of Gang of Four (these tracks are taken from an 'official' bootleg recording):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oefng4xNJlA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MZ0vonsLuY

Sep 17, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #328 of 2,161
I've listened once music, but i'm not in home since that post and i haven't had wifi connection the whole afternoon and still haven't right now, my 3g is not fast till some days i ve spent my 1 gig connection and can't see the new links you posted

Later i'll post some early pil live stuff featuring careering or poptones too

Sep 17, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #330 of 2,161
Didn't know about Robert Fripp & The League of Gentlemen they are pretty good actually remember me in some ways to the italians confusional quartet weird new wave-the second song doesn't remind me to confusional quartet lol, there is also a movie called downtown 81 which it's main character is jean michelle basquiat and features lots NY post punk-new wave-no wave bands you can see most of them in the video linked bso is really good, time to try ultravox again

well listened to ultravox again not bad but not my style :)  i forgot to add the  pil video you can see how these dudes sounded early really crazy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back