first true Metal band?
Aug 2, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #46 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blue Cheer

Edit again: Jeez, Black Sabbath is not the originator of thrash, nor are they even close to being the originator of metal as a whole. They are the first doom metal band. They don't even play thrash.

They weren't close? Blue Cheer was a pyschadelic hard rock band with some elements that could be called metal. If you go down that road, why not mention Janice Joplin, The Who, or Cream? Sabbath was the first metal band. Sure, you get "kewl" points for mentioning Blue Cheer (or Budgie), but to deny Sabbath's role as originator is either willful ignorance (at best) or a simple case of being a hipster smartass (at worst). Cheers!

Aug 2, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #47 of 90
How can Black Sabbath originate thrash metal when they don't even PLAY thrash metal?

They are a doom metal band, always have been.

Edit: Hard rock isn't even a real genre. It's a politically-correct umbrella term for a lot of metal bands that were popular but people for some reason consider metal to be a four-letter-word.

Aug 2, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #48 of 90
Quote:

How can Black Sabbath originate thrash metal when they don't even PLAY thrash metal?

I didn't say they originated thrash - and I'm not saying they played thrash either. I was referring to your comment about originating "metal as a whole". Regarding that, they were most certainly one of the first, if not the first "true metal band" - and they were definitely originators. And, strictly speaking, I wouldn't say they were a doom band either. Doom wasn't actually a recognizable genre until years later (spearheaded by Cathedral) - and, of course, many doom bands (including Cathedral) were obviously influenced heavily by Sabbath. That doesn't make Sabbath a doom band. Did you ever hear anyone in Sabbath refer to themselves as doom?

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #49 of 90
Well, looking at their first album cover I would most certainly say they were going for a doom and gloom image. We could say they are the originators of Goth too.
wink.gif
I don't care about music labels, I just listen to what I like. There are plenty of metal bands I can't stand and a few I like because they transcend the genre. In general though I do not even like metal. I like early Black Sabbath but I can't stand the music of Ozzy Osbourne's later period. If I don't like metal but I like Black Sabbath then they are not metal as far as I am concerned. They just wrote and played some cool music.

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #50 of 90
First thrash album?

Overkill is generally overlooked in this category, no idea why.

First death metal album? Generally agreed upon to be Possessed-Seven Churches, but releases by bands like Slaughter (strappado anyone?) and death were in the mid 80's also.

Black metal is Bathory. That is the start. Other key (key being the "key" word :p) were Root, and Celtic Frost.

Aug 2, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #52 of 90
Roffle at this thread.

The most important ones are Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Maiden, and Venom. Venom is more responsible for more thrash, black, and death metal than Slayer. You can also throw Mercyful Fate and Bathory in there as well.

Master of Puppets is easily the worst of Metallica's first 4. It had a lot to do with the decline of thrash metal into CNN-metal wankery in the late 80s and the riffs aren't nearly as strong as on the preceding two albums and it lacks the utter compositional insaneness of AJFA.

Aug 2, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #54 of 90
Quote:

Edit: Hard rock isn't even a real genre. It's a politically-correct umbrella term for a lot of metal bands that were popular but people for some reason consider metal to be a four-letter-word.

Side rant...
Agree but for a different reason...It's the metal fans who created the hard rock label for bands that weren't (insert appropriate metal adjective (thrash, doom, death, goth...) here) enough to be "metal".
How greats like Led Zeppelin and ACDC get excluded is beyond be.
As far as I can tell the only thing that separates "hard rock" are singers who could actually sing and weren't into tight leather pants and skulls and such.

Resume topic, sorry.

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #55 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Surfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Side rant...
Agree but for a different reason...It's the metal fans who created the hard rock label for bands that weren't (insert appropriate metal adjective (thrash, doom, death, goth...) here) enough to be "metal".
How greats like Led Zeppelin and ACDC get excluded is beyond be.
As far as I can tell the only thing that separates "hard rock" are singers who could actually sing and weren't into tight leather pants and skulls and such.

Resume topic, sorry.

I consider "Hard Rock" and "Heavy Metal" to a lesser extent to be meaningless terms; much like "Alternative". Alternative never has and never will mean anything. It's like saying Emo. That term is so stupid and undescriptive.
frown.gif

BTW I would call Led Zep and ACDC "Classic Rock" but i'm sure many would disagree
wink.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #56 of 90
Quote:

Edit: Just noticed the thread title has almost nothing to do with the question the OP asked. *rolleyes

I can rename it. Others have commented on this as well... what should the thread title be?

Aug 2, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #57 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by evanft /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Roffle at this thread.

The most important ones are Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Maiden, and Venom. Venom is more responsible for more thrash, black, and death metal than Slayer. You can also throw Mercyful Fate and Bathory in there as well.

Master of Puppets is easily the worst of Metallica's first 4. It had a lot to do with the decline of thrash metal into CNN-metal wankery in the late 80s and the riffs aren't nearly as strong as on the preceding two albums and it lacks the utter compositional insaneness of AJFA.

Venom was not an influence for most black metal bands in the second, and now third wave. Hell, Venom was NOT black metal at all. Bands like Root Bathory recorded some of the first black metal records. Mercyful Fate was definitely proto-black metal.

Aug 2, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #58 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Venom was not an influence for most black metal bands in the second, and now third wave. Hell, Venom was NOT black metal at all. Bands like Root Bathory recorded some of the first black metal records. Mercyful Fate was definitely proto-black metal.

Let's not forget about Hellhammer. You know how Euronymous got his name?
icon10.gif

Aug 5, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #60 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can rename it. Others have commented on this as well... what should the thread title be?

No bites? Well then. Stop bitching about it then
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back