first true Metal band?
Aug 6, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #76 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonicLemming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How'd Metallica sell out? They changed their sound somewhat...so what?

St. Anger and Some Kind of Monster aren't even metal. It reminds me of a crappy version of Disturbed or something. Honestly I think all that garbage is boring at the very least, but more bordering on laughable.

Another great example was the first Iced Earth album with the new vocalist Jon Schaffer... all the songs were a bunch of squealing patriotic crap. Not metal. Not rock. Just garbage.

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #77 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
St. Anger and Some Kind of Monster aren't even metal. It reminds me of a crappy version of Disturbed or something. Honestly I think all that garbage is boring at the very least, but more bordering on laughable.

Another great example was the first Iced Earth album with the new vocalist Jon Schaffer... all the songs were a bunch of squealing patriotic crap. Not metal. Not rock. Just garbage.

Are you talking about Tim Owens? Because The Glorious Burden may not be a good album but it's undeniably as metal as their earlier works.

Aug 6, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #78 of 90
John shaffer is the rythm guitarist, not the vocalist of iced earth...good that you named this case, it is a good example of forgivable change in sound...Iced earth went from the power influenced thrash of their earlier works to more generic power metal...surely the glorious burden was bad...but at least it wasn't written with the sole purpose of getting MTv airtime like most numetal music...

Aug 6, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #79 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you talking about Tim Owens?

Probably him. I dunno I get the names mixed up :-/

Quote:

Because The Glorious Burden may not be a good album but it's undeniably as metal as their earlier works.

Ha! Yeah. Since when did Metal talk about patriotic BS and have tracks named as such? As someone said in this thread IIRC, metal is about the exact opposite of that. Plus the way he sings just bugs me and it sounds ridiculous compared to the great vocals of Matt Barlow. I don't want to even try to listen to that CD again or anything from the "Tim Owens era". Side note-- I just wiki'd it and it looks like Matt Barlow is back. Hell yeah!
biggrin.gif

I was literally disgusted when I heard some "sneak peek samples" of the first album w/Time Owens back when it came out. Just like Metallica, that was the point where I decided to never listen to Iced Earth from that CD onwards, at least going on the assumption that he'd be their new vocalist.

That being said, I love all of their pre-sellout pre-****ty singer pre-patriotic work
smily_headphones1.gif
There's just a point for some bands where they turn, and it's a downward spiral from there...

The fact that Matt Barlow is back is a really a breath of fresh air, though. Hopefully they can continue to contribute to the genre now as before!

Aug 6, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #80 of 90
Quote:

Plus the way he sings just bugs me and it sounds ridiculous compared to the great vocals of Matt Barlow.

I agree...because i think Tim vocals didn't suit Iced Earth style well...but he is indeed a good singer, pretty underrated...but has always been thrown in great bands to replace great singers....no less than Rob Halford in Judas priest...and he sucked at the old priest songs....but he has no doubt great technical abilities, he should really try to form a band on his own...

Barlow back have been the ****ing news of the year for me, but working in the police, he lost all his hair..what a loss
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #81 of 90
Have you checked out The Crucible of Man already? Barlow's vocals in it is ******* awful. I think most people who has heard it will be wanting Owens back. Owens is a far better singer than 2 tone Barlow. Barlow's vocals fit the earlier Iced Earth stuff, but how one-dimensional and limited he is should be obvious.

As Sduibek said, the present Iced Earth is more generic power metal. When is Power Metal not considered to be metal? Lyrics isn't all that determines the genre.

Aug 7, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #82 of 90
Quote:

Ha! Yeah. Since when did Metal talk about patriotic BS and have tracks named as such?

Since when has the validity of a piece of music as metal been based solely on lyrical content and song titles?

Considering the non-linear and mostly unpredictable lyrical trends among metal bands of various styles (not to mention the sizable amount of instrumental metal bands), I'd say it's actually one of the worst criteria you could choose.

Aug 7, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #83 of 90
Quote:

Right, you know exactly how Hetfield, Hammett and Co feel because you're a psychic?

Metallica didn't just change their sound 'a bit'. They have completely abandoned their roots and crossed over to a different genre. Almost all bands become increasingly accessible over the years, but the ones which disgust me are bands like Metallica, Cryptopsy and In Flames who pretty much point their middle finger on the fans who had supported them over the years and create music which they are just not capable of producing.

Well, I could pose the same question to you - how do you know what they did, or didn't, use as reasoning to change the sound of their albums? Have you ever seen any interviews with Hetfield? He seems like a pretty cool guy. Ulrich, on the other hand, is a ******. Let me rephrase that - a ****** used many times without ever being cleaned by the entire female population of "naturalist feminists".

Yes, St. Anger absolutely blows. The first time I listened to it, I actually ejected the disc to make sure it was Metallica. However, stuff like the Black Album and Reload, while they're not hardcore metal or whatever you want to call it, is still good. You seem to be implying that just because they're not playing the exact same stuff they did when they started making music, with some slight adjustments throw in due to the longevity of the band, they suck. I don't see how they switched to a different genre, either, simply because metal, as a genre, spans everything from Cannibal Corpse to Nightwish to Turisas.

I just don't agree with that. I don't think they're saying "***** you" to the fans, either. But, that's my opinion, and if other people don't think the same thing, *shrug* That's the point of opinions.

Aug 9, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #85 of 90
I really like "...And Justice For All" (the song) by Metallica and The Prisoner by Iron Maiden, 1982.

I'll LYK what others I like... building a playlist on Slacker.com to get a good listen to all of these bands
biggrin.gif

-----------------------
EDIT:
-----------------------

Interesting... Deliver Us To Evil by Exodus reminds me a bit of older Metallica. Caught... In A Dream by Napalm Death - woah! When I think of '80's Metal' I think of hair metal and stuff.. well maybe except for Metallica, Megadeth, etc. I didn't realize stuff this hardcore went back that far. I hunger for more...
evil_smiley.gif

I like .44 Caliber Brain Surgery by Demolition Hammer a lot!

Actually i'm basically liking everything i'm hearing. This stuff is badass. Currently I have a playlist of the 30 bands I listed above, and i'm enjoying myself quite a bit
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #86 of 90
Quote:

No suggestions for the Thread title? Man... people complain and then don't respond to requests for constructive criticism... What has our world come to?!?!

Aug 10, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #88 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Demolition hammer are amazing \m/ for more brutal thrash try Slaughter (Can) and Morbid Saint

Indeed! I believe I thoroughly enjoy every song from "Gelid Remains"... that is definitely a CD I will buy. Reign In Blood (Slayer) is pretty sweet, too.

I'll add those bands to my Slacker list. Thanks man
biggrin.gif

EDIT:
Oh man, Dissident Aggressor is a sweet track.

Caesar's Palace
by
Morbid Angel
from Domination
released 1995

Exodus
by
Exodus
from Another Lesson in Violence
released 1997

Reign In Blood is badass! Thank you, you guys were sure right about that one
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #89 of 90
Hi again, it's been a while. Still playing all these bands on my Slacker Personal Radio
biggrin.gif

I really just wanted to hop in and say that "Soulside Journey" (the song) by Darkthrone is badass.

Okay, back to listening for me
biggrin.gif

EDIT: *****! Blind Bleeding the Blind is frickin' amazing. So is Son of Evil.

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #90 of 90
Yeah, Darkthrone's Soulside Journey is quite good album (and my fav song in it is Accumulation of Generalization). Its also their ONLY Death metal album before they changed style and created their most influental Black Metal albums the genre has seen. (and one of my fav blackmetal albums, A Blaze in the Northern Sky)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back