first true Metal band?
Jul 30, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #31 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikebananafudge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Entombed was an early classic when it comes to modern growling/grunting. Also, Napalm Death are the founding fathers of grindcore.

Before they were Entombed, they were Nihilist - and even better, actually.

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #32 of 90
Anyone remember Nasty Savage? Were they one of the first thrash/death metal bands?

Jul 30, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #33 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonicLemming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Metal is supposed to be about eating babies and ******** goats and pissing blood, dammit (ok, little excessive hyperbole there, but you get the point)

GWAR - ******** An Animal (last track and the first couple too)
biggrin.gif

Regarding MySpace bands, I also like this band on MySpace... I saw them live and they ******** kicked ass! I like the three top songs on this playlist -- newest stuff from their recent (upcoming?) album. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=15042175

@DemonicLemming & Meliboeus-- Here are some of the metal (and/or metal-influenced) bands I enjoy, listen to, and own CDs of. Some of them aren't 100% 'Metal' but they still have roots in and/or songs that are metal. Please let me know if any of these are the stuff you hate so I can get an idea of what you're actually talking about:

Symphony X
My Dying Bride
Lamb of God
Tool
Strapping Young Lad
Dream Theater
Deftones
Rage Against The Machine
Slipknot
Opeth
System Of A Down
Metallica
Nine Inch Nails

...and BTW, "Waking The Cadaver - Chased Through The Woods" is a terrible song. Vocals are ridiculous. However, I did like a lot of parts of that song from "THE FACELESS". Some parts were boring, but they had some pretty cool riffs and guitar work in there.

However, the problem with those two bands specifically is they don't really know what kind of "metal sound" they're looking for, so they pretty much just throw a bunch of "metal riffs" and "metal vocals" together and call it good. The problem with that is they don't have the "Soul" of Metal. And like Billy Joel says, it's all about soul.

Lastly, the switching between chugchug metal riffs (now I know what you mean by ChugChug BTW
smily_headphones1.gif
) and squealing guitar work doesn't work for their mishmash style/sound referenced above, and switching between the so-called "death growl" and more moderate metal vocals is also done joltingly or poorly. Listen to some Opeth or Deftones, or Tool, and the switching of sound/style on the instruments and vocals is seamless. You never feel that you're just being tossed around in the musical stratosphere.

Jul 30, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #34 of 90
From the posts above, it sounds like I should listen to these:
* Metallica (especially the old stuff such as Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning)
* Black Sabbath
* Megadeth
* Slayer (especially Show No Mercy, Hell Awaits, and Reign in Blood)
* Cannibal Corpse
* Pantera (older stuff)
* The Stooges
* Carcass (namely Reek of Putrefaction, Symphonies of Sickness, and Necroticism)
* Exodus
* Venom (specifically Welcome to Hell and Black Metal)
* Anthrax
* Hellhammer (Apocalyptic Raids)
* Celtic Frost (Morbid Tales, To Mega Therion)
* Repulsion (Horrified)
* Possessed (Seven Churches
* Bathory (Bathory)
* Death
* Morbid Angel
* Napalm Death
* Helloween
* Entombed
* Nihilist
* Nasty Savage

Whew. Quite a list... anyone up for making a timeline?

Jul 31, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #35 of 90
its such a metamorphosis....where does hard rock end and metal begin???? Black Sabbath once thought of as the pre-eminent metal band, now has more in common with the Rolling Stones than they do with Cannibal Corpse.

The first Metal band which I feel begins what modern metal is all about has to be Metallica.

The first band to plant the seed of the metal tree was black sabbath.

And the the first band to really go hard core was probably Death

I'm no expert though

Jul 31, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #36 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
* Metallica (especially the old stuff such as Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning)
* Black Sabbath
* Megadeth
* Slayer (especially Show No Mercy, Hell Awaits, and Reign in Blood)
* Cannibal Corpse
* Pantera (older stuff)
* The Stooges
* Carcass (namely Reek of Putrefaction, Symphonies of Sickness, and Necroticism)
* Exodus
* Venom (specifically Welcome to Hell and Black Metal)
* Anthrax
* Hellhammer (Apocalyptic Raids)
* Celtic Frost (Morbid Tales, To Mega Therion)
* Repulsion (Horrified)
* Possessed (Seven Churches
* Bathory (Bathory)
* Death
* Morbid Angel
* Napalm Death
* Helloween
* Entombed
* Nihilist
* Nasty Savage

Whew. Quite a list... anyone up for making a timeline?

You can do it! I would go chronologically. Start with Sabbath, and work your way toward today. You'll learn a heck of a lot.

Jul 31, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #37 of 90
Quote:

Symphony X
My Dying Bride
Lamb of God
Tool
Strapping Young Lad
Dream Theater
Deftones
Rage Against The Machine
Slipknot
Opeth
System Of A Down
Metallica
Nine Inch Nails

I listen to all of those except My Dying Bride, DT, Deftones, some RATM (it's ok, but the whole anti-everything-but-communism gets old after a bit), and SOAD. Opeth is a band I listen to a good bit, and barring the fact that their past two albums have rather been disappointing (Blackwater Park and Deliverance are my two favorite albums from them), the mixing of clean and death-metal vocals works quite well. What's funny is how many "zomg ubAr metalheads" say that anything without the death metal vocals is "weak" or whatever, as the trend is now. I'm just honestly getting tired of just about every new metal band doing the same thing - generic "urrr chug chug" vocals, generic sound, instead of trying some new stuff. I guess the "_____-core" metal is the trend that's displaced the emofag music, and while I like metal, I can't say I like the hordes of "metalheads" who've never even heard of Exodus or been to a concert without "hardcore moshing" (the kind of spastic, flailing stuff kids do now when they go to concerts) and "XXX straight-edge" kids more than I do emofags. Hopefully they all move on to something else, like enjoying silence, as their next trend.

I have an undying, ruthless, black hatred for SOAD. I can't stand their music, I can't stand the political crape they constantly pull, and they blow gay goats live. I saw them at Ozzfest back in '06, and between Serg acting drunk, hardly singing, and constantly walking off stage, the songs being utterly incomprehensible, and the 5 minute uber-liberal political diatribe between each song, I just wanted to napalm the stage. I mean, Christ on a bouncy stick, I liked Disturbed better and typically I can't stand neo-nu-metal mainstream bullsh*t.

I've got a rather large collection of metal (from stuff that scares people, to stuff most metalheads would turn up their noses at and call gay).

Quickest way I know of listing what I have and listen to, heh.

A lot of people rag on Nightwish with Annette instead of Tarja (not sure if you follow Nightwish, but they're a great band), but I saw them live about 2 months ago and it was an absolute epic concert. Course, ignore the fact that there were only about 30 real metalheads there (people were wearing polos tucked into khakis at a Nightwish concert, What mate?), but they're still great (and Annette is pretty damned hot, too). I'm not exactly the typical metalhead, though.

Jul 31, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #38 of 90
Quote:

You haven't heard early Metallica? Aiee. Sure they're the laughing stock of the metal world now, but there's a reason they became as big as they were. These guys were my introduction to metal, and how I love them (why is it so hard to find good thrash these days?
frown.gif
).
Kill 'em All is their most frantic, but Master of Puppets is the culmination of all they ever were, and a landmark.

Jul 31, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #39 of 90
Quote:

I've got a rather large collection of metal (from stuff that scares people, to stuff most metalheads would turn up their noses at and call gay).

yes,stuff like All shall perish, Bring me the horizon, KSE, Korn,'knot, Atreyu...is not exactly wat is defined true heavy metal,not at all... just for information, since the OP asked to know what that definition means
wink.gif

Neither Beethoven falls in that definition
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #40 of 90
Quote:

A lot of people rag on Nightwish with Annette instead of Tarja (not sure if you follow Nightwish, but they're a great band), but I saw them live about 2 months ago and it was an absolute epic concert. Course, ignore the fact that there were only about 30 real metalheads there (people were wearing polos tucked into khakis at a Nightwish concert, What mate?), but they're still great (and Annette is pretty damned hot, too). I'm not exactly the typical metalhead, though.

I saw them live in October and wow, they can put on a show. Great stage performance, I really think Annette does better on stage than Tarja did. Lost some of my upper range of hearing for a few days though after that. Surprising setlist too! Who would have expected Annette to attempt "She is my sin"???

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #41 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by PWilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kill 'em All is their most frantic, but Master of Puppets is the culmination of all they ever were, and a landmark.

Agreed. Most of early Metallica's stuff is decent, but you should definitely start with Master of Puppets. An amazing, amazing album.

Also, to sduibek, your list is sorely missing early Anthrax and legends of hardcore, DRI.

Jul 31, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #42 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw them live in October and wow, they can put on a show. Great stage performance, I really think Annette does better on stage than Tarja did. Lost some of my upper range of hearing for a few days though after that. Surprising setlist too! Who would have expected Annette to attempt "She is my sin"???

She did Siren, among some other Tarja Nightwish songs (Siren is personally one of my favorites) and she did it very well. She might not be classically trained with a voice suited for the opera, but she's still damned good. I've also got a thing for dark-haired northern European chicks with Finnish/Scandanavian accents, so being 10' away from the stage while she was singing was a bit of a....pleasant experience for me.

Interesting side note, a friend of mine was actually in the top 3 for Nightwish's new singer position before they picked Annette. She was also in the top 5 for Therion's new female singer, and another European metal band I can't recall the name of right now.

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #43 of 90
The true originators: Sabbath
The first to really push the envelope and spawn countless sub-genres: Slayer
Overall macro-influence: Metallica.

Aug 1, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #44 of 90
Please do not associate Iggy Pop with metal. If anything he is one of the grandfathers of punk, but certainly not metal. I doubt he would appreciate being pigeon holed into any genre anyway.

Ever hear Budgie? I was listening to them before I had even heard the phrase heavy metal. I just listened to them because I liked them.

Budgie (band - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Formed in 1967, their original line-up consisted of Burke Shelley (b. John Burke Shelley, 10 April 1947, Tiger Bay, Cardiff, South Glamorgan, Wales) on bass guitar and vocals, Tony Bourge (b. Anthony James Bourge, 24 November 1948, Tiger Bay, Cardiff, South Glamorgan, South Wales) (guitar, vocals), and Ray Phillips (b. Raymond John Phillips, 1 March 1949, Tiger Bay, Cardiff, South Glamorgan, South Wales (drums).[1] Budgie is often considered as one of the first heavy metal bands, with fast, heavy music (an influence on NWOBHM and even such acts as Metallica) being played as early as 1973, even before bands like Judas Priest. Notable Budgie songs include "Breadfan", "Crash Course in Brain Surgery" and "Napoleon Bona-Parts 1 & 2".

Aug 1, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #45 of 90
Blue Cheer

Edit: Just noticed the thread title has almost nothing to do with the question the OP asked. *rolleyes*

Edit again: Jeez, Black Sabbath is not the originator of thrash, nor are they even close to being the originator of metal as a whole. They are the first doom metal band. They don't even play thrash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back