First trip to USA; where to spend 4th of July in California
May 7, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #16 of 49
Disneyland for the Fourth? No way. The park will be crammed and it won't be much fun.

The place to be is in Avalon on Catalina Island for the Fourth. I've lived here most of my life and that's a great place to be. Passage over is cheaper than Disney tickets and the food is better, too. There's a fireworks display over the harbor, music, people, boating, and plenty to see and do.

If not there, come on down to Manhattan or Hermosa Beach and roam the beachfront. There are plenty of smaller hotels, great food and lots of fun.

For those who hate LA, you don't know it. Some areas are bad - do you want your city judged by its worst parts? What's good here is wonderful. I'm partial to the South Bay. It doesn't show up in many tours, but life is good here.

Also, work in a trip to the Getty, old town Pasadena and downtown Los Angeles. Try to visit the Huntington Gardens and Descanso Gardens, too. Seeing the sites, going to the beach and visiting tidepools are well worth it in Palos Verdes, too. I've been to the Chinese Theater, Hollywood and the other tourist areas. They're alright, but those are not where the natives go for fun. If you would like recommendations for anything, please ask.

May 8, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #17 of 49
LA? I'd be in a bunker on the 4th of July.
rolleyes.gif

May 8, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #18 of 49
Another nice place to be is Santa Barbara. It's about 100 miles up the coast from LA. It doesn't have the quantity of stuff that San Diego has, but it's much smaller and more beautiful. If you come, let me know and my wife and I will be happy to show you around. We could probably put you up at our house too, but I have to verify that with my wife and she's and she's out of town on business and then for fun. What's funny is that she has business tomorrow in San Diego and then is meeting her cousin in Vegas to see Duran Duran.
icon10.gif

May 8, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #19 of 49
I just want to say welcome to America and I hope you have fun. If you have a chance to visit Catalina Island, go. It's really beautiful.

May 8, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #20 of 49
I also agree that LA is misjudged. Many people hate it but I think it's wonderful. The mountains, the beaches, and the great scenes that remind you of the movies that you've seen. LA is much nicer and friendlier than many of the cities in America IMO. My aunt lives there and she enjoys living in LA.

May 8, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #21 of 49
Agree with San Diego. Great town. The places mentioned above are worth going to. LA is not that beautiful although it has its spots. I have travelled from Asia to Europe and have learned to appreciate the good things each country has and to understand wherever you go there are good things and bad things. I can not take more than one 1 day in Vegas since I hate gambling. It is an unusual place. LA has Santa Monica but a lot of downtown is no big deal. I live in Redlands, which is somewhere between LA and Palm Springs. Palm Springs is interesting. Just keep on mind the heat will be tremendous!! especially around Vegas.
Welcome to America and have a great time!

May 8, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #22 of 49
Hi guys, wow, thanks for all the response and suggestions. (Nighttime in Norway when I posted my last reply).

I'll read through it all with the wife later today and start making some plans.

LA is really important for her, she's a real film buff, so we are going to spend some days there, visiting studios and so on.

Thanks again.

May 8, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #23 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make sure you stop by in-N-out burger.
Universal studios>disneyland
biggrin.gif

Agreed on both counts! There isn't anything more California than In-N-Out!

dsc1214ppyb8.jpg

If you're even mildly outdoorsy and are going to be in LA, it's worth a drive up to Griffith Park. You can park at the observatory and hike up the mountain just a bit for a close-up view of the Hollywood sign, and a 360 degree panorama of the LA area, from downtown to Long Beach, to Santa Monica, and the inland valleys. It truly puts the enormous scale of the LA metro area into perspective.

If you are more a fan of that kind of stuff, check out San Gorgonio Mountain or Mount San Jacinto. The two highest peaks in the LA area at over 11,000ft and great hikes.

May 8, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #24 of 49
Sorry for bashing LA so badly. I thought about it for a moment and realized that when I'm there, I'm usually crashing on couches in Hollywood/Silverlake and getting tanked every night, riding my bicycle recklessly during the day.

+1 on Griffith Park. Pack a lunch and spend an afternoon there. Is the observatory open yet? I've been there three times since '04 and it was closed. The only time I've been in it was 10 years ago and I was 16. Excellent view of the city from up there, though.

Take a stroll down Rodeo, as well. It's worth it just for the fashion models, guidos, and $100,000+ automobiles.

In prep for your LA experience, watch a season of Entourage.

Best quote of my last night in LA: "Oh my God, Bali?! Yeah, I go like every summer!" -6' tall, 110lb woman with surgical tape on her nose at the In-N-Out on Sunset

May 8, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another nice place to be is Santa Barbara. It's about 100 miles up the coast from LA. It doesn't have the quantity of stuff that San Diego has, but it's much smaller and more beautiful. If you come, let me know and my wife and I will be happy to show you around. We could probably put you up at our house too, but I have to verify that with my wife and she's and she's out of town on business and then for fun. What's funny is that she has business tomorrow in San Diego and then is meeting her cousin in Vegas to see Duran Duran.
icon10.gif

Hey! Thanks for the offer!

We will probably not be going north of Los Angeles this time, we will be focusing on LA->San Diego->Las Vegas, but if we change plans I think I would take you up on your offer.

May 8, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #26 of 49
I've had a good time on july 4 in both long beach and san francisco. Both put on really good fireworks shows. But really, the best place to spend the fourth is with friends who are throwing a good party.

May 9, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Hate Vegas .... Granted, I've never been off the strip, I don't gamble, and I never go to shows, so your mileage may vary.

No kidding.
smily_headphones1.gif
That's like critiquing the circus when you're allergic to animals and afraid of clowns. Vegas has Hoover Dam, Valley of Fire, Lake Mead, Mt. Charleston (in case you start missing snow), and not far away ... Death Valley, for those Into the outdoors and scenery and don't gamble or go to shows.

But I agree, the San Diego area is a very nice place to spend time. In fact, most of California is a very nice place to spend time...and New Years.

May 9, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #28 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No kidding.
smily_headphones1.gif
That's like critiquing the circus when you're allergic to animals and afraid of clowns. Vegas has Hoover Dam, Valley of Fire, Lake Mead, Mt. Charleston (in case you start missing snow), and not far away ... Death Valley, for those Into the outdoors and scenery and don't gamble or go to shows.

But I agree, the San Diego area is a very nice place to spend time. In fact, most of California is a very nice place to spend time...and New Years.

Driving through death valley on the way back to Los Angeles is feasible, right?

May 9, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #29 of 49
We are fairly decided on 4. of July in San Diego now, but I have a couple of other questions...

I have two purchases that I would like to make.

In San Diego I "need" to buy an Asus eee 900, as I will not take my job laptop with me. Can you reccomend a good computer retailer?

And, because of the brutal pricing of Grados I might buy a RS-1 in Los Angeles. Any advice?

Thank you!

May 9, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In San Diego I "need" to buy an Asus eee 900, as I will not take my job laptop with me. Can you reccomend a good computer retailer?

I was going to say Fry's - about the most well-stocked and geeky consumer electronics retailer around, and almost worth a tourist visit by itself - but I don't see the EEE PC on their site. You may be better off ordering it by mail (from, say, NewEgg) and having it shipped to where you're staying, or getting a friend in the USA to buy one for you and ship it to you.

Alternatively, this might be your chance to get a bargain price on a Mac, if that's your thing. The USA price of a MacBook Air, for example, is about 65% of the price you'd pay at Eplehuset .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back