First trip to USA; where to spend 4th of July in California
May 9, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was going to say Fry's - about the most well-stocked and geeky consumer electronics retailer around, and almost worth a tourist visit by itself - but I don't see the EEE PC on their site. You may be better off ordering it by mail (from, say, NewEgg) and having it shipped to where you're staying, or getting a friend in the USA to buy one for you and ship it to you.

Alternatively, this might be your chance to get a bargain price on a Mac, if that's your thing. The USA price of a MacBook Air, for example, is about 65% of the price you'd pay at Eplehuset .

Yeah, I was thinking about the Air, but I am really looking for a dirt cheap portable that I can take anywhere... but I have seen that the new Eee is being launched in the US around May 12th, so maybe it will show up at Fry's later. Thanks.

May 9, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #32 of 49
Fireworks displays are pretty weak in LA.

But I prefer to spend a quiet night in watching the sparse fireworks go off over the ocean along the coast.

Definitely spend some time on the different beaches along the coast. Venice Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, and Torrance Beach (Redondo) are my favorites.

-Ed

May 9, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No kidding.
smily_headphones1.gif
That's like critiquing the circus when you're allergic to animals and afraid of clowns. Vegas has Hoover Dam, Valley of Fire, Lake Mead, Mt. Charleston (in case you start missing snow), and not far away ... Death Valley, for those Into the outdoors and scenery and don't gamble or go to shows.

But I agree, the San Diego area is a very nice place to spend time. In fact, most of California is a very nice place to spend time...and New Years.

Vegas is a huge Meh for me because I've been there done that several times for all that Vegas and its surroundings have to offer. It really doesn't help that entirely too many trade shows are held in Vegas. Ugh.
Good thing there are some awesome restaurants in Vegas. That's the only thing I look forward to in Vegas.

-Ed

May 9, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #34 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vegas is a huge Meh for me because I've been there done that several times for all that Vegas and its surroundings have to offer. It really doesn't help that entirely too many trade shows are held in Vegas. Ugh.
Good thing there are some awesome restaurants in Vegas. That's the only thing I look forward to in Vegas.

-Ed

But, as a norwegian guy and gal, first time in Vegas, it's got to be a bit out of this world.

May 9, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #36 of 49
I just got a US road map, and I wish we were spending more than 16 days in south California... so many places to drive!

It actually has a large are marked with "Asbestos Hazard Area"... fascinating!
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRobbStory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In prep for your LA experience, watch a season of Entourage.

No, to prep for your LA experience, Netflix Blade Runner.
I suggest you stay in SD, maybe go as far north as Leggoland near Carlsbad. Further north you run the risk of being caught up illegal alien check points along I-5 near Camp Pendleton, can ruin your day if you can't find your passport. Another cool place to hang out is La Jolla, check out the beaches but watch out for the seals and their poop and don't get to close to them, it's against US law to harass a marine mammal.

SD has a world class zoo and Balboa Park is a great place for a picnic. I cannot recommend the sushi, but I highly recommend the "local" cuisine, you're only 10 miles from the Mexican border. Maybe even check out the bull fights in Tijuana.

May 9, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In San Diego I "need" to buy an Asus eee 900, as I will not take my job laptop with me. Can you reccomend a good computer retailer?

And, because of the brutal pricing of Grados I might buy a RS-1 in Los Angeles. Any advice?

Few recommendations from a guy who's lived in San Diego for 13 years:

1) Eat In-N-Out - can't say that enough.

Get both of these for the whole experience:
a) "Double-double, grilled onions, animal style. Well done fries"
b) "Double-double, grilled onions". Regular fries"

2) Eat fish tacos - it's our national, er, city food. I personally like Fins better than Rubios, and Fin's shrimp tacos are way better.

3) Addressing your 4th: spend the whole day at either
a) La Jolla Cove
b) Downtown / Embarcadero

If you're staying at a hotel downtown, then it's a no brainer. Visit the aircraft carrier, eat on the patio at the Fish Market. Watch as they shoot fireworks from barges in the bay.

4) Order your headphones from a reputable source like Music Direct and have them ship it to a UPS Store somewhere near your hotel.

5) Eat at Extraordinary Desserts. Awesome decadence.

6) Balboa Park is where both the Zoo and the Museums are located, just north of downtown. Both activities are at least one day trips.

7) Visit Point Loma
a) Stop at Point Loma Seafoods for an early lunch, before the crowds arrive and the madness starts. Get the scallop sandwich, some smoked fish, some chowder, a draft Sierra Nevada (from California) beer, and you're loving life.
b) Visit the Cabrillio National Monument at the tip of Point Loma. Wonderful viewing spot.
c) Then drive down the hill to see the tidepools and the lighthouse.

8) See a San Diego Padres professional baseball game. We suck this year, but hey, it's a new stadium right downtown, and it's cool to visit especially since you're from out of country.

9) Almost forgot about your PC request: Along with Frys, check out "PC Club". They're a chain of computer stores that are more geared toward the geek set, rather than a wide swath Best Buy or Circuit City.

Enjoy your trip!

May 9, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #40 of 49
Quote:

The zoo is one of our main attractions in SD, but, trying to be a treehugging vegetarian, I need to stay away from the bullfights.

But sometimes the bull wins.

May 9, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #41 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Few recommendations from a guy who's lived in San Diego for 13 years:

1) Eat In-N-Out - can't say that enough.

Get both of these for the whole experience:
a) "Double-double, grilled onions, animal style. Well done fries"
b) "Double-double, grilled onions". Regular fries"
2) Eat fish tacos - it's our national, er, city food. I personally like Fins better than Rubios, and Fin's shrimp tacos are way better.
Visit the aircraft carrier, eat on the patio at the Fish Market.
Get the scallop sandwich, some smoked fish, some chowder

Dude you're making me hungry, but Sinsen is a "treehugging vegetarian."

May 9, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #42 of 49
That's def my bad. As a ravenous carnivore, I guess I just blinded myself to that information!

Missing In-n-Out makes me sad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude you're making me hungary, but Sinsen is a "treehugging vegetarian."

May 10, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #43 of 49
Quote:

The zoo is one of our main attractions in SD, but, trying to be a treehugging vegetarian, I need to stay away from the bullfights.

There are plenty of vegan restaurants in California.

Trees to hug? Not so much.

-Ed

May 10, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #44 of 49
Sinsen, the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Wild Animal Park are two different places. I've been to both, and while the zoo is nice, the Wild Animal Park is spectacular. Here's the link:

Welcome to the Wild Animal Park!

They recreate an African savannah and let the animals roam over a huge area - it's just like seeing them in the wild. A tram circles the park and it is absolutely fascinating.

As for Vegas, it's fun now and then. If you haven't been, there's plenty to see. Be sure to read up on the restaurants - there are many excellent ones. The Liberace Museum is a kick, too.

Forgot to mention a favorite in Los Angeles, as well. If you end up in Beverly Hills, have brunch at the Polo Lounge in the Beverly Hills Hotel. It's an old Hollywood hangout with top-notch food and service. You might even catch a celeb or two eating there. If you go, be sure to wander the hotel to see the ballrooms, bungalows (some with a rich history) and grounds.

May 10, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #45 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's def my bad. As a ravenous carnivore, I guess I just blinded myself to that information!

Missing In-n-Out makes me sad.

But the wife loves her meat, so she's happy
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back