First timer.. needing help with suggestions
Apr 13, 2011 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

choboguy

New Head-Fier
Herro headfi, newcomer here! I'm looking for my first pair of high-end studio headphones to use for a little bit of everything (gaming, music, movies). Gaming is my first priority, but I play RPG oriented games so I don't need extreme pinpoint accuracy. Instead, I'm looking for something that is very immersive. I listen to a lot of trance, so I'm looking for headphones that are bass-oriented, but I don't need to go crazy with it. The aesthetics also matter a lot to me, so hopefully with a budget of $200 could get me something that looks sweet (but also sounds even sweeter). I don't know much about amps or anything of that sort, but if there's any accessories that would greatly improve the sound quality, then I have absolutely no problem with spending a little extra for that. Oh yeah, I forgot to note that I'm also buying a zalman clip-on mic for gaming. Currently, I have my eye on the Beyerdynamic dt990 pro, dt880 premium, and the Ultrasone HFI-780 pro. I'm not sure which of these three I should pick from that will best suit my needs, but I'm sure there are probably better options out there for my budget. Thanks headfi
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 7
Those look beautiful.. but I don't exactly have the money ready at this moment and I'm pretty sure some other lucky buyer would have snagged them up by then. It looks like the MSRP for them seems to be out of my budget too. I'm still welcome to other suggestions though!

Apr 13, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 7
You'll want to stay away from the Beyers unless you've got a pretty solid amp to drive them.  The Ultrasones are great all-rounders, though, and I enjoy them for music, gaming and movies.  In that price range, I think you'd be hard pressed to beat them.

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
You'll want to stay away from the Beyers unless you've got a pretty solid amp to drive them.  The Ultrasones are great all-rounders, though, and I enjoy them for music, gaming and movies.  In that price range, I think you'd be hard pressed to beat them.

Unless he buy the 32 ohm versions which work fine unamped. 

Apr 14, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #6 of 7
Shouldn't get the Zalman. It leaves a dent if you clip it on your headphones cable. It doesnt pick up my voice right and i just didnt like it overall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back