First System
May 22, 2011 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Eves

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone.

I am planning on buying my first system. I have had my Sennheiser HD580 for about 5 years now and I'm planning to upgrade to a totally new system.

I was thinking about going for something like this:

- Sennheiser HD800
- Apex Peak

Now, I'm not sure how to get the best posible source. My soundcard in my PC is an onboard old one.
Possible for me would be to connect my iPod Touch, wondering is this has any flows though.

I guess I will need a good source input and a DAC. There are so many systems available I'm kinda lost what to get.

Oh, and my budget goes around 2000-3500$.

By the way, are there any people here from the Benelux?
Just wondering if it's possible in this area to listen to some setups before I know I will be satisfied.

Thanks.

Edit:

I have read some good reviews about the Isabellina HPA, are there any pro's or con's using a 2 in 1 system?

May 23, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 6
If you're set on the HD-800, give some thought to picking up an Eddie Current Zana Deux. I've been running that setup for about two years and couldn't be happier with the synergy. I haven't heard the Apex Peak, but the Zana is something of a classic - you won't be disappointed with it. I'd pick up the two and worry about the source later.

May 23, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #3 of 6

Quote:

By the way, are there any people here from the Benelux?
Just wondering if it's possible in this area to listen to some setups before I know I will be satisfied.

Thanks.

Which country? I think there are some possibilities in Holland, not much, but some

Welcome to head-fi!

May 27, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the replies Uncle Erik & Proglover,
I actually found a place near my home which sells some headphones; I'll CP.

Sennheiser HD800
Grado P1000
Beyer Tesla
Koss
Stax (I've seen Stax uses some sort of brand-amplifier with all their earphones. So this is basicly required to use the earphones or?)

Some amps like: Lehman, Musical Fidel, project HEED. (Not really sure if I will be interested in those, can always try. Too bad there isn't anyone selling the Isabellina HPA , which I am really interested in to try.
There was one shop in the north of Netherlands, but since I live in Belgium, near the Dutch & German border I'm not that really into driving 8 hours to get to North Netherlands.

Greetings.

May 28, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 6
Give them a listen. Don't buy before you try - that's a lot of money to invest before you know what you're getting. Take it easy. A four figure investment should be carefully considered.

May 28, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 6
Yes, totally agree.
I will go there in 1 week and if I find something I enjoy I will reconsider it over another week and return.

I'm trying to figure out now how to get the best possible source, budget friendly and put together myself.
Might get a iMac or Mac Mini on the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back