First Set of Mid-/Hi-Fi Headphones
Apr 13, 2013 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Synn

New Head-Fier
I'm in the market for my first pair of mid-/hi-fi headphones.
After reading quite a few reviews and threads, I'd love to get some feedback from the community on what set of cans might best suit my needs.

Price Maximum:
  1. ~$300-400$

Environment:
  1. Indoors / Home

Usage:
  1. [80%] Music:  EDM (Drum & Bass, Dubstep, Chillstep, Trance), Rock, Alt-Rock, Punk Rock, Metal
  1. [15%] Gaming
  2. [05%] Movies

Devices:
  1. Home Theater Receiver:  Marantz SR4400

Necessities:
  1. Impactfully Bassy
  2. Non-Harsh/Mild Highs
  3. Comfort (5+ Hour Sessions)

I haven't gotten the chance to demo many high-quality, properly-driven headphones to know the full range of what my personal tastes are, nor am I too familiar with the proper set of audio terminology yet, but I I generally enjoy a bassy (I wouldn't say I'm a full-fledged basshead, but I need a noticeably punchy bass), warm, "fun" sound with overall lack of sibilance. I would prefer the overall sound to be non-fatiguing, as they'll likely be used for extended periods of time and everyday use, as well as the headphones themselves to be comfortable for a small- to mid-sized head.

So far I've leaned towards:
  1. Audio-Technica ATH-A900X
  2. Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO (80/250)
  3. Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO (250)
  4. HiFiMAN HE-400 (with velour pads)
  5. I've also considered the Denon AHD2000, but am not comfortable with the current prices and conditions of the sets that I've found.

Any advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 9
The HE-400's are a solid choice. They have really nice, impactful bass yet don't skimp on a nice mid and upper range.

Just noticed one of your criteria is comfort. While I don't have an issue with heavy headphones, some people do, and it's worth mentioning the HE-400's are a pretty heavy headphone.

The DT770 Pros are also a really nice headphone. There's plenty of bass impact, though it's somewhat loose. The real strengths of the headphone though are their smooth treble and mids, and top-tier comfort.

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 9
I really don't know much about the Marantz receiver that you have. Part of the choice will come down to how will the Marantz headphone stage works. 

As has already been mentioned the he400 is a solid choice and is within your budget. Also consider the Maddogs by Mr. Speakers. It's not an opposite choice but certainly a very different one. 

He400: great bass with visceral impact and textured, instrument separation and sound stage is top notch. BUT...not the best mids and doesn't do a great job with vocals especially female vocalist. This is an open headphone and almost like mini speakers...NO isoation. Somewhat heavy and only moderately comfortable. 

Maddogs: great mids and an impressive headphone across the spectrum. The bass is more linear than the he400. Not as much bass impact as the he400. Vocals are done wonderfully. Same weight as the he400 but much more comfortable. This is a closed  hp and isolated really well. 

Good luck and welcome to headfi!!

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the responses!

As I suspected, the HE-400 seems to be living up to most of the reviews and recommendations I've found so far. But, I'd have to say I am a bit leery of the open-back design; in my current settings they wouldn't pose a problem in terms of noise leakage, but I suppose I would like a pair of 'phones that may see some use in a work environment. Their slightly higher price-point (relative to my range) also leaves for less room to get them properly driven, which looks to be the trick to getting the best/preferred performance from them.

MattTCG- I'm very interested in the Maddogs. I was able to find your comparison/review of them (http://www.head-fi.org/t/613576/mad-dog-by-mrspeakers-modified-fostex-t50rp-review/1740#post_8855672) and they sound extremely promising. As far as closed-back cans go, could you comment on how they may stack up to the DT770 PRO, or possibly the ATH-A900X, especially for the genre's they'll be used for?

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #5 of 9
^^ Although I loved the dt770 when I had them, I soon tired of the V curve. They were too bright on the treble and although the bass presence was there it was just too loose. I have not owned the ath-900 series. 

The Maddog is one of the best hp's I've owned and just has wonderful musical sound. It also has a no questions money back 15 day gaurantee. I've recommend them many many times and never had anyone come back and say that they just didn't live up to expectations. 

The other hp that you might consider is the hd650 by Sennheiser. It's tried and true and still within your budget. It makes a great complement to the Maddog as it's an open dynamic driver hp. That's why I own one of each. 
size]

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
^^ Although I loved the dt770 when I had them, I soon tired of the V curve. They were too bright on the treble and although the bass presence was there it was just too loose. I have not owned the ath-900 series. 

The Maddog is one of the best hp's I've owned and just has wonderful musical sound. It also has a no questions money back 15 day gaurantee. I've recommend them many many times and never had anyone come back and say that they just didn't live up to expectations. 

The other hp that you might consider is the hd650 by Sennheiser. It's tried and true and still within your budget. It makes a great complement to the Maddog as it's an open dynamic driver hp. That's why I own one of each. 
size]

I've seen this claim a lot, but it's not something I can really agree with. I've heard many more headphones with brighter treble. I thought these were about on par with the AKG K601s in this regard.

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 9
First off, any Marantz has a fantastic headphone amp so you're good.

Anyway, the HD650 is the one you should be looking at. In my opinion.

Apr 13, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Anyway, the HD650 is the one you should be looking at. In my opinion.

Quote:
size]

Unfortunately, the HD650 is going to be a little outside of my price range for my first dip into the audiophile pool (unless there is place to grab a set for ~$100-$150 off the average cost of $500). They could prove a good headphone for a later purchase, should I catch a case of "upgraditis".

I think it's definitely come down to the HE-400 or the Maddog; I understand the two can't be compared directly laterally in terms of musicality, but the general similarities lead me to believe they could both fit what I'm looking for best at the moment. The Maddog's lower price point, the potential for deeper, textured bass, and their isolation may tip the scales in their favor as a great introductory headphone.

Gonna sleep on it and see what comes of an impulse-buy tomorrow! 
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 9
I owned the Dog Pads Mad Dogs and now the 650. For me I didn't feel like my amp did the Mad Dogs justice, but the 650s I feel everyone should try at some point. Their just have such an effortless, beautiful tone and the least fatiguing headphones I've owned. But I feel like the 650, Mad Dog, or HE-400 are pretty even, just different flavors. For mw the 650s won me over. PS I got a pair of refurbs off here for 330, and I see 650s around 350 on here quite frequently. They shouldn't be too hard to find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back