First real speakers
Jun 3, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #61 of 84
OR you can buy speakers that are the consumer/audiophile counterpart to the Pro speakers. JBL made a few, that's what I have. They are monitors spawned from their pro monitors. Very cool! Designed for a flat response from the lowest to it's highest volume, at least that's what it says on the manual. 45-27,000 frequency range!

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #62 of 84
pro monitors produce a different sound than consumer speakers. they are more neutral. this may or may not be what you want

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #63 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, you have to run POWER to your spkrs, now. pros don't care - but maybe home stereo guys don't like that
wink.gif
and also you would be advised to run xlr balanced cables since you now run line-level signals (low) to the 'far away' spkrs instead of higher spkr-level signals.

These are valid points, but active monitors come with power cables so as long as your speakers are less than 12 ft. apart and within 6 ft. of power it shouldn't really be an issue. At those distances running RCA to XLR cables should be fine as well since that distance is not much longer or equal to a normal interconnect length.

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #65 of 84
I'm not getting into the argument of passive VS active, I'll just speak from my own experiece.

Have not read all the posts but I just got a mint used pair of Mackie HR824's for $600 (1200 MSRP IIRC). Look at your local craigslist.

These are FLAT +/- 1.5 dB from 39-20 kHz, 8" woofers, biamped 150 for the LF and 125 for the HF. I recommend looking into it. The bass shakes my cursor when i turn them up
biggrin.gif

Now try to find an amp/passive speaker combo with those specs for that price
wink.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #66 of 84
I'm using a behringer a500 pro audio amp. less than $200, new. best bang for the buck; its very quiet and puts out almost no heat! I love it.

spkrs here are tannoy pbm-8. I think they were in the $400 range, give or take.

do look at the current tannoys; tannoy is a known good brand that many pros trust to do their mixing on.

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #67 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by orthikon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not getting into the argument of passive VS active, I'll just speak from my own experiece.

Have not read all the posts but I just got a mint used pair of Mackie HR824's for $600 (1200 MSRP IIRC). Look at your local craigslist.

These are FLAT +/- 1.5 dB from 39-20 kHz, 8" woofers, biamped 150 for the LF and 125 for the HF. I recommend looking into it. The bass shakes my cursor when i turn them up
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

Well, you pay too much for these:

MACKIE HR824 MKII HR-824 POWERED THX PRO STUDIO MONITOR

Anyway - i for that money - i will go for:

NAD 7220PE 7220 PE 2-CHANNEL RECEIVER VGC

plus:

Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 Floor Standing Speakers

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #68 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by orthikon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

biggrin.gif

wink.gif

Oh, by the way MACKIE web site sugest using those small 8" bass monitors with subwoofer:

Studio Quality Active Subwoofer Technology

"...If you're putting together a matched system, the HRS120 is designed to work in perfect harmony with our HR824, HR624 and HR626 Active Near Field Monitors..."

Did you actualy ever head a good sounding bas speaker .. LOL ! [joking]

Jun 3, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #70 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by komi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, you pay too much for these:

MACKIE HR824 MKII HR-824 POWERED THX PRO STUDIO MONITOR

Too bad that price is per speaker.
Quote:

Oh, by the way MACKIE web site sugest using those small 8" bass monitors with subwoofer:

Did you actualy ever head a good sounding bas speaker .. LOL ! [joking]

If you had ever seen (or heard for that matter) the HR824, you would probably not be calling it a small monitor. Obviously they are going to suggest the use of a sub to sell more speakers. Bassheads or people who are mixing might want to add a sub as well to round out the bottom end, but it is by no means necessary.

If you take a look at the specs of those two speakers, you would see a FR of +/- 1.5 db 37-20khz on the Mackie's compared to +/- 6 db 30-24khz for the Wharfedale's.

How much more bass do you think you are going to get from some budget Wharfedale's and a 20 WPC amp from 1986 compared to current generation Mackie studio monitors at 250 WPC?

Jun 3, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #71 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad that price is per speaker.

If you had ever seen (or heard for that matter) the HR824, you would probably not be calling it a small monitor. Obviously they are going to suggest the use of a sub to sell more speakers. Bassheads or people who are mixing might want to add a sub as well to round out the bottom end, but it is by no means necessary.

If you take a look at the specs of those two speakers, you would see a FR of +/- 1.5 db 37-20khz on the Mackie's compared to +/- 6 db 30-24khz for the Wharfedale's.

How much more bass do you think you are going to get from some budget Wharfedale's and a 20 WPC amp from 1986 compared to current generation Mackie studio monitors at 250 WPC?

Ups, My Bad, it is per speaker , You are right !

Read a bit about Diamonds: DIAMOND 9.5

MACKIE is simple not a Audiophile speaker ... You cant get bass from 8" woofer packed in small cabinet .. YOU CANT ...

By the way, i work some time in sound production studio, and i head some active studio monitors ... MONITORS ARE FOR STUDIO NOT FOR HOUSE - NOPE ...

OK, i am out for real, this thread lost the point ..

Jun 3, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #72 of 84
Quote:

MACKIE is simple not a Audiophile speaker ... You cant get bass from 8" woofer packed in small cabinet .. YOU CANT ...

Define audiophile speaker...

Have you listened to the Mackie's? What speakers do you currently have?

Jun 4, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #74 of 84
Quote:

By the way, i work some time in sound production studio, and i head some active studio monitors ... MONITORS ARE FOR STUDIO NOT FOR HOUSE - NOPE ...

hmmm, I would love to know how the speakers know whether they're sitting on a mixing desk or if they're in a similar size room at home?

maybe you make assumptions about what everyone's listening space is like?

hmmm. maybe.

Jun 4, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #75 of 84
Quote:

Ups, My Bad, it is per speaker , You are right !

Read a bit about Diamonds: DIAMOND 9.5

OK, i am out for real, this thread lost the point ..

I guess we can agree to disagree. I think for most music and most people getting in-room output near 30hz is sufficient.

I don't know what you think differentiates a monitor from a hi-fi speaker (although I would like to), but there are consumer speakers that are every bit as accurate and detailed as some monitors, and there are some monitors that definitely colour the sound more than some hi-fi speakers. To make a blanket statement that monitors are for studio use only is both inaccurate and false.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back