First real speakers
May 28, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #33 of 84
May 29, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #35 of 84
Buy Vintage. I love my JBL which were made late 80s. And well they sound better than any speaker I can afford new.

Vintage, go vintage!

May 29, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #36 of 84
NEVER buy vintage speakers - if you dont know a history of speakers ...

There are a good deals BUT ...

You never know if drivers are repaired and - what is condition of speaker driver surrounds ...

Is really hard to find original surrounds to replace - and to replace on right way ...

Speacialy JBL have problems with "Sponge" like surrounds ... they can get bad after years - and is really hard to find and replace them ...

By the way - talking about tweeters for DUY i sugest, you can also go on eBay and get exelent vintage tweeters - sometimes NOS in the box ...

Like: Vintage Realistic Super Tweeter Speaker 40-1310a (pair)

This is a Fostex drivers made for Realistic [Radio Shack - Tandy] ...

I got them, and i am more then happy ...

May 29, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #37 of 84
The one company I love buying vintage gear and I generally don't have to worry about surrounds falling apart: Polk Audio.

DAMN I love Polk vintage gear.

May 29, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #38 of 84
Quote:

Speacialy JBL have problems with "Sponge" like surrounds ... they can get bad after years - and is really hard to find and replace them ...

You can get drivers surrounds replaced. I've got a pair of speakers with foam surrounds, still fine. Shouldn't be that hard to find generic surrounds for 6" drivers.

May 31, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #39 of 84
My advise is to be patient and wait until you have enough money to buy something that sounds really good - a system that you won't need/want to replace for a really long time....even better, forever. People so often say that they can't afford to do this, that they want something now. You can't afford not to! If you by some craptastic system for 400 dollars, you will not be happy for the long term and will most definitely have the itch to upgrade soon and spend even more money. Save your money now and by a nice integrated amp. Save your money more and by a nice pair of speakers on Audiogon. Save, save, save, save.......be patient and wait for the right gear to go up on sale on Audiogon. Don't by a budget system unless you know you'll be perfectly content with it.

I once bought a pair of Wharfedales with a NAD c352 amp - man was that system mediocre! Never really enjoyed the music. Later I upgraded to a nice French amp with a pair of Spendor S5e's...I'm in audio nirvana. Wish I would have just held out and saved for the better system in the first place. I guess some people can be happy with less, but if you have discerning ears, wait it out and get the good system.

May 31, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #40 of 84
I bought in that price range a used pair of PSB T45 a week ago. I'm quite happy with them so far. There was a guy from California selling them new for 399$ on eBay. You might like to get in touch with him. There was also new Energy RC10 selling for 250-300$ on eBay. They have good references. I own a pair of Energy RC30 and I'm very satisfied. I don't think that Technics is well known for speakers. They might be good, but I'd be carefull. Good luck and enjoy !

May 31, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #41 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by komi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You never know if drivers are repaired and - what is condition of speaker driver surrounds ...

Is really hard to find original surrounds to replace - and to replace on right way ...

There are several places to order foam replacements, like here. They have foam kits for 5,000 models and there are other companies that offer foam, too. You might not be able to find foam for an oddball sized low production speaker from Europe or Japan, but you are going to find replacements for every common audiophile speaker.

Also, I don't mind repaired speakers. If the repair was done well, great! If not, you can usually tell just by looking at it or giving it a listen.

May 31, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #42 of 84
you dont need to do a background check on vintage speakers. look at the cones and see if there is visible damage. Listen to the speakers. if they sound messed up offer less for the speakers. Repair them yourself.
Try some horns. You wont regret it.
If you do go DIY check out some open baffle designs.

May 31, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #43 of 84
If I didn't buy vintage, I would not have awesome speakers right now. For half the price the OP wants to spend I got mine, which sound better than speakers costing 2 times the price he's looking to spend.

Also they are in incredible condition, almost new. So yes I disagree. Buying vintage doesn't mean have to be stupid consumer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by komi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

By the way - talking about tweeters for DUY i sugest, you can also go on eBay and get exelent vintage tweeters - sometimes NOS in the box ...

Like: Vintage Realistic Super Tweeter Speaker 40-1310a (pair)

This is a Fostex drivers made for Realistic [Radio Shack - Tandy] ...

I got them, and i am more then happy ...

Jun 1, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #45 of 84
Good luck! Are you buying a kit? I hear the hardest part is building the enclosure to make sure it all sounds good, resonance and so on... Moon Audio sells kits, is that what you are doing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back