First real speakers
May 26, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #16 of 84
Then buy a stereo integrated amplifier- don't waste your money with active speakers with a single input, or a Micro system.

I'd get one with poweramp fuction, as you may upgrade to home theatre.

May 26, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #17 of 84
you gotta up your budget a bit :p

300-400 on an integrated amp + 300-400 for speakers

then you're all set. you can prob get something good around 600 total if you go the used route. otherwise you may feel the need to upgrade in the near future if your budget is too low

May 26, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #18 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by endless402 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you gotta up your budget a bit :p

+1. You asked for suggestions for $400. You aren't going to build a reference system for that kind of money.

May 26, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #19 of 84
You are in CA, Fry's frequently have a sale on Polk, JBL and Infinity speakers. I think this week they have the Polk M20's for 100 bucks a pair or something like that. I havent heard those so no comments on those. But I got my Infinity P362's for 250 bucks for the Pair. They sound great, and you have 200$ (or 300$ if you stretch just a little bit) left for a budget stereo receiver, or integrated amp. I would definitely go this route.

If you want only bookshelfs, then you have to compromise on either the amp or the speaker. I started off with the Insignia NSB2111 speakers from Bestbuy. You can consider that with a decent integrated for 300$ odd. Else get something like PSB Alpha's or Wharfedale Diamond, or Axiom M3 and skimp on the amp for now (try something like the Sonic Impact T amp for 60 bucks)

May 26, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #20 of 84
Personally, I dislike Polk's entry level gear. Their mid to high level gear are excellent but stay away from things in Fry's from Polk.

Energy C10/100 are nice entry levels. Ascend Acoustics has some CBM-170SE in B-stock and they play nice.

May 27, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #22 of 84
Have you browsed Craigslist? These caught my eye:

ESS Performance Pro ($165). I'm not familiar with this model, but if that's a Heil AMT in there, these are a bargain.

Klipsch LaScala ($600) Holy crap that's a good price for La Scalas. I know that's over budget, but put it on a credit card, dip into savings, beg money from friends or family, leave some stuff at a pawn shop even. If you want an efficient speaker that sounds great, buy these. This is an awesome deal. If I had the room and didn't have too many speakers to begin with, I might just drive up there and get these myself.

Vandersteen Model 2 ($595) Here's another great deal. Vandersteen makes great, much loved speakers. Again, beg or borrow and stretch for these if you can.

Martin Logan ESLs ($700) I don't know what model these are, but you might be able to join Team Electrostat pretty reasonably with these. They're worth considering.

I'm sure there are more on there that I didn't turn up, but these are all good speakers. Personally, I'd drop everything, gather cash, and grab those LaScalas. That's a great price.

May 27, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #23 of 84
This is a good price for LaScala. But they are WHITE and HUGE. It really matters how much room you have but those speakers would sound amazing with a SET amp or low powered EL34 amp. Even a T-amp would sound awesome. I currently have my Heresys hooked up to my original T-amp and my Apogee Duet. IT ROCKS... i also use various other tube amps. Im partial to the sound of horns but i really havent much experience with the full range drivers...besides headphones.
also recommended above the PSB alpha is in my kitchen/ laptop soundsystem. These are a good deal on the link i added but you can find them for 2/3 the price on the 3bay.

May 27, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #24 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you browsed Craigslist? These caught my eye:

ESS Performance Pro ($165). I'm not familiar with this model, but if that's a Heil AMT in there, these are a bargain.

Klipsch LaScala ($600) Holy crap that's a good price for La Scalas. I know that's over budget, but put it on a credit card, dip into savings, beg money from friends or family, leave some stuff at a pawn shop even. If you want an efficient speaker that sounds great, buy these. This is an awesome deal. If I had the room and didn't have too many speakers to begin with, I might just drive up there and get these myself.

Vandersteen Model 2 ($595) Here's another great deal. Vandersteen makes great, much loved speakers. Again, beg or borrow and stretch for these if you can.

Martin Logan ESLs ($700) I don't know what model these are, but you might be able to join Team Electrostat pretty reasonably with these. They're worth considering.

I'm sure there are more on there that I didn't turn up, but these are all good speakers. Personally, I'd drop everything, gather cash, and grab those LaScalas. That's a great price.

The ESS does have a Heil in it.
Holy crap is right. These are good prices for very good speakers. Uncle Erik, if you can come up with these at a quick glance it's no wonder you have too many speakers. I'm glad I don't live in California or I'd spend more time at the top of my wife's s**t list than I already do.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 27, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #26 of 84
Those are worth $50 tops. Old and worn out too. They are nothing special.

Better off with something smaller and more modern plus a sub down the road. Build it piece by piece but make sure each part is a good one.

May 27, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #27 of 84
If i am You, i will go and build speakers by my self ...

You can get nice Fostex full range drivers and build a cabinet by your self, is not a rocket science ..

You dont need to build backloaded horn or something, every driver have recomanded cabinet - usualy bass refex - and there is really nice sounding boxes for that money you got ...

They will perform exelent with low power tube amplifier ...

You should go to Madisound Speaker Components | Assisting speaker builders for more than 25 years. and see what thay have and what is price range ..

May 27, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #28 of 84
If you're confident to make speaker-construction part of your ongoing DIY hobby, then I'd go for that: Fostex and other full-range drivers are 'simply' great.

But if you want to get a sense of what's good before you start building, then I affirm the recommendations of members like *Uncle_Erik* who have pointed out that many classic audiophile speakers are not only of superb quality, but they are often undersold at absurdly low prices. You must buy used speakers with caution--especially if you try to do so without an audition from a distance.

I noted that Stereophile did a re-evaluation of the Aerial 5/5B monitors in the most recent issue. They said that the Aerial two-ways are every bit as well-made and delectably musical as the famous Harbeth 7ES compacts. The Harbeths sell used for multi-thousands often, but I've seen the small Aerials go for $700-800 on Audiogon.

Here's what I think is a link to the original Stereophile review of the Aerial 5s: The Aerial was super-smooth, uncolored, and had a top-to-bottom coherence rivaling those of much more expensive loudspeakers.

May 28, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #30 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdogzthmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, I have a buddy who is a mechanical engineer who wanted to build a speaker with me so I might try to go the DIY route.

That would be a lot of fun. Beer + project with a buddy = good times!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back