First legitimate hi-fi setup?
Mar 6, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:
I still can't believe that anyone actually likes this amp.

Other than it being a cheap but capable amp with its claims backed with proper data? If you can stand behind the philosophy it delivers just that.
I've used it for a while and it worked great with the Q701's I had at the time, it also drove everything I gave it at the meet with authority including different HiFiMans.

It's not entirely practical, seriously lacks the 'oh I want it' factor the low-end Schiit's almost have, and it did behave very strange when out of battery but if I needed an amp I'd consider a proper desktop version.

Most important is the headphone though, focus your energy there first. Try to listen to something first, or grab something from the FS forum here for a tryout with minimal potential loss. Any first step will be a revelation anyway.

Mar 6, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #17 of 20
Is it safe to purchase from the FS section?
I wasn't sure as I really don't have experience purchasing on-site.
Also, would you recommend purchasing the hd600's with the Schiit combo mentioned earlier?

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #18 of 20
Yeah, I think I saw that.

but seeing as the Schiit amp/dac's both add up to be the same price and I'd rather have them separate makes me kind of want to purchase from them.

I've also heard better things about those amps as well.

Seperates is much preferred route, as you will most likely upgrade your DAC before the amp. Plus, The Magni is a better amp than the O2. The OS DAC vs Modi can be a toss up. Plus you get a nice long warranty from schiit too. Definitely recommended.

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #19 of 20

Also, would you recommend
 purchasing the hd600's with the Schiit combo mentioned earlier?
I would say either the K 702, DT880 250ohm, HE-400, or the HD-600. My personal pick for a first time pair would be the HD 600.

Schiit Magni/Modi + HD600 is a winner in my book :)

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:
Also, would you recommend purchasing the hd600's with the Schiit combo mentioned earlier?

Well, O2 combo is excepcional for the price, but the O2 combo also can work separately, it has an input for other DACs.

But well, if we look into further improvements (parts), the Schiit way is better of course as far as you can keep the amp or the dac, and upgrade the other. Between the HD600 or DT880s, I personally prefer the DT880s, but they both are great 'phones! Here in Europe the DTs are cheaper xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back