First job interview tomorrow.
Aug 16, 2010 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

moocow111

Head-Fier
After finally applying to numerous places, I got a call from Bob Evans. This is my first job interview (I'm only 17). I'm already nervous. I'm afraid I'll mess up or something. Can head-fi give me some advice on this situation?

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 24
Don't ask about salary and benefits. Don't say "Um" when asked a question that you don't have an immediate answer for.

Aug 17, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 24
Dress properly, come well prepared and try to relax.

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #7 of 24
no over the top body mods showing, dont talk too much...just answer the questions and KEEP answers short and to the point. Let the interviewer do the talking (they love that) do not interrupt the interviewer, be happy and upbeat...dont use too much cologne

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #8 of 24

Good thing ,I, have no body mods
smile_phones.gif

Also, thanks for all of the help guys. I'm sure I'll do just fine. The interview is still 3 hours away, got anything else I need to know?
Quote:
no over the top body mods showing, dont talk too much...just answer the questions and KEEP answers short and to the point. Let the interviewer do the talking (they love that) do not interrupt the interviewer, be happy and upbeat...dont use too much cologne

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #9 of 24
Slip in one "Yes, sir" and you're sure to gain points. But one and only one. Too many gets scary.

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #11 of 24
Be honest, straight and sincere. Start with something like this:

Quote:
This is my first job interview (I'm only 17). I'm already nervous. I'm afraid I'll mess up or something. Can you give me some advice on this situation?

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #12 of 24
Will do, sir.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I got the job. He said he would call me back, because he has other interviews. The only other person there for an interview, was some stupid girl, who wasn't nearly dressed as good as me.
Quote:
Slip in one "Yes, sir" and you're sure to gain points. But one and only one. Too many gets scary.

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #14 of 24

Quote:
Will do, sir.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I got the job. He said he would call me back, because he has other interviews. The only other person there for an interview, was some stupid girl, who wasn't nearly dressed as good as me.

Were her kneepads stained or tattered?

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #15 of 24
Use the STAR format (Situation Task Action Result). This is one of the things they really focused on in my undergraduate business program and that really helped me feel comfortable interviewing and landing a nice job after graduating. It just guides you to always speak in a very articulate and organized matter.

It basically involves answering questions by 1) describing a situation 2) outlining the task that was presented to you 3) explaining the actions you took to resolve that situation and 4) discussing the successful resolution of the issue. For example, if an interviewer asks you about your customer service skills, instead of answering that they are great since you have three years of experience, answer by highlighting your skills and then going over the four steps to discuss a specific example of a time where you were presented with an uspet customer and how you went about solving the problem and exceeding his expectations (to prove you have the skills instead of just saying that you do).    

Also, go in with a brand image in mind that you would like to convey. Focus on just a few skills/attributes you have that are conducive to the job and drive those points home (like a politican does with his buzz words) throughout your answers.

Sorry for writing a book here, good luck!

-Dave

Edit Looks like I was late posting this, sorry. Definitely applicable for next time though. Let us know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back