FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Jan 17, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #691 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadphoneAddict, few words about the Apogee mini DAC compare to the µDAC?

The Apogee mini-DAC is a little better - with more depth, detail, refinement and extension, and mine improved in those areas with the Sigma 11 PSU that Iron_Dreamer threw in when he sold me the Apogee. The Apogee also does 24/48 via USB while uDAC is limited to 16/48, and I can hear a difference when using my hi-def music files as well. More recent Apogee don't have USB but use Firewire instead, at 24/96. But, I paid $1,000 for the Apogee vs $100, so for the uDAC to come as close as it does is amazing. I also like my Apogee a little more than my stock PS Audio DLIII or my friend's Stello DA100 Signature.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Larry,

Been keeping up with this thread. Great job as always. I moved some things around and looking for a portable DAC only (amp is a plus, but not necessary) to use with my laptop. Going to be using a tube amp with it.

I had the D4 ready to hit the PP button, but decided to research the uDAC a bit.

To be used primarily DAC only with laptop, is the uDAC a no brainer for me vs. the D4? Also, I like the usb power vs. chargers, batteries etc...

Any help guys would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

For your purposes as a DAC only the uDAC makes a bit more sense, as they are $106 shipped vs $238 shipped. If you told me you wanted to occasionally use it with an iPod too, then the D4 is my top choice. Too bad iPods don't have a USB output.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The brunette model is an experience nude model and a photographer friend knows her so we stole an hour from a photo shoot session (hey, Nuforce is cheap, we saved the money for R&D). See more of her at ModelMayhem.com - Kayla-Jane Danger

Yes, we need more Suicide Girls to model for you. Less clothes, more Icon?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #692 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Larry,

Been keeping up with this thread. Great job as always. I moved some things around and looking for a portable DAC only (amp is a plus, but not necessary) to use with my laptop. Going to be using a tube amp with it.

I had the D4 ready to hit the PP button, but decided to research the uDAC a bit.

To be used primarily DAC only with laptop, is the uDAC a no brainer for me vs. the D4? Also, I like the usb power vs. chargers, batteries etc...

Any help guys would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

D4 can be powered by USB also. DAC comparison wise, Larry mentioned that its different sound sig, not sure amp in D4 pulls ahead of uDAC. But you don't need a amp for your headphones, I think uDAC is quite a good choice for the price.

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #693 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Apogee mini-DAC is a little better - with more depth, detail, refinement and extension, and mine improved in those areas with the Sigma 11 PSU that Iron_Dreamer threw in when he sold me the Apogee. The Apogee also does 24/48 via USB while uDAC is limited to 16/48, and I can hear a difference when using my hi-def music files as well. More recent Apogee don't have USB but use Firewire instead, at 24/96. But, I paid $1,000 for the Apogee vs $100, so for the uDAC to come as close as it does is amazing. I also like my Apogee a little more than my stock PS Audio DLIII or my friend's Stello DA100 Signature.

Thanks Larry, I like the Apogee a lot, I did few musical project with the Firewire unit and I was super happy with the sound (full studio), good hps amp too. Good to know about the Sigma 11 PSU, And yes, you're right about the price.
smile.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #694 of 1,841
Just a quick question...

I've been looking for a cheap amp/dac. I plan on connecting my amp/dac to my xbox/tv, and then my headphones to the amp/dac.

I apologize if the answer is painfully obvious, but would this be possible with the nuforce udac?

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #695 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sterny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a quick question...

I've been looking for a cheap amp/dac. I plan on connecting my amp/dac to my xbox/tv, and then my headphones to the amp/dac.

I apologize if the answer is painfully obvious, but would this be possible with the nuforce udac?

You have to use it with a computer via the USB port. Sorry. The iBasso D10 via optical input will do what you need.

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #696 of 1,841
My quick two cents. I've done a head to head with a d4 with topflight kit and the udac now on a host of cans (grado black 325, MS-1, SR-60, Yuin Pk1, denon 751, Beyer 231) using WAV via foobar and the general theme has held up across them all

for the money both are great.

but for the d4 vs. the udac when both serve as an amp/dac combo the d4 top flight, IMHO, trounces the udac. Better highs, separation, controlled lower bass, detail, instrument placement, etc. This is apparent to me even with the earbuds and the cheaper grados. This was both when the d4 was powered off of a 9v as well as off of the usb

when the udac is fed into the d4's amp section (zu pivot cable) it's closer but to my ears the d4 still has the edge (same phenomenon as above but to a lesser degree).

the udac is slightly warmer as well - perhaps a touch more organic but less revealing

so for the price the udac is great - i'm keeping it and will use it to feed an icon speaker amp as it's a noticeable upgrade to the icon's dac.

but for the extra money the d4 gives you amplification of a different class (again caveat that this is with the topflight kit) and what i would consider slightly better dac head to head for whatever reason (maybe extra cable connection)

compared to a valab for the extra $100 for just the dac functionality I think i would take the valab and i'd be very interested to hear a udac head to head with a gamma 1

regardless i love the udac for the money

also the volume control is great for using with a pure amplifier (not integrated so no volume control) in a speaker context (gainclone, classic hafler, dynaco, etc.)

as always, your mileage may vary

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #697 of 1,841
I've been thinking it would be wonderful to have an iPhone / iPod Touch app (or an app for another wifi-enabled smart phone) that sent digital music over wifi to a base station in a small battery-powered device with a DAC and a headphone amp. The Icon Mobile, with the µDAC's DAC, plus wifi. Configuration via wifi to a mini web server in the Icon Wifi, of course. Sometimes you'd want it to be a client of another wifi base station, so you could send to your computer, for example.

This would enable true audiophile sound from a smart phone.

What do you think, Jason?

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #698 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My quick two cents. I've done a head to head with a d4 with topflight kit and the udac now on a host of cans (grado black 325, MS-1, SR-60, Yuin Pk1, denon 751, Beyer 231) using WAV via foobar and the general theme has held up across them all

for the money both are great.

but for the d4 vs. the udac when both serve as an amp/dac combo the d4 top flight, IMHO, trounces the udac. Better highs, separation, controlled lower bass, detail, instrument placement, etc. This is apparent to me even with the earbuds and the cheaper grados. This was both when the d4 was powered off of a 9v as well as off of the usb

when the udac is fed into the d4's amp section (zu pivot cable) it's closer but to my ears the d4 still has the edge (same phenomenon as above but to a lesser degree).

the udac is slightly warmer as well - perhaps a touch more organic but less revealing

so for the price the udac is great - i'm keeping it and will use it to feed an icon speaker amp as it's a noticeable upgrade to the icon's dac.

but for the extra money the d4 gives you amplification of a different class (again caveat that this is with the topflight kit) and what i would consider slightly better dac head to head for whatever reason (maybe extra cable connection)

compared to a valab for the extra $100 for just the dac functionality I think i would take the valab and i'd be very interested to hear a udac head to head with a gamma 1

regardless i love the udac for the money

also the volume control is great for using with a pure amplifier (not integrated so no volume control) in a speaker context (gainclone, classic hafler, dynaco, etc.)

as always, your mileage may vary

The D4 with topkit indeed sounds good - I agree it really shines with the topkit which takes it to another level. The uDAC still performs above it's pay-grade, and we agree about the warmer/more organic sound. However, the D4 with topkit is $300 after shipping vs $106 for uDAC shipped, so as they say, "you get what you pay for."
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #699 of 1,841
Larry, I know these comparisons have been done to death, but was there ever consensus on the D10-as-DAC vs D4-as-DAC ? No kits etc - the stock units.

Tks,

estreeter

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #700 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry, I know these comparisons have been done to death, but was there ever consensus on the D10-as-DAC vs D4-as-DAC ? No kits etc - the stock units.

Tks,

estreeter

Can you ask me that in my USB DAC/amp review thread, so we don't thread jack here?

Jan 17, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #703 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill St. Clair /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been thinking it would be wonderful to have an iPhone / iPod Touch app (or an app for another wifi-enabled smart phone) that sent digital music over wifi to a base station in a small battery-powered device with a DAC and a headphone amp. The Icon Mobile, with the µDAC's DAC, plus wifi. Configuration via wifi to a mini web server in the Icon Wifi, of course. Sometimes you'd want it to be a client of another wifi base station, so you could send to your computer, for example.

This would enable true audiophile sound from a smart phone.

What do you think, Jason?

tongue_smile.gif

Seems like you're describing the next generation Icon Mobile, and our Icon Home system.

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #704 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For your purposes as a DAC only the uDAC makes a bit more sense, as they are $106 shipped vs $238 shipped. If you told me you wanted to occasionally use it with an iPod too, then the D4 is my top choice. Too bad iPods don't have a USB output.

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D4 can be powered by USB also. DAC comparison wise, Larry mentioned that its different sound sig, not sure amp in D4 pulls ahead of uDAC. But you don't need a amp for your headphones, I think uDAC is quite a good choice for the price.

Thanks very much Larry and Charlie...I believe I have all the incentive I need...
beerchug.gif

You just order from nuforce.com or do we have to PM Jason?

Thanks again guys...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back