FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Jan 16, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #676 of 1,841
So far, the udac has made the clarity better on my shure 840's. I've had the shures for like 2 hours now, so we will see how it is after burning the phones in a long while. But I would already say the udac is a necessity.

Jan 16, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #677 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by ulyses /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really interested this thing. Even half performance at pointing these words with 400 price range would be a real giant killer.

Agreed. Jason subsequently added 'for the money' to several of those early claims, but his track record with the Icon range to date is impressive - even if you have a better headphone amp than the current Icon, read some of the reviews from folk who assessed it purely as a desktop speaker amp : 'gobsmacked' is an understatement. I'm going for something a little more powerful than the Icon headphone amp to drive my speakers:

Nuforce.com | Icon AMP

This is one FOTM I'm prepared to take a chance on.

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #678 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill St. Clair /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's always on when the µDAC has power.

Hmm Okay. I have it running through a powered USB hub right now. Do you think there'd be any issues down the road?

Jan 16, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #680 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The most important question though, is who are the girls modeling all your gear?
wink.gif

Most of them are from Where Professional Models Meet Model Photographers - ModelMayhem
I just emailed the inexperience models and asked to take photo. Most of them will work for food
popcorn.gif
just for the experience and exposure.
I met this "model" (Picasa Web Albums - jasonl - JiaJia) at a cafe and just asked
icon10.gif

She has never modeled before and is happy to get some free earphones.
The brunette model is an experience nude model and a photographer friend knows her so we stole an hour from a photo shoot session (hey, Nuforce is cheap, we saved the money for R&D). See more of her at ModelMayhem.com - Kayla-Jane Danger
There are some incredible photos there. BTW, Kayla also did the Icon Mobile video for us.

Jan 16, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #681 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by bearmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@jasonl:
You wrote that the µDAC utilizes the ESS9022 because for you this was the best sounding option in your price range. Can we assume that your new Icon HDP will utilize an ESS Sabre DAC, too?

(Sorry if this got covered in another thread, couldn't find anything about the Icon HDP though.)

best regards.
bearmann

Icon HDP uses something else. We search high and low, left and right for this thing but it is just one of the secret in HDP. All the critical parts in HDP have no label so good luck guessing
smily_headphones1.gif
. The chip in HDP is very new, I think we are also the first company to use it.

Jan 16, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #682 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Icon HDP uses something else. We search high and low, left and right for this thing but it is just one of the secret in HDP. All the critical parts in HDP have no label so good luck guessing
smily_headphones1.gif

What about the amp section? How would you say it compares to your Icon amp which most have noted for being far better with speakers but not quite as adept with headphones?

I was gonna pull the trigger on the uDAC in a couple weeks but maybe I'll wait and see
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #683 of 1,841
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Looking forward to the internal shots and the wave of speculation when the HDP is released. Many Head-Fiers are obsessed with that stuff - I just want to hear the thing.

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #684 of 1,841
Quote:

I met this "model" (Picasa Web Albums - jasonl - JiaJia) at a cafe and just asked
icon10.gif

She has never modeled before and is happy to get some free earphones.

I'll bet you pick up all the girls that way
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #687 of 1,841
Hey Larry,

Been keeping up with this thread. Great job as always. I moved some things around and looking for a portable DAC only (amp is a plus, but not necessary) to use with my laptop. Going to be using a tube amp with it.

I had the D4 ready to hit the PP button, but decided to research the uDAC a bit.

To be used primarily DAC only with laptop, is the uDAC a no brainer for me vs. the D4? Also, I like the usb power vs. chargers, batteries etc...

Any help guys would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Jan 16, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #688 of 1,841
Mine just came in (crazy fast - I wasn't expecting it yet!). Very promising even out of the box - I didn't wince when switching from my DLIII. More impressions to come, probably next weekend.

Jan 16, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #690 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine just came in (crazy fast - I wasn't expecting it yet!). Very promising even out of the box - I didn't wince when switching from my DLIII. More impressions to come, probably next weekend.

Mine too - wow, that was fast! thursday night to saturday, all the way from CA. thanks Jason, I think that's a new record ordering stuff from CA.

It sounds really good so far, without doing any A/B comparisons yet. What a cool little dac - great value.
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back