FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Jan 2, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #391 of 1,841
My uDAC arrived yesterday. My SRH-840 isn't here yet so I'm going to tell you bout the Hifiman RE0 + uDAC pairing.

The two of them are giving me some pretty mean music for the money. Out of my computer's hp jack, the RE0 were really polite when it came to bass and impact. Out of the uDAC, the lows gained authority and the whole range was more dynamic and confident. With rock, the guitars scream with a satisfying grit, the cymbals sparkle plenty. The electronic songs are resolving and fun, you can feel some new subtle detail in the effects. Jazz remains polite enough, the bass is now sufficiently present.

The RE0's are relatively hard to drive IEMs at 60ohms and 100db sensitivity. The uDAC knob is at 10 o'clock and that's plenty loud so there's some juice to spare. The signal is audibly cleaner, no hiss at all.

In all, they revived my RE0's. Might have to sell the SRH-840 as there's not a whole lot of space for improvement here.

Jan 2, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #392 of 1,841
@MacedonianHero
I just pulled the trigger on the uDac to use it with my MAD Ear+HD and the RS1s while i decide wich full-fledged dac i'll get.
Have you already tried the uDac with your Ear+HD/RS1s?
Anyways, looking all the positive vibe for the uDac in the thread it seems i won't be dissapointed
wink.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #394 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am still amazed with the uDac 48 hours into it. I think I actually prefer it with my K701s when it's paired (RCA out) with my RSA Hornet (on high gain setting) to my DacMagic and MAD Ear+HD tube amp.

Very impressive and revealing DAC. Next up, my IEMs.

Looking forward to this, particularly how it pairs with the IE8 which am finding to be quite finical with what it synergies with.

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #395 of 1,841
It seems it does a good job with the RE0s as stated in the previous page. If that's true it could be my perfect work rig... for less than 200$

Jan 2, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #396 of 1,841
HONEYBOY, I'm still very happy with the synergy the uDAC has with my UE11Pro, and I'm enjoying that combo again this morning. I suspect it may also match the IE8 and control the bass well, so let us know.

Jan 2, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #397 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp_zer0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My uDAC arrived yesterday. My SRH-840 isn't here yet...

In all, they revived my RE0's. Might have to sell the SRH-840 as there's not a whole lot of space for improvement here.

I eagerly await your impressions of uDAC vs. 840 - I need (no, really) some full sized cans and was thinking of 840s, but then get start to go round about getting a uDAC or the iBasso D4. I am not really sure I will use the D4 for commuting with my UM2s out of a G2 touch, and if I did want to amp them a T3 sounds more appropriate. So it becomes a question of the amp in the D4 adding something to the 840.

Also, will the uDAC help with less than stellar reproductions? I notice on speakers my icon does help some - improving the sound over the laptops HP-out while not making all the flaws stand out on some old MP3s whose original source is lost to time or, alternatively, the likes of Pandora.

Thanks to HPA and all for the info.

Hanzo

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #398 of 1,841
every time i turn my computer on the morning this needs to unplugged and plugged back in before it starts working. using windows 7, it installed the drivers when i first used it. was just hoping maybe somebody could help me out. also emailed support, but not sure when im going to hear back. thanks.

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #399 of 1,841
just out of curiosity..for those who have the udac any of you running them under ubuntu? im pretty positive it will work but just wondering

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #400 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@MacedonianHero
I just pulled the trigger on the uDac to use it with my MAD Ear+HD and the RS1s while i decide wich full-fledged dac i'll get.
Have you already tried the uDac with your Ear+HD/RS1s?
Anyways, looking all the positive vibe for the uDac in the thread it seems i won't be dissapointed
wink.gif

I actually did swap out my Cambridge Audio DacMagic with the uDac this afternoon and it is quite good. Not as revealing though, I still prefer my DacMagic, but honestly the uDAC still holds its own and is pretty good (especially at 1/4 or 1/5 the price). You will not be disappointed.

The other advantage with it is if you use IEMs at your PC, I find the MAD Ear+HD too powerful, so you can simply plug them into the uDAC instead. Pretty flexible. I only wish that the coax was an input so that I can play CDs through it.

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #401 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HONEYBOY, I'm still very happy with the synergy the uDAC has with my UE11Pro, and I'm enjoying that combo again this morning. I suspect it may also match the IE8 and control the bass well, so let us know.

I am listening to my IE8s and the uDAC right now and this little unit doesn't stop to impress. The bass is fantastic and very well controlled. I think I still slightly prefer my RSA Hornet (slightly better airiness and soundstage), but the uDAC does very well and does not surrender. It really makes the IE8s sing. The bass is just as strong and very well controlled and the highs are in now way rolled off with this little unit.

So far, great synergy....you are correct Larry.

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #402 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
every time i turn my computer on the morning this needs to unplugged and plugged back in before it starts working. using windows 7, it installed the drivers when i first used it. was just hoping maybe somebody could help me out. also emailed support, but not sure when im going to hear back. thanks.

I had this problem where every time my screensaver came up, sound would stop going through the uDAC (even though it was clearly on), and I fixed it by disabling the "USB selective suspend setting" under power options. Maybe this is the issue? If not, then completely disregard my post.

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #403 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking forward to this, particularly how it pairs with the IE8 which am finding to be quite finical with what it synergies with.

It's kind of funny how "sick" Head-Fi has made me, but basically I am on vacation from school right now so I only brought home my laptop and IE8's, and quite frankly I was soooo pissed off with the headphone out on my laptop that I ordered the uDAC right away! But anyway, I've been exclusively using the IE8 with the uDAC and it sounds great (much better than just the Fuze, but I expected that). Can't wait to get back to school and try the uDAC in my main rig.

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #404 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by ksu06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had this problem where every time my screensaver came up, sound would stop going through the uDAC (even though it was clearly on), and I fixed it by disabling the "USB selective suspend setting" under power options. Maybe this is the issue? If not, then completely disregard my post.

thx, ill try this. maybe its forgetting to re-enable it or something

anyways.. liking this thing so far though when it's enabled. i wouldn't call myself an audiophile, but from my first impressions it does seem like the bass is livelier on my 555's. not sure if its much more clear or not, but then again the only time i can really tell the difference between lossless and 320 seems to be when there are many instruments playing at once.

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #405 of 1,841
Thanks a lot guys. I know from HeadphoneAddict's previous reviews that the icon mobile matched quite well with the IE8 though still a notch below an "OP amp Rolled D10."I was presuming the uDAC would be a good match as well so its great to see the initial reports indicate so. I'll order both uDAC and D4 and report my findings. Thanks again!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back