FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Dec 28, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #301 of 1,841
It would be a very good choice for a first amp. It comes with a standard USB cable.

Dec 28, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #302 of 1,841
anyone try this dac with macbook ? I try to find the good dac using optical input with good p/p but none of them can compare with udac ,sadly I dont want to use usb bc my mac only has 2 usb ports
frown.gif

Dec 28, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #303 of 1,841
Dec 28, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #304 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by leothan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone try this dac with macbook ? I try to find the good dac using optical input with good p/p but none of them can compare with udac ,sadly I dont want to use usb bc my mac only has 2 usb ports
frown.gif

Just get a USB hub for, maybe $10.....

Dec 28, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #305 of 1,841
Quote:

anyone try this dac with macbook ? I try to find the good dac using optical input with good p/p but none of them can compare with udac, sadly I dont want to use usb bc my mac only has 2 usb ports
frown.gif

Either get a USB hub (I use a portable hub that plugs into my two USB ports and gives me enough power for the 4-port hub), or an optical DAC like iBasso D10, or Firewire DAC like Apogee Duet.

The uDAC will come very close to the performance of the D10 or Duet, so I'm not sure it is worth spending 3-5x more money for those unless you need the extra features of the others (features like D10 also does USB and coax input in addition to optical & runs off battery for an iPod, and Duet includes an analog to digital converter for recording vinyl albums, microphones, or guitars into your computer but it doesn't run off battery for iPod).

Dec 28, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #306 of 1,841
I just got it. Its great!

I have a minor issue though. Sometimes, at random times squeaks and other funny noises comes out from it, instead of the music. But after unplugging it and plugging it back, or turning it off then on, it will work right again. Maybe it's just my computer. I'm using an iMac with it.

Any ways or prevent this problem?

Dec 28, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #307 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by charpi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got it. Its great!

I have a minor issue though. Sometimes, at random times squeaks and other funny noises comes out from it, instead of the music. But after unplugging it and plugging it back, or turning it off then on, it will work right again. Maybe it's just my computer. I'm using an iMac with it.

Any ways or prevent this problem?

Are you getting static shocks from dry winter weather and your carpet? I had a different DAC/amp that went nuts and was clicking and squealing when it got zapped. My uDAC doesn't do that though.

Dec 28, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #309 of 1,841
Quote:

if using the usb hub ,will the signal lose any quality ?

I use the usb hub for everything else (mouse, keyboard, hard drive, etc.) and leave a dedicated usb for the dac because my usb hub is not powered so I assume it would not provide enough power to the DAC.

Dec 28, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #310 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you getting static shocks from dry winter weather and your carpet? I had a different DAC/amp that went nuts and was clicking and squealing when it got zapped. My uDAC doesn't do that though.

Nope, where I live, we have no winter
wink.gif

But yes, I guess its the shocks which give out the weird noises.

So what can I do about it?

Dec 28, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #311 of 1,841
charpi, may I ask where you live? I live in the Philippines for example where there is no ground in the plugs(2 instead of 3 prong plugs) and I have a feeling it is also a big cause for noise from my laptop usb. In my case, I plug my laptop in a socket different from where my amp and dacs are plugged into and the noise is gone.

Dec 28, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #312 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
charpi, may I ask where you live? I live in the Philippines for example where there is no ground in the plugs(2 instead of 3 prong plugs) and I have a feeling it is also a big cause for noise from my laptop usb. In my case, I plug my laptop in a socket different from where my amp and dacs are plugged into and the noise is gone.

Haha, I live in Singapore. I'm not sure if my problem is the same as your problem though. It's not just noise and music playing together, it's just the noise without the music. Not it's getting irritating because I can't seem to cure it by plugging it out then back in again.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Dec 28, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #314 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by charpi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, I live in Singapore. I'm not sure if my problem is the same as your problem though. It's not just noise and music playing together, it's just the noise without the music. Not it's getting irritating because I can't seem to cure it by plugging it out then back in again.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Yes I'm talking about noise without the music. It sort of sounds like the interference you get when you get a text message on your cellphone and its beside an audio device only the garble is random sounding.

Dec 28, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #315 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I'm talking about noise without the music. It sort of sounds like the interference you get when you get a text message on your cellphone and its beside an audio device only the garble is random sounding.

Hmmm, ok I've just isolated my mobile phone and turned it off. I doubt I can do anything to my desktop plug because it is mounted to my wall. I've tested it on another desktop I have and the problem is still there. How could I solve this? Funny, my first hour there wasn't such a problem, then there was a minor one, then now I can't even solve it.

Thanks for your help! I also got this feeling that its the computer's fault. Hopefully...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back