FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce NE-700X earphones / IEM (non-mic version) - post your thoughts here
Feb 6, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #137 of 235
I have heard that the 700Xs are a bit large and that they might not fit someone with small ears, but could anyone post a picture or the 700Xs next to the NE-7Ms? The NE-7Ms with foams fit me without any problem, but I saw on the official NuForce site that the 700Xs are about 3g heavier than the NE-7Ms...Thanks in advance~

Also, I have another question about the foam earbuds (again)
Since the Awesome Mod Shure Olives fit the NE-7M, Comply T400 fit the NE-7M, and the Comply T400 fit the 700X, would the Awesome Mod Shure Olives fit the 700X? Which size Shure Olives would I get? (I assume Large)
I think I want to get the Shure Olives over the T400s because I don't have enough money to keep buying the T400s every time they get destroyed >_<;

Feb 6, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #138 of 235

Quote:
I have heard that the 700Xs are a bit large and that they might not fit someone with small ears, but could anyone post a picture or the 700Xs next to the NE-7Ms? The NE-7Ms with foams fit me without any problem, but I saw on the official NuForce site that the 700Xs are about 3g heavier than the NE-7Ms...Thanks in advance~

Also, I have another question about the foam earbuds (again)
Since the Awesome Mod Shure Olives fit the NE-7M, Comply T400 fit the NE-7M, and the Comply T400 fit the 700X, would the Awesome Mod Shure Olives fit the 700X? Which size Shure Olives would I get? (I assume Large)
I think I want to get the Shure Olives over the T400s because I don't have enough money to keep buying the T400s every time they get destroyed >_<;

Not at all with my ears...I found the UE10s way too big to fit comfortably FWIW.

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #139 of 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlau1125 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, please compare the sound between the NE700 and the Phonak. I own the Phonak (and use the grey filter) and but am interested in the NE700 as well

Usually I'd wait a week, but these things rarely come out of my ears.  They sound that good (you should know that as well.)

Now I have the "perfect bass" version and I'll tell you right now, it has nowhere near the same amount of bass as the NE700s ... which is a good thing.  I'll be honest with you guys, the NE700s just didn't do it for me.  It's too bassy while lacking any kind of "space" between the mids and highs.  You get some detail and you get some highs, but the whole picture is missing and the sound is fatiguing to say the least.  

The weight of the NE700s is also bothersome.  They get annoying after a while.

I really think a Phonak vs. NE700s comparison is unfair because to be honest ... the Phonak is a BMW and the NE700 is a Kia.

If we go by MSRP:

The Phonaks Pefect Bass (89/99) vs the NE700 (65/79) leads me to believe that extra 20 or so dollars extra is very well spent on the Phonaks.

They fit and sound great (so light you'll forget they're on).  They require a deeper fit than the NE700s, but it's not a DEEP insertion like the etys.  I use them now for 3+ hours a day.  

But if you're a basshead, maybe you should steer clear.  A better name for the Phonak's is Perfect "Amount of" Bass.

It's present, but it's not on the level of other bass centric headphones.  If you're looking for bassy headphones but less fatigue, I'd go with the Klipsch S4s (sometimes controversial, but really excellent fun headphones).  For people that want bass, good detail, and smooth highs, go with the Phonak 022/012.  I still can't believe they're under 100 bucks.

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #140 of 235
Just ordered mine today^^
Can't way to get them~

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #142 of 235
I decided to go with the 700X since I've read many reviews that say 700X>NE-7M, and I really enjoyed the 7M's
Might think about the Phonaks if I get another pair though (or recommend them to a friend and have them get it xD)

Feb 9, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #143 of 235

Quote:
A better name for the Phonak's is Perfect "Amount of" Bass.  

Which filters are you using?  When the Phonak's first hit head-fi, they were all the rage, but my impression, as the main thread developed, was that people found them to be bass light with one set of filters and lacking in detail with the others.  I also recollect that many users determined an amp was a must have to make them deliver.  I was tempted to buy a pair initially, but the great filter debate turned me away.

As to the NE 700X - I had the opportunity to audition my co-worker's pair yesterday.  The tips were larger than what I typically use, but I got a good seal with a relatively shallow depth of insertion.  (This might be a relevant factor for those of you finding them to be bass heavy?)  In any event, my initial perceptions of them were very positive, and I believe they are a clear upgrade from the NE-7m's (which I have spent considerable time listening to).  In sampling the 700X, I was using lossless rips on my iphone, and my impression was that the soundstage was a little better, the trebles a little sweeter, the bass a bit more controlled (and maybe faster?), but no more abundant than my NE-7m's.

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #144 of 235

Quote:
Quote:
A better name for the Phonak's is Perfect "Amount of" Bass.  

Which filters are you using?  When the Phonak's first hit head-fi, they were all the rage, but my impression, as the main thread developed, was that people found them to be bass light with one set of filters and lacking in detail with the others.  I also recollect that many users determined an amp was a must have to make them deliver.  I was tempted to buy a pair initially, but the great filter debate turned me away.

As to the NE 700X - I had the opportunity to audition my co-worker's pair yesterday.  The tips were larger than what I typically use, but I got a good seal with a relatively shallow depth of insertion.  (This might be a relevant factor for those of you finding them to be bass heavy?)  In any event, my initial perceptions of them were very positive, and I believe they are a clear upgrade from the NE-7m's (which I have spent considerable time listening to).  In sampling the 700X, I was using lossless rips on my iphone, and my impression was that the soundstage was a little better, the trebles a little sweeter, the bass a bit more controlled (and maybe faster?), but no more abundant than my NE-7m's.

I use the preinstalled green filters that come with the Perfect Bass version.

The ones initially discussed were the grey and black.

Feb 10, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #145 of 235
Thanks for bringing me up to speed Roker.  I was way behind the times and didn't even realize there was a "perfect bass" version as opposed to the original "perfect fit" model.  I'll have to find an opportunity to give these a listen.

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #146 of 235

Quote:
Thanks for bringing me up to speed Roker.  I was way behind the times and didn't even realize there was a "perfect bass" version as opposed to the original "perfect fit" model.  I'll have to find an opportunity to give these a listen.

If you already have them, you can buy the filters for 15 bucks directly from them.

I'll probably purchase the grey and black ones down the line just to try them out.

I'm a really big fan of Phonak.  These IEMs are fantastic.

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #147 of 235
Just took my 700X out of the mailbox^^
Will report back on SQ in a bit~

Feb 13, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #149 of 235
I've read a few posts about the NE-700 being bass monsters, but I agree with the Chris Martens review that the bass is well balanced.  I suppose the difference in opinions could be related to tips, ear canal positioning, or associated gear (source/amp), recordings, or personal preferences.  I compared these to my old Denon AH-C700 the other day and these are still clearly a step above; and in comparison to the Brainwavz M2 and M3 that I like so much, those others are missing some of the clarity and detail that the NE-700 offer.  In this price range I still think they are a great buy.

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #150 of 235
hmmm, I hate to say it, but right now I am kind of dissapointed in the 700X =/
First of all, I tried the Triple Flanged, but they started hurting my ears after an hour or so, so I had to take them out. I kind of expected this though, since I have a small head xD
I then proceeded to use the stock foam tips that were included in the 7M (which I loved and used all the time), and noticed that the 700X were harder to get a good fit in my ear. This, again, is explainable because I have a small head and the 700X are noticeably larger than the 7M.
The thing that disappointed me the most though is the lack of bass. Yes, the lack of bass on the 700X! I couldn't believe it when I first heard them, because I remember when I first used my 7M and the bass was really good. The treble was clearer than the 7M, but the bass was lacking =/
I went home and let them burn in through my iPod for around 10 hours and tried them on again, but not much change =[
Does the 700X take alot of burn in time for them to shine?? I really hope that is the case, and that I don't have a defective unit...

Also, if I want to Awesome Mod the Shure Olives to fit the 700X, which size Olives should I get? Does the size of the Olives refer to the size of the eartip, or the size of the hole (that connects to the IEM)? Thanks~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back