FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Jan 12, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #634 of 877
I just got my uDAC-2 yesterday. I've noticed that there's a sharp decrease in volume when turning the pot down past 9 o'clock so that it's not really usable beyond that point. Is that characteristic of these units?

Jan 13, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #635 of 877

Quote:
I just got my uDAC-2 yesterday. I've noticed that there's a sharp decrease in volume when turning the pot down past 9 o'clock so that it's not really usable beyond that point. Is that characteristic of these units?

Take a look at plot2 on http://www.nuforce.com/hp/support/analog-volume-graph.php
Analog volume pot behaves like log scale shown on plot2. The volume is very low between 6 and 9 o'clock (and some channel imbalance can happen for very sensitive earphones, which is normal).

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #637 of 877
Jan 14, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #639 of 877
Is there a way to differentiate between the uDAC1 and the uDAC2 without the original boxes?

They look very similar to me, and maybe I'm a bit paranoid, but I'm offered a used uDAC2 but I want to make sure if it's the real deal. Is there any cosmetic difference between the two?

Also, when connected to the computer, are the namings of the hardwares different on Windows? I might be able to test the 24/96 function, but currently I'm looking for an easier identification. Thanks.  

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #640 of 877
Hey folks, lurker turned user here with a 1st post.

I just got my uDAC2 in the mail yesterday after I saw it at CES last week, and I'm quite happy with it. I tried to burn it in for a few hours and got down to some more serious listening last night. It really lights up my RE0 buds in a way I haven't heard before - definitely smile-inducing. I also A/B'd with my SE530 buds (which miraculously came back from the dead yesterday, six months after going through the wash) and proved once and for all that to my ears the RE0s are truly more refined. I was never that impressed with the Shure's for their price. Right now I'm trying it out at work with my SR125's which finally sound almost like Grado's. I wouldn't call this a perfect match but it's doing a pretty good job...certainly worlds better than the fart-like laptop jack, which is why I bought this unit. 

I do have a question though - where do you like to set the output volume in the PC sound control panel? Noise is not an issue at all -- it's dead silent -- so I'd just like to know in terms of gain staging, how was it designed to be run? Is the D/A best run near 0dBFS, or could that drive the next analog stage into non-linearity? I think I hear a wee bit of analog clipping when setting the control panel to 100% volume, but I could be imagining things as it's impossible to level match for that kind of testing. 

I'll keep fooling around using my ears, but I'd be interested in jasonl's input. 

Thanks!

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #641 of 877

Quote:
Is there a way to differentiate between the uDAC1 and the uDAC2 without the original boxes?

They look very similar to me, and maybe I'm a bit paranoid, but I'm offered a used uDAC2 but I want to make sure if it's the real deal. Is there any cosmetic difference between the two?

Also, when connected to the computer, are the namings of the hardwares different on Windows? I might be able to test the 24/96 function, but currently I'm looking for an easier identification. Thanks.  

The hardware does identify differently in windows.  The uDac1 has a blue light, the uDac2 is white.   In addition, the uDac2 outputs spdif even when the headphone amp is on, this is not the case with the uDac. 

Quote:

I do have a question though - where do you like to set the output volume in the PC sound control panel? Noise is not an issue at all -- it's dead silent -- so I'd just like to know in terms of gain staging, how was it designed to be run? Is the D/A best run near 0dBFS, or could that drive the next analog stage into non-linearity? I think I hear a wee bit of analog clipping when setting the control panel to 100% volume, but I could be imagining things as it's impossible to level match for that kind of testing. 

If you want to get bitperfect from the original CD to the DAC on the unit, you'll have to run at full volume.  If you are hearing clipping, it is most likely your source material has it unless the amp is running out of steam for the kind of headphone you are using. 

Jan 15, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #642 of 877
RE: the 'missing 96/24 bit output on the uDAC-2:

I've had the same problem intermittently for several weeks on several Mac's and reported this apparent problem with the USB driver to the NuForce help desk over a week ago.  In the meantime, [waiting for the Help Desk to return from CES] I've exhaustively tried different ways to fix the problem including reinstalling a clean copy of both MacOSX 10.5.8 and 10.6.6 on three separate Mac's to eliminate any possibility of a corrupt USB driver but to no avail - the uDac2 refused to play 96/24 bit data.  

As I was moving the uDac2 between Mac's today, I accidentally discovered the source of the problem:  In the AudioMIDI setup utility if BOTH the Input and Output settings are 96/24 bits, then the uDAC2 is silent - however if you set the INPUT to 96/16 bits, and leave the OUTPUT set at 96/24 bits you hear MUSIC!!!

It looks to me that the USB receiver chip in the uDAC2 is not handshaking properly with the MacOSX USB driver at the 96/24bit sample rate.  This is obviously something that the NuForce folks need to investigate with Apple

scs999

Quote:

Quote:
Have you tried it on a different computer? I still suspect that it's an interface or grounding issue. Slap a quick ground loop isolator on there just to check, or try from a laptop running off battery.

I heard many ground loops. It's not a ground loop. It's a sine wave like high tone combined with noise that is generated somewhere. When I hook up my amp to my internal sound everything is crystal clear. Maybe "humming" wasn't the right word. I'm not so familiar with describing sounds in english. 

Anyhow, fact is that the uDAC-2 isn't working with my amp and loudspeakers and I can not listen to 24/96 with it at all. All I have is a 24/48 headphone DAC. Another exchange probably won't fix my problems so I'm looking for a way to get my money back now.

Jan 15, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #643 of 877

RE: the 'missing 96/24 bit output on the uDAC-2:

I've had the same problem intermittently for several weeks on several Mac's and reported this apparent problem with the USB driver to the NuForce help desk over a week ago.  In the meantime, [waiting for the Help Desk to return from CES] I've exhaustively tried different ways to fix the problem including reinstalling a clean copy of both MacOSX 10.5.8 and 10.6.6 on three separate Mac's to eliminate any possibility of a corrupt USB driver but to no avail - the uDac2 refused to play 96/24 bit data.  

As I was moving the uDac2 between Mac's today, I accidentally discovered the source of the problem:  In the AudioMIDI setup utility if BOTH the Input and Output settings are 96/24 bits, then the uDAC2 is silent - however if you set the INPUT to 96/16 bits, and leave the OUTPUT set at 96/24 bits you hear MUSIC!!!

It looks to me that the USB receiver chip in the uDAC2 is not handshaking properly with the MacOSX USB driver at the 96/24bit sample rate.  This is obviously something that the NuForce folks need to investigate with Apple

scs999

I'll try to test this out later on my Mac.

Jan 15, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #644 of 877
Quote:
The hardware does identify differently in windows.  The uDac1 has a blue light, the uDac2 is white.   In addition, the uDac2 outputs spdif even when the headphone amp is on, this is not the case with the uDac. 

Thanks bcwang 
smile.gif
. Didn't notice the blue and white light.

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #645 of 877
Finally got the upgrade kit today, had a bit of an issue getting the front/back panels to fit flush with the uDAC-2 parts installed, but got it all in there in the end.

Since I upgraded I can't do an A-B comparison between the uDAC/uDAC-2, but the uDAC-2 *certainly* doesn't sound worse. Haven't noticed any unusual noise/channel imbalance, but I'm only using AD700's, and they aren't too finicky.

If I were to give a subjective opinion, I'd say the bottom end is improved with the HO, and possibly the soundstage a little bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back