FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Dec 28, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #571 of 877

Quote:
Just to clear up confusion about the compatibility between the udac 2 and the ipad:

Ipad running OS 4.2.1 >> usb camera adapter >> powered hub >> udac 2 >> headphones works perfectly well and sounds great.

Works out perfectly for my bedroom, as the powered usb hub doubles as phone charger and i can read the news (multitasking in ios 4.2.1) while listening to cd quality music.

Thanks, I don't know if it was you or another person who posted something similar in another thread.  It's good to know.

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #572 of 877
I upgraded my uDAC to uDAC2 and have had it for a week with developing problems... 

The first problem I had was installing the uDAC2 into the enclosure. It was very fussy about sliding in and it took me a while to get it to fit in properly and then to screw the end caps on. It seems like the uDAC2 is actually a bit larger than the original uDAC that was in the enclosure. My original uDac can go in and out of the enclosure with no problems at all and its very easy to screw the caps on or off.

The next problem was that after a few days I started to get popping static sounds from my speakers when turning the volume control on or off. I am also getting static sounds when connecting or disconnecting an IEM.I hear it through the IEM and the speakers.

Last night after listening through my IEM's for an hour I found that the uDAC2 was actually hot (not just warm) and that the static sound was a lot louder too after disconnecting them.

I am using the uDAC2 with a late 2009 21.5 iMac and M-Audio AV-40 speakers.

Dec 28, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #573 of 877
You should contact Nuforce support help desk (log a ticket) and we can send you a shipping label for returning the uDAC-2 for testing/service.
There have been hundreds of upgrade board out there and this one could be defective or damaged during installation. Regardless, we will take care of it.
In the future, contacting our support help desk is the best way to get your problem fixed because I only check out the forum whenever I have free time :).

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #575 of 877

Quote:
You should contact Nuforce support help desk (log a ticket) and we can send you a shipping label for returning the uDAC-2 for testing/service.
There have been hundreds of upgrade board out there and this one could be defective or damaged during installation. Regardless, we will take care of it.
In the future, contacting our support help desk is the best way to get your problem fixed because I only check out the forum whenever I have free time :).

Thanks for the reply Jason. I've logged a ticket and have great faith in your customer service.

Dec 29, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #579 of 877
It's not listed anywhere, but I would assume that it's pretty low as usual for a solid state device. Does it matter?

Dec 29, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #580 of 877
Yes, a lot.

"Dear Sir,

The uDac-2 exhibits an output impedance of 10-Ohms and is rated to work well with headphones from 16-Ohms to 300-Ohms.

Thanks and...

Best regards,
Bob Smith
NuForce Technical Support"

Its High :frowning2:

Dec 29, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #581 of 877

Quote:
Yes, a lot.

"Dear Sir,

The uDac-2 exhibits an output impedance of 10-Ohms and is rated to work well with headphones from 16-Ohms to 300-Ohms.

Thanks and...

Best regards,
Bob Smith
NuForce Technical Support"

Its High :frowning2:

so what's the problem with that?

Dec 29, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #582 of 877

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the quick replies on this issue.  It's somewhat comforting to know the audio cosmos hasn't singled me out. 

What is the best way to contact NuForce.  Phone or Email?

Email. Please follow instructions on the support page to use help desk ticket.

Apparently you do not read through the threads.

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #583 of 877
Dec 30, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #584 of 877
FYI, someone on the forum posted about uDAC-2 and iPAD so we tested and confirmed that iOS4.2.1 allows uDAC-2 to work with iPAD.
But uDAC-2 has to be plugged into a powered USB hub.  This setup mainly allows iPAD to be integrated with home stereo system with high quality sound.

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #585 of 877
I'm really starting to lose my patience with NuForce. Today I got a replacement board. It wasn't easy to build in. The old boards were glued together on certain parts and it took a while before I finally was able to pull them apart and put in the replacement board. With the 10 screws it took me half an hour until I exchanged the board.

I hooked it up and guess what. Nothing has changed. The humming tone is still there via the RCA out and I'm not able to choose 96/24 as bitrate. The new board didn't fix any of my problems.

This is the third replacement unit I got from NuForce now. The first one I bought was broken. The second exchange unit was broken. And now the third board isn't working again.

I have to admit I'm highly dissapointed with the NuForce uDAC 2. I literally spend 120€ for nothing. The retailer had a 14 days money back option which already has expired.

I wrote several emails, opened support tickets, made phone calls, repacked the DAC and brought it to the post office and finally had to repair the device myself without any success.

I'm going to open another support ticket, let's see what they suggest this time.

With all this trouble I can not recommend the uDAC 2. As somebody else mentioned. One bad device is excusable. Three defective devices in a row are not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back