First Impressions: BeyerDynamic DT 770-250
Jul 6, 2002 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
Oh My! Those were the first words that popped out of my mouth when i plugged these bad boys into my receiver and fired up some cds. The bass is astounding! It's like having a sub built into the akg k501's. A,lthough the soundstage isn't as expansive. You get clarity, a soundstage and pumping bass. I'm listening to "A thousand Years" by Sting and that bass in the opening seconds is unbelievable! Rumbling away like a sub. These cans simply capture that octave of bass that has been eluding me with my Sony 7506's. The Sennheiser HD580's is comparison sound muddy (or plain boring with proper amplification). I'm currently listening to these cans with the cmoy amp (with crossfeed) JMT built me, the source is a pcdp (Sony D-141). While the cans don't sound as marvelous with my Yamaha Receiver they do clearly shine with the cmoy, i haven't tried them with the Altoid amp i have, but these babies seem to work quite well with a portable setup. Back to the bass, its extremely controlled and tight, plenty of definition. The top end can be described as bright, but nothing like the Sony's. Vocals are good and strings sound really sweet. I've been listening to these for about 3-4 hrs and loving every minute of it, i'm going back and forth grabbing cds from my collection to give them another spin to see what i've been missing. Very surprised by what i'm hearing!

Overall: Smooth, enjoyable and the most extended bottom end i've heard, yet!

The construction is all plastic but quite sturdy, the coiled cord is much shorter than the 7506/V6 cord, but much lighter and slightly thinner, also easier to extend without pulling down on the cans, like the 7506's. The padding on cups is excellent, very comfortable, and this is coming with someone with a rather big head and ears, my ears fit inside the cups without a hitch. The extra padding on the headband adds even more comfort, making these puppies top notch when it comes to extended listening sessions.

Preliminary conclusion: so far so good, i'm really enjoying these cans and they dont seem to need a heavy amp to drive them, thank go out to headfier's Tomcat and Lini (i believe your the only two that have discussed these cans in previous threads) for talking about these cans in such high regards. More to come...

Jul 6, 2002 at 3:06 AM Post #2 of 54
Not much I can add to what you've already said, you summed them up nicely.
Heavy rock sounds especially exciting on them, kicking basslines and detailed highs without being shrill or harsh
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2002 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 54
Welcome aboard, bud! Glad you like em! Your experience sounds about like mine, I'd describe the DT770s as slamming yet smooth. Just make sure you've got the right amp for the job, as some of them will make the bass seem disconnected, as if there's a huge wall of bass behind the rest of the band.

Quote:

It's like having a sub built into the akg k501's.

Oh dear, I have a feeling Neruda is going to crash this party soon...

Jul 6, 2002 at 3:36 AM Post #4 of 54
I knew it! Those DT770-250's actually work best on a headphone amp with just a bit more voltage output than the average consumer audio gear can deliver AND with a "zero-ohm" output impedance.

Jul 6, 2002 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 54
In direct comparison between the two the HD-600's midrange, soundstaging, and ultimate detail is much more realistic, while still maintaining a smooth, natural, musical sound.
On the other hand, the Beyer DT-770s pros huge bass can sometimes make them sound thick, and dark on some recordings. This phone is definitely a better match with a high powered, super analytical, low impedance, solid-state amp. I don't feel that the Headroom amps would even be bright enough for some people with these phones.
On a good note for the Beyer DT-770s is that for a closed phone the midrange is killer great in my opinion. Also, they are extremely comfortable, and the fact that the mid-bass punches extremely fast, and forcefull is great for rock recordings. Dynamic, and musical these phones definitely are. I know I sure like them.

Jul 6, 2002 at 5:39 AM Post #6 of 54
I have these (why? becuase I have every damn headphone EVER made!!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Main points (besides obvious ''HUGE'' bass)

Extreme isolation. About like the HD280's

Extreme comfort-the BEST! (or only second to the HD590's-open phone)

In a word:

Comfy.

(nice leather band, touch)

Jul 6, 2002 at 7:50 AM Post #7 of 54
gloco: Thanks for noticing me!
smily_headphones1.gif
But the honor of recommendation must clearly go to Tomcat, who first made the DT770Pro/250 more popular here. Personally, I'd prefer the DT250/250 as a closed phone, because it seems even comfier (less clamping force than the DT770Pro/250, but that's probably head-dependent...) - and the bass of the DT770Pro/250 is just a little too much for me!
biggrin.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jul 6, 2002 at 3:49 PM Post #9 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by Papa Lazarou
After reading this thread, and searching and reading through all the older threads - I just couldn't resist the temptation to order a pair.
biggrin.gif

Your gonna love them! All i've been doing now is going through my collection and listening to cds again, all that thunderous bass that wasn't present is now their in all its glory. These cans are truely a marvel. Just to think i was getting bored with my headphones
eek.gif

Jul 6, 2002 at 10:44 PM Post #10 of 54
The 770s are the best headphones if you like bass. They work extremely well with a good amp and some Hard Rock music. They can sound muddy if under powered. The highs are definetly not bright. If you like Rock music then this is a headphone to check out.

Jul 6, 2002 at 11:24 PM Post #11 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
The 770s are the best headphones if you like bass. They work extremely well with a good amp and some Hard Rock music. They can sound muddy if under powered. The highs are definetly not bright. If you like Rock music then this is a headphone to check out.

Believe it or not, i've found them to sound good with jazz as well, now all i need is a good classical cd to test them out with. They are great with rock and pop (so far). I'm currently listening to Radiohead's "amnesiac" cd, sounds better than ever. The highs are not painfully bright, but the top end is well represented.

Jul 7, 2002 at 3:36 PM Post #12 of 54
gloco,

It's great that you like the 770s! I have never heard the Sony V6, which many regard as a standard for bass reproduction in headphones, but I always had this hunch that the 770's bass response would cream the V6. Add to this the 770's friendly, forgiving and just plain musical character, and you got yourself a very enjoyable headphone.
cool.gif

Papa Lazarou,

you will tell us how you feel about your pair, won't you?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2002 at 3:50 PM Post #13 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco

The construction is all plastic but quite sturdy, the coiled cord is much shorter than the 7506/V6 cord, but much lighter and slightly thinner, also easier to extend without pulling down on the cans, like the 7506's. The padding on cups is excellent, very comfortable, and this is coming with someone with a rather big head and ears, my ears fit inside the cups without a hitch. The extra padding on the headband adds even more comfort, making these puppies top notch when it comes to extended listening sessions.

All plastic? The headband and ear-cup holders are metal. It looks like black anodized aluminum, but it could be steel with a very thin coating of paint, or possibly some sort of black oxide coating like you see on guns.
The ear cups are molded in one piece and have a cup shape so they're incredibly strong.
To summarize the construction: bullet proof.
The only can with a more rugged construction is the Beyer dt-48.

Soundwise I thought the bass was over powering. I prefer the dt250-250.
The very wide/spacious soundstage bothered me when listening to some rock/electronic music. The dt250-250 is more closed in, which I prefer for that type of music.

Put on some well recorded organ music, (Toccata and Fugue in d minor is cool). It sounds sooo good on the dt770's.

Jul 7, 2002 at 5:21 PM Post #14 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by geom_tol

Soundwise I thought the bass was over powering.

What were you driving them with? As I and a couple others noted, the 'overwhelmingness' of the bass seems to be amp-dependant. On some amps, the bass sounds huge, like somebody's got the subwoofer cranked up too high. On others, it's just tight, deep, and wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back