First Impressions: BeyerDynamic DT 770-250
Jul 14, 2002 at 11:29 AM Post #31 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by Toe
I've Hrm, sibilance isn't something I hear very often with mine. What exactly are the "different amps" you're using? And what other cans do you normally listen to?

I had exactly the same sibilance problem with the Sennheiser HD600, (actually it was worse) they sounded screechy and pretty bassless, it was so bad that I went out and bought a new pair of headphones - I really hated them. But I kept trying them every now and again, not believing my first impressions, and at some point the sound opened up and the sibilance dissappeared. My RS1's on the other hand (as far as I can tell) sound the same now as when I bought them a year ago, and have never had this problem. I'm presuming that sometimes the drivers need some time to loosen up a bit. Based on my experience with the HD600 I think the sibilance should go, given enough time.

Jul 14, 2002 at 4:02 PM Post #32 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by Papa Lazarou
Based on my experience with the HD600 I think the sibilance should go, given enough time.

I see. My DT770s were used, so I didn't have to break them in and don't know how they sounded right out of the box. Carry on!
cool.gif

Jul 15, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #33 of 54
I vaguely remember my 770pros being a little sibilant out of the box, but iirc it wen't away after about 8 hours of burn-in.

In no way are my 770s screechy or harsh, have a listen to a pair of Sennheiser HD570s sometime
eek.gif

On the other hand, my DT531s have a noticably 'smoother' upper end, with a little more detail, although they lack the ear-subwoofer slam of the 770s that I love so much for certain music
wink.gif

Jul 15, 2002 at 4:58 PM Post #34 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by Gus B

...which will cause me serious cognitive dissonance everytime I read another 280 attack from Magicthyse!

I hear you
rolleyes.gif

Jul 15, 2002 at 4:59 PM Post #35 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by Gus B

...which will cause me serious cognitive dissonance everytime I read another 280 attack from Magicthyse!

I hear you
rolleyes.gif

Would the slimx + airhead 9v + 770/250 work well ?

Jul 15, 2002 at 6:46 PM Post #36 of 54
I personally use a Sony cd deck, Yamaha receiver (which is bright with not too much overpowering bass), so the 770's seem to work well with this combo.

Jul 16, 2002 at 2:39 AM Post #37 of 54
gloco:

You are making the 770 sound very interesting. But can you compare them with your mdr-7506? I like my 7506 a lot, but sometimes I find them to sound too dry, with too much bass (for rock), and soundstage is too closed-in. How does the 770 stack up against the 7506 in those areas?

Jul 16, 2002 at 11:44 PM Post #38 of 54
Pepsione1 I've got the V6, so I think I can help you out a bit. In a nutshell, the 770 will help at least a little with two of your three problems with the 7506. To my ears, the 770 is definately smoother and more musical than the V6. It's not as closed sounding as the V6, although soundstage isn't exactly cavernous. But if the 7506 has too much bass for you, you're probably going to have the same problem with the 770s. The V6 and 770 are both titans in the bass world.

I think the V6 is a bit more neutral overall, but the 770 is smoother, more musical, and not quite as closed-in. Overall, 770 wins for me, but as Snufkin says, I can definately understand someone else not liking them. I wonder if the DT250 may work a bit better for you, Pepsione1.

Jul 17, 2002 at 1:19 AM Post #39 of 54
Hey Pepsione1,

Toe pretty much nailed the comparison. Also, two other physical gripes i have with the beyers, the headband doesn't stretch out nearly enough compared to the Sony's and the cord is wayyyyyy too short for my tastes.

If you dont want too much bass, stay away from the beyer's...far away, lol.

Jul 17, 2002 at 2:16 AM Post #40 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco

If you dont want too much bass, stay away from the beyer's...far away, lol.

Gloco, the trouble with this is: too much is not enough!

The DT770 has a unique combination (in my experience): tremendous bass extension and power, and real musicality. But the bass doesn't overwhelm me...I just love it.

Jul 17, 2002 at 2:44 AM Post #41 of 54
Calanctus: I pretty much agree, while the bass on the 770pros is mighty impressive, I've never noticed it interfering with the rest of the range, so while you'll get amazing bass impact and slam, it doesn't bloat over the rest of the detail
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2002 at 7:44 PM Post #42 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by Calanctus

Gloco, the trouble with this is: too much is not enough!

The DT770 has a unique combination (in my experience): tremendous bass extension and power, and real musicality. But the bass doesn't overwhelm me...I just love it.

oh, i agree! I think their great cans, but some people here suffer from tin ears. I think the 770's are excellent and bring out that bass that's lost in other headphones.

The bass extension is never "in the way" of the rest of the recording, fwiw.

Jul 18, 2002 at 3:15 AM Post #43 of 54
hey guys, after adding an amp to the V6, they sound much better now then unamped. The V6 is much smoother and the mids isn't so recessed anymore. I wonder if the 770 will have a greater advantage when paired with the proper amp.

I really like my V6 now after I added the amp, I only use it for certain music and it really shines. (i have my ms1 for rock music)
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2002 at 6:22 AM Post #44 of 54
Hey Gloco,

It's great that you enjoy your DT770's! Going from a pair of Sony MDR-V770DJ's, these are a magnificent set of cans. I would HIGHLY recommend them for any type of electronic music. My main interest is in electronic music, mostly DJ sets, and these cans are perfect for bringing out the deep basslines in the music I listen to. Very engaging and warm.

The only depressing thing is, when I mix, I monitor the mix in my headphones. When I take them off, I hear the drastic difference between the cans and my Sony MHC-C405 mini-system, and realize I REALLY need a monitor upgrade
wink.gif

Jul 18, 2002 at 12:49 PM Post #45 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by punosion
Hey Gloco,

It's great that you enjoy your DT770's! Going from a pair of Sony MDR-V770DJ's, these are a magnificent set of cans. I would HIGHLY recommend them for any type of electronic music. My main interest is in electronic music, mostly DJ sets, and these cans are perfect for bringing out the deep basslines in the music I listen to. Very engaging and warm.

The only depressing thing is, when I mix, I monitor the mix in my headphones. When I take them off, I hear the drastic difference between the cans and my Sony MHC-C405 mini-system, and realize I REALLY need a monitor upgrade
wink.gif

hehe, they are great headphones, i've been listening to them everyday with various cds and constantly find myself enjoying everything throw at them, which makes them very enjoyable. I really hate the idea of having to select a specific headphone for just one genre. These are definitely all around great closed headphones for every genre, i listened to some classical comps i have dubbed to minidisc and truely enjoyed what i was hearing, the instrument separation is great for a closed headphone. Damn...i'm glad i picked these up.

Hey Gluegun, wherever you are, we should start pushing these beyers for dj use
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back