First Impressions: BeyerDynamic DT 770-250
Jul 7, 2002 at 7:19 PM Post #16 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by geom_tol
All plastic? The headband and ear-cup holders are metal. It looks like black anodized aluminum, but it could be steel with a very thin coating of paint, or possibly some sort of black oxide coating like you see on guns.
The ear cups are molded in one piece and have a cup shape so they're incredibly strong.
To summarize the construction: bullet proof.
The only can with a more rugged construction is the Beyer dt-48.

Oops, my mistake, ya got me there. You are correct regarding the ear cup holders, they seem like their some sort of metal, which i didn't notice until yesterday. The only negative thing i have found is that the headband doesn't expand as much as i wish it did. Bending the band into a more rounded (than oval) only takes away from how long the band can expand outward. Basically if you have a long head, you may not find these cans comfortable. People with small heads and small ears will love these things. I found the bass to be great, never over powering with the cmoy amp. With my receiver, it was only over powering when i had the bass knob turned all the way up, and by over powering i mean, its like a 15" sub. Nothing wrong with that
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2002 at 1:52 AM Post #17 of 54
I too bought the 770 at Tomcat's suggestion, and I love 'em. 'Astounding' is the right word for their bass output. I believe the specs claim they go down to 7 Hz...lower even than most subwoofers. I'm powering them with an EarMax Pro and it seems to do the job very well. I actually prefer these phones to other, more expensive pairs I own (AT W100 and electrostats).

Jul 8, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #18 of 54
I wanna pair!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Biggie.

Jul 8, 2002 at 12:51 PM Post #19 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by Calanctus
I too bought the 770 at Tomcat's suggestion, and I love 'em. 'Astounding' is the right word for their bass output. I believe the specs claim they go down to 7 Hz...lower even than most subwoofers. I'm powering them with an EarMax Pro and it seems to do the job very well. I actually prefer these phones to other, more expensive pairs I own (AT W100 and electrostats).

I believe the specs claim they got as low as 5 Hz and i believe it!

George

Jul 11, 2002 at 8:03 PM Post #20 of 54
How are these phones for classical music? Also, do you think an airhead is sufficient to drive them without the "thickness" problem?

I have 280 pro's (I like them) but they're about to be ripped off by a family member for college. I was going to get another pair, but after seeing this thread, I'm thinking of upgrading to the 770s. Good idea? Will I need a better amp than my airhead? I take it that Crescendo would say the airhead wont do. I listen to about 50% classical, 50% classic rock.

Jul 12, 2002 at 1:23 PM Post #21 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by Gus B
How are these phones for classical music? Also, do you think an airhead is sufficient to drive them without the "thickness" problem?

I have 280 pro's (I like them) but they're about to be ripped off by a family member for college. I was going to get another pair, but after seeing this thread, I'm thinking of upgrading to the 770s. Good idea? Will I need a better amp than my airhead? I take it that Crescendo would say the airhead wont do. I listen to about 50% classical, 50% classic rock.

Hi Gus,

Their actually very good with just about every genre of music, including classical ( i listened to a MD compilation and i was happy with that i heard!). Mind you, since its a closed can, the soundstage is not as spacious as a open headphone, like the Sennheiser HD580's or HD600's. However, these beyer's are very enjoyable, i find myself bopping along to the music and forgetting about any shortcomings the headphone may have (unlike some other brands). I'm not familair with headroom's amps, but my Altoids and Cmoy amps drove the beyers 'ok.' My receiver drives them beautifully, the bass is goes extremely deep and never sounds muddy or loose.

Jul 12, 2002 at 5:54 PM Post #22 of 54
has anyone heard these phones with the mg head? i have been thinking about getting a pair of closed beyers because i really could use some isolation at work and this being my least liked amp, i keep it at work. i read the post about them probably being driven best by low-impedance solid-state amplifier, so i bet they'd sound nice out of my sugden but i'm not bringing that to work. i just want some nice closed phones, my etys are not convenient and i have this mg head at work so i might as well use something that can be driven by it.

so, any suggestions or comments on the 770/250 with a tube amp?

Jul 12, 2002 at 6:35 PM Post #23 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco

Basically if you have a long head, you may not find these cans comfortable. People with small heads and small ears will love these things.

Oh oh--I missed this observation first time through. I have a size 8 head, so things aren't lookin' so hot for the 770. I also have larger than average ears, which scared me away from the 250-80-- I saw a post on another thread where delenda est Sony said "And the Beyers [250-80's] ... rest on most ears instead of enclosing them (unless you have wee tiny hobbit like ears...)." Any big-headed, large eared head-fiers have good experience with either the 770 or 250-80? Or is it back to the senn 280 for me, which will cause me serious cognitive dissonance everytime I read another 280 attack from Magicthyse!

Jul 12, 2002 at 6:47 PM Post #24 of 54
First of all, don't worry about the DT770s not covering your ears. Unless you've got freakish ears, they'll fit around them just fine. However, I'll admit that the headband could be a bit longer. I keep them almost completely extended and my head's not even that large. It may be possible to get a bit more length by bending the part that connects the cups to the headband. This should also relieve the "head clamp" effect, if any.

Jul 12, 2002 at 9:02 PM Post #25 of 54
Yeah, my ears fit inside just fine, but i wish the headband stretched out more.

Jul 12, 2002 at 9:42 PM Post #26 of 54
I am a firm believer that there is no such thing as a neutral component, no matter what the cost. But, I do believe that some products are more versatile, and work well with a larger variable of existing components.
I think the Beyer DT-770 pros are not of this type. I have found the DT-770 pros to be a specialty product, similiar to my Wheatfield HA 2.
Because the HA-2 has average attack, wonderful decay, huge soundstaging, and a high impedance output it will match up well only with open headphones of high impedance that have good detail. The DT-770s do not have the ultimate detail of the HD-600s, and do not match up well with my HA-2. However, this doesn't mean that other tube amps can't drive the Beyer DT-770 pros adequately, because not all tube amps sound anywhere near what the HA-2 does.
But, what my ears are telling me is that a the DT-770s sound much better with a solid-state amp. They need the grip, control, and analytical detail of a high powered, low impedance, solid-state to maximize their potential.
The Headroom amps definitely have the power to drive the DT-770s, but one might look into some silver interconnects, or even a brighter, or more analytical source.
In ending, I think if someone found the right associating equipment to match the Beyer DT-770 pros to their tastes they would be in for an exciting, dynamic, and musical presentation. Now, I'm afraid I'm in the hunt for a solid-state amp, and silver interconnects specifically for these phones. They ROCK!

Jul 13, 2002 at 6:34 PM Post #27 of 54
Thx for a very informative thread on these interesting phones. I guess for large headed dudes like me, senn 280's are still a better bet for a closed phone. If a similar phone to the 770 appears for the cranially well-endowed, let us know.

Jul 14, 2002 at 2:52 AM Post #28 of 54
I've just received these headphones. I ordered two pairs of Beyer headphones. The DT770 Pro and (a cheaper lightweight open pair) the DT75. These are the first closed type of headphone that I have tried. Unfortunately my first impressions of them are not very favourable.
frown.gif

At the moment (to me) the sound is closed-in, with more vocal sibilance than I'm used too. There's certainly a lot of bass! I've tried them on a handful of different amps, and I've burned them in for about 20 hours so far. I find myself prefering the cheaper DT75's. I find these nice and musical, and give better sound quality than I was expecting for £30.

I'll give the DT770's some more burn-in, and then if I still don't like them I'lll try and sell them - I'm thinking that I might prefer the DT931's (perhaps with a 120ohm adapter to tame the brightness).

Anyway I'm glad you guys like 'em.

Jul 14, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #29 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
one might look into some silver interconnects, or even a brighter, or more analytical source.

Indeed, I'm probably going to build my next amp using silver wire, and I'm even thinking about trying to make my own silver headphone cable for these things.

Jul 14, 2002 at 3:37 AM Post #30 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by Papa Lazarou
I've just received these headphones. I ordered two pairs of Beyer headphones. The DT770 Pro and (a cheaper lightweight open pair) the DT75. These are the first closed type of headphone that I have tried. Unfortunately my first impressions of them are not very favourable.
frown.gif

At the moment (to me) the sound is closed-in, with more vocal sibilance than I'm used too. There's certainly a lot of bass! I've tried them on a handful of different amps, and I've burned them in for about 20 hours so far. I find myself prefering the cheaper DT75's. I find these nice and musical, and give better sound quality than I was expecting for £30.

I'll give the DT770's some more burn-in, and then if I still don't like them I'lll try and sell them - I'm thinking that I might prefer the DT931's (perhaps with a 120ohm adapter to tame the brightness).

Anyway I'm glad you guys like 'em.

Hrm, sibilance isn't something I hear very often with mine. What exactly are the "different amps" you're using? And what other cans do you normally listen to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back