First experience with "top tier" IEMs (Triple.Fi 10)
Apr 27, 2011 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Ace o' Spades

500+ Head-Fier
I got my first set of high-end IEMs in the mail this week and just thought I'd post a little review on my impressions. First off, I enjoy a pretty broad range of music including punk rock, reggae, ska, and more electronic stuff like Dubstep, Drum & Bass, and glitch. So whatever cans I ended up getting needed to do pretty much anything. Other IEMs I have owned/currently own are: UE Super.Fi 3s, Altec Lansing iM716 (podectomized), Shure e2c, and JVC Marshmallows (Kramer mod). Out of those, my favorite was the iM716s, but I found all of them (except for the marshmallows) lacking in the ever-important bass that is pretty much required for enjoying Dubstep.

I had been looking to get a nice set of IEMs for a while, since my PIMETA amp broke on me (my fault) and the Sennheiser HD580s I was using before really need an amp to sound good. Plus, they didn't quite fit me right, putting pressure right on a place on my jaw that caused discomfort after less than an hour in most cases. Because of these issues I decided to trade them for a pair of TF10s from another member on this board. I don't regret that decision for one second!

Fit with the universal-fit Ultimate Ears is a known problem with some people, but luckily for me I have never had an issue with it. I always liked how the Super.Fi 3s fit, so it was no surprise to me that the Triple.Fis fit just as nicely. The nice soft Comply tips that were included with the phones definitely helped with that too. Even though the fit is great for me, after trying on the Super.Fi 3s for comparison, the TF10s do feel bigger and heavier in the ears. Nothing that would be irritating, but they dont seem to "disappear" in your ears like the SF3s can. They definitely don't feel like they are violating my ears like the iM716s do, though, which is a plus 
biggrin.gif

The Sound on these things are unlike anything I have ever heard. They easily outperform all of my previous IEMs (no surprise), with ridiculous clarity and impact. The bass is really outstanding and exactly my cup of tea. Having never really experienced what an IEM with good bass sounds like until trying these, it's really awesome to hear how well-articulated it is, especially with music like Dubstep, where the "texture" of the bass really stands out. One particular track, "Animale - DatsiK Dubstep Remix" by Don Diablo and DatsiK, really shows off how good the bass is:

The midrange is great but nothing special in my opinion. I have read people's reviews who say that it is recessed, but I wouldn't really go that far. It's more like, they take a back seat from the outstanding bass and treble. It's still there, but not quite as upfront as other cans I have tried. Vocals sound great and organ and piano especially are really fantastic but some vocals can get a little lost. The highs are right up there in quality with the bass, very clear, never harsh though sometimes they get borderline harsh, if that makes sense.

To wrap things up (wow this ended up being a lot longer than I expected), what was just going to be a replacement, and possibly a step down, form my HD580s, was actually a big step up for me. I really love these TF10s! Great fit and sound quality that has satisfied my urge for great sound for the time being. Now it's time to fix that PIMETA so I can really take these things to the next level!

Thanks for reading!

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #6 of 11
Yep, the Triple.Fi 10 is often under appreciated and overlooked.  It's better than some give them credit for.  For me, they have been in my top 3 for a long time and I've used many high end earphones.  They are really quite good and at some of the ridiculously low pricing they've been at have been very, very high bang for the buck.

As with any universal BA earphone, the choice to go custom may more likely depend on when/if you break the universal at some point in the future.

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #8 of 11
I was thinking of getting a pair of these some time.  I've wanted to try out a multi-driver BA IEM for awhile.  Though I think my next purchase will probably be an RE-ZERO since I don't have anything with a remotely similar signature to that yet.

Apr 28, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #9 of 11
I was lucky to find a pair of used re zero on sale for 50 bucks and also the 10pro (used of course) for 100!

what should I do!! the real zero should be 'new' but its from hk meaning I could not try them, while 10pro is from a fd who is finding them too clear

what should I do!!!

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
I was lucky to find a pair of used re zero on sale for 50 bucks and also the 10pro (used of course) for 100!

what should I do!! the real zero should be 'new' but its from hk meaning I could not try them, while 10pro is from a fd who is finding them too clear

what should I do!!!

Buy them both.

May 7, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #11 of 11
lol evil headfi ppl.

nah i ended up only buying the 10pro :) which is very very sounding

Users who are viewing this thread

Back