First Date Ideas....
Mar 25, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #61 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrplow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Laxx makes a really good point. The word "date" has so many connotations attached to it.

Seriously, poll 50 random girls and ask them:

Would you rather have a guy say:

"Can I take you out sometime?"

or

"My friends and I go out running/salsa dancing/swimming/hiking/shopping/whatever Thursday nights. You should tag along. Bring some of your friends if you want."

Now if you're worried that asking the latter will get you in the dreaded "friend" zone, don't worry. It took me a while to realize this but it's simple.

If you act like her male friend, then you'll end up as one. If you don't, then you won't. It's simply knowing the distinction between affection (one way road to friend-zone) and attraction.

Oh the dreaded friend zone, thats where I don't want to end up with the girl I am interested in right now. She just broke up with her boyfriend on Friday so I have to give her a lot of down time but at the same time I don't want to end up in the friend zone in the mean time.

Mar 25, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #62 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
girls will go for a guy that is bold and outgoing over one that just hope something happens.

At least I noticed...but what do I know?
rolleyes.gif

i know that, i'm pretty much as confident as it gets. but i don't think you understand how incredibly stupid i look when i dance. (a) i was one of the only white people present (b) white men can't dance, especially me!

i don't think anyone else really cared, it's just one of those "wow i am embarrassed for myself" moments. ah well, not the first time i've made a fool of myself and certainly not the last. might have to bust a move on the dance floor again sometime soon. i should take breakdancing lessons, then i'd be awesome.

Mar 25, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #63 of 111
HAHA. My friend offered to teach me the "hip hop" dance class. (never woulda knew.) It doesn't matter really. But just go with it you know? what do you have to lose?

Mar 26, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #64 of 111
NoValidTitle-

My two cents for you to take or leave. Speaking from experience, unless you really don't know her well or have only known her for a very short time, I would cut the romantic interest cord.

If she's attractive and more importantly has a really cool personality as well (which I gather to be the case here), she has A LOT of options when it comes to boyfriends. The fact that you probably know about her little insecurities, family/personal issues (again I'm assuming from my own experiences) is actually to your disadvantage here, as she may feel that you know her a little TOO well. Most cool, attractive women will never exchange a friend for a boyfriend when she has so many choices for relationship material. The risk of losing your friendship and the great advice and support you provide her is usually just not worth the risk to her.

And as much as I wish it were true, the "nice guy friend finally confesses his true feelings to the really cool, attractive girl he's infatuated with" moment never works in real life as it does in the movies (if any guys reading this can provide a real-life counter-example, I'm more than interested in hearing it).

If you really want to still try and get this girl (and it will be very difficult if you're currently in friend zone), the next time you invite her out bring some of your attractive female friends along.

Now I'm not saying, "manipulate her by making her jealous."

What I am saying is let her know that you have high social value and also have many options when it comes to relationships, and this is one of the quickest ways to communicate that fact. A woman will NEVER go for a guy that she believes has a lower value (and looks only play a small part in this) than herself.

Good luck either way.

-----------------

As for the whole dancing thing-

It took me a while to realize this but you do NOT need to know how to effectively "club dance" in order to get the girl at a bar or club. As long as you're having a good time and are comfortable with yourself, as Thelonious and Skeeder are, then it doesn't matter.

I used to envy the guys that could seem to grind with all the hot girls on the dance floor. But those guys rarely walk away with anything more than a dance (or on occasion the drunken makeout). If that's what you're aiming for (and there's nothing wrong with that, dancing is physical and fun), then sure, learning some dance moves won't hurt.

But if you're trying to win a future meeting with the girl, it's much easier done near the bar than on the dance floor (where you can create both attraction AND rapport).

Just whatever you do, DON'T be one of THOSE quiet guys standing there at the edge of the dance floor with his one or two guy friends, holding his drink close to his chest while staring wistfully at everyone else grinding on the dancefloor. Trust me, I used to be one of them. There's nothing that says "insecure" and "not having fun" as much as this.

You should be able to have a good time at a bar/club regardless of whether you are on or off the dance floor. If not, then find a social setting you can actually enjoy.

If you're having laughing, having a good time, and comfortable with who you are, you will end up attracting OTHERS towards yourself. Everyone wants to go where the fun is.

Sorry if this comes off as long-winded, but my brain cranks out a lot at night. Anyway, I'll shut up for now. Thanks to everyone who commented on my previous posts.

Mar 26, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #65 of 111
Do not try and force time to go faster in order to make progress with her.

Just chillax, although that is very hard to do at times. Time will tell; just be friends with her for the moment and have no thoughts or intentions of doing anything other than being friends with her.

Mar 26, 2007 at 10:46 AM Post #66 of 111
Quote:

NoValidTitle-
And as much as I wish it were true, the "nice guy friend finally confesses his true feelings to the really cool, attractive girl he's infatuated with" moment never works in real life as it does in the movies (if any guys reading this can provide a real-life counter-example, I'm more than interested in hearing it).

Tru dat.
plainface.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #67 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys, the date went awesome. We hit it off really well and I ended up asking her to prom spontaneously (I hadn't really planned on going) and she said yes.

Ended up ice skating - which was literally the perfect ice breaker because we were both terrible at it (so many laughs) and then we headed up to a really nice mall intending to go to the cafe in Borders Books. Well turns out that the Borders in the mall doesn't have a cafe, but things were going so well that I asked her to dinner instead. That went great as well. Was only planning on the date being an hour anda half or two but it ended up being four hours, and easily would have gone longer except she had to be back to go to a play.

Overall I had a LOT of fun and found someone that I may end up in a relationship with for a long time. Thanks guys.

Really nice hearing that! i hope it will work out for the both of you
icon10.gif
Have fun at the prom!

Mar 26, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #69 of 111
Quote:

Most cool, attractive women will never exchange a friend for a boyfriend when she has so many choices for relationship material. The risk of losing your friendship and the great advice and support you provide her is usually just not worth the risk to her.

Well, I did that once. I cheated on my (ex)boyfriend with my best friend. Ditched the bf and started a relationship with him wich lasted 1,5 years.
But I just found out stuff about him wich i didn't like and I would have never discovered them probably if we stayed friends.
Moral of the story.....Probably none. It was worth it though for as long as it lasted. Now my bf is my best friend. I think that is the safest solution LOL
tongue.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #70 of 111
Quote:

NoValidTitle-

My two cents for you to take or leave. Speaking from experience, unless you really don't know her well or have only known her for a very short time, I would cut the romantic interest cord.

If she's attractive and more importantly has a really cool personality as well (which I gather to be the case here), she has A LOT of options when it comes to boyfriends. The fact that you probably know about her little insecurities, family/personal issues (again I'm assuming from my own experiences) is actually to your disadvantage here, as she may feel that you know her a little TOO well. Most cool, attractive women will never exchange a friend for a boyfriend when she has so many choices for relationship material. The risk of losing your friendship and the great advice and support you provide her is usually just not worth the risk to her.

If you really want to still try and get this girl (and it will be very difficult if you're currently in friend zone), the next time you invite her out bring some of your attractive female friends along.

Now I'm not saying, "manipulate her by making her jealous."

What I am saying is let her know that you have high social value and also have many options when it comes to relationships, and this is one of the quickest ways to communicate that fact. A woman will NEVER go for a guy that she believes has a lower value (and looks only play a small part in this) than herself.

Good luck either way.

Thanks, that is all great info! Yeah I have actually been in the situation you speak of with trying to get a girl in your friend zone. This one I haven't known very long (3 weeks?) I was on vacation with her in NH last week with 3 of my best friends, her and her boyfriend. She was having a rough time with him while we were there and one morning her and I went out for a hike and both brought our SLR cameras on for some photography fun and had a blast! My friends are also helping with getting us in a couples type environment without throwing myself at her if that makes sense. For example we are going to the NY Auto Show (she loves cars it was her idea we aren't dragging her there) and we are making it sort of a couples thing, my best friend, his g/f, the girl I'm interested in and myself... no third wheels. She also loves horses (equestrian major with 3 horses) and I've always wanted to legitimately ride a horse(how convenient). So we should be doing that sometime soon. Either way I'm sure I'm not in the friend zone YET. It's a tough situation because I have no plan on rushing her into anything but at the same time don't want to wait too long and end up in the friend zone.

Mar 26, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #72 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I did that once. I cheated on my (ex)boyfriend with my best friend. Ditched the bf and started a relationship with him wich lasted 1,5 years.
But I just found out stuff about him wich i didn't like and I would have never discovered them probably if we stayed friends.
Moral of the story.....Probably none. It was worth it though for as long as it lasted. Now my bf is my best friend. I think that is the safest solution LOL
tongue.gif

Wait... what makes you so sure that you are one of those "cool, attractive women" I was referring to?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #73 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

not really.. then you break up and realize you suddenly lost your best friend too! I've made this mistake before and from now on relationships are kept seperate from friendships.

as for the friends-> dating thing, I've asked out a few girls that I was friends with first, some of them whom I was friends with for a long time. They always gave me that "Well I don't want to jeopordize our friendship.." speech, and I always give them the "we'll always stay friends no matter what" speech. It seems to work.. Although not one of these relationships has ever worked out or lasted more than a few months...so take from it what you will...

my advice is just make a move on her and let her know your feelings. If you end up having too many fun dates she'll start thinking that you're just hanging out as friends. Make it obvious to her that you're interested with some sort of gesture, like hand holding or a kiss during a romantic date. If she's not interested then you will save yourself a lot of time money and grief!

Mar 26, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #74 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoValidTitle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, that is all great info! Yeah I have actually been in the situation you speak of with trying to get a girl in your friend zone. This one I haven't known very long (3 weeks?) I was on vacation with her in NH last week with 3 of my best friends, her and her boyfriend. She was having a rough time with him while we were there and one morning her and I went out for a hike and both brought our SLR cameras on for some photography fun and had a blast! My friends are also helping with getting us in a couples type environment without throwing myself at her if that makes sense. For example we are going to the NY Auto Show (she loves cars it was her idea we aren't dragging her there) and we are making it sort of a couples thing, my best friend, his g/f, the girl I'm interested in and myself... no third wheels. She also loves horses (equestrian major with 3 horses) and I've always wanted to legitimately ride a horse(how convenient). So we should be doing that sometime soon. Either way I'm sure I'm not in the friend zone YET. It's a tough situation because I have no plan on rushing her into anything but at the same time don't want to wait too long and end up in the friend zone.

You're welcome. NH definitely is a lot of fun for the outdoors stuff, isn't it? And "Live Free or Die" is still the best state motto ever made.

If you know that you are interested in her as more than just a friend, you have to lead her to the next step. I think what the 2 others were saying earlier, about getting into relationships with former good friends, were more of instances where things "just happened". In other words, the intention of friendship was MUTUAL at the beginning. Both parties had no idea of what was going to happen right about until it happened.

It's obvious that this isn't the case here, as you clearly have a desire to pursue things on more than just a friends level when you first met this girl. The longer you wait, the more you'll be pushed into the friend zone.

More importantly, it's how you act rather than length of time that determines which category you fall into. Be fun, challenging, don't do things looking for/expecting certain reactions, non-needy, and have a good time. For example, here's a great modified nugget of gold you might be able to use.

When you're at the car show, hop into the backseat of a convertible, stretch back, and with an mischievous glint in your eye say "Hey... wanna do it?" As long as she's laughing and having a good time and flirting back, it's all good.

And of course, when it comes down to it, you're going to have to escalate things to some kind of physical level. Just remember, don't hesitate, and the 4 base model most guys tend to use is complete bs. You know, 1st = kissing, 2nd = breastisis, 3rd = everything but, 4th = sex.

Trust me if you don't already know this (and confirm this with your female friends), it's much easier and comfortable for her to go from talking => handholding => hair smelling/nuzzling => playful neck biting/hair pulling => kissing than trying to go from talking => kissing as most guys tend to do. Remember, guys = light switches, girls = volume knobs.

One good, old way to tell if she's giving off signs of interest is to take her by the hand and lead her to another part of the club/convention/restaurant/whatever. As you're leading her give her hand a gentle squeeze. If she squeezes back, then things are probably going well.

Anyway, I feel like I'm turning this into a Dr. ****ing Phil column (except with advice that can actually work
tongue.gif
) , so I promise this is my last post on this thread. Good luck-- the rest is up to you.

Mar 26, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #75 of 111
Quote:

When you're at the car show, hop into the backseat of a convertible, stretch back, and with an mischievous glint in your eye say "Hey... wanna do it?" As long as she's laughing and having a good time and flirting back, it's all good.

i am so going to do that some day.

Quote:

Remember, guys = light switches, girls = volume knobs.

this too. i think "Mr. Plow" would be a better show than "Dr. Phil", personally.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back