First Custom IEM
Jun 11, 2014 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Bonobo

Head-Fier
Unfortunately, my beloved Panasonic HJE900 have died. One channel doesn't work anymore.
I've always had an eye on a custom IEM, but the search is difficult when you can't demo one. I liked the hje900 a lot as I said. Much better than the Klipsch S4 which went before it. I also have the Yamaha EPH 100 but I miss the sparkly treble (almost lack of treble) of the HJE 900 with these and they also have a 'metallic' sound to them for lack of a better word.

Maybe someone can recommend me a CIEM which is fun, has good bass and sparkly treble, which allows me to enjoy the music I listen to, which is pop, electronic, ambient etc.

Any help is appreciated. I seem to always come back tot the 1964 Ears V6 it seems, but don't know if these fall into the right category of requirements.

Jun 11, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 8
I'd recommend to look at TheCustomArt offerings. Music Two sounds like it may fit a bill at very resonable price and Harmony on the other (still reasonable) end of CustomArt's price range.

Stay away from JH Audio due to their very bad customer service these days.

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #4 of 8
I seem to be attracted to the 1964 iem range. But I also got a reply that they maybe a bit too 'flat' for my taste. I'm starting to think that no CIEM would suit my needs and that I should stay in the 'universal' range. Any recommendation in that range is also appreciated. I like a fun sound, no matter the brand!

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #5 of 8
Do you have a budget restriction ? In which geographic area are you ?

In IEM the Shure SE846 are an interesting option for extended highs without aggressivity.

In CIEM many brands are interesting too...

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #8 of 8
How do you like your SM64 JoeDoe? Do you have a review up or a review from any other iem you mention, like V3 or W3?

The sm64 is my favorite IEM I've heard. If you look at my profile that's out of many budget to mid tier IEMs. Very detailed and relaxed. Nice bass weight, clear rich mids, and extended yet inoffensive treble.

It certainly is more refined that the W3, not as V shaped as the TF10, more natural than the 530/535, and more fun that the UE900 or W4. I highly recommend it, esp. if you can find one for under $400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back