First AKG K701 impressions.
Jan 9, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #121 of 431
So back on topic ..... whats the k701 sound like??
icon10.gif

Does it have bass? Is the treble sibilant as some have claimed .... or not? Does the k701 have the resolution of the senn 600/650? Is the k701 as refiined sounding as the senn 600/650? Its clear the k701 probably doesnt have as much midrange body and warmth as the senns ..... but does the k701 have enough midrange body to avoid sounding to thin?

Any comments .... ???

Jan 9, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #122 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
confused.gif
Not sure what you're referring to or why you think my comments were directed to your last post (among many others). Whatever.

I've noticed that much of the time when people make vague indictments, they're referring to the most recent posters. Sorry if I've misapplied that in your case.

Jan 9, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #123 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
I've noticed that much of the time when people make vague indictments, they're referring to the most recent posters. Sorry if I've misapplied that in your case.

As an attorney who has practiced for many years, I've learned that vague indictments are the most effective.
icon10.gif

In any event, I would really be interested in hearing any thoughts on the questions raised by sacd lover, as these issues were the ones I initially stopped by to hear about.

Jan 10, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #124 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
So back on topic ..... whats the k701 sound like??
icon10.gif

Does it have bass? Is the treble sibilant as some have claimed .... or not? Does the k701 have the resolution of the senn 600/650? Is the k701 as refiined sounding as the senn 600/650? Its clear the k701 probably doesnt have as much midrange body and warmth as the senns ..... but does the k701 have enough midrange body to avoid sounding to thin?

Any comments .... ???

Yep, I think the 701's have very good bass it's tight, punchy and deep. For me the real standount of the 701 bass is the detail thats present, they are superior to many headphones in this regard. If your concerned about the 701 having a similar bass rolloff to the 501 theres no need they are very solid down into the 20hz range.

I have not experienced any siliblance with the 701 but they are resolving headphones (more so than the 650) so it wouldn't surprise if they can be depending on the associated equipment in use.

The 701 have a more upfront presentation compared to the 650, for example instead of being ten rows back from the stage like the 650 the 701 are probably 4-5 rows back.

The 650 do win when it comes to midrange warmth but the 701 have a more than respectable amount. They don't sound thin in any way, and I really think they are some of the more balanced phones around.

Jan 10, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #125 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
Yep, I think the 701's have very good bass it's tight, punchy and deep. For me the real standount of the 701 bass is the detail thats present, they are superior to many headphones in this regard. If your concerned about the 701 having a similar bass rolloff to the 501 theres no need they are very solid down into the 20hz range.

I have not experienced any siliblance with the 701 but they are resolving headphones (more so than the 650) so it wouldn't surprise if they can be depending on the associated equipment in use.

The 701 have a more upfront presentation compared to the 650, for example instead of being ten rows back from the stage like the 650 the 701 are probably 4-5 rows back.

The 650 do win when it comes to midrange warmth but the 701 have a more than respectable amount. They don't sound thin in any way, and I really think they are some of the more balanced phones around.

Thank you Sir ..... thats exactly the kind of information I have been looking for. Have you compared the k701's to the k601's by any chance? I went ahead and ordered a pair of 701's from Todd tonight. But I am still very curious about the k601's too.
wink.gif

Jan 10, 2006 at 9:20 AM Post #126 of 431
My impression is that the K 701 needs tubes... and possibly BIGS tubes... I'll tell you very soon...

Best!
Nicola

Jan 10, 2006 at 9:30 AM Post #127 of 431
Hearing people talk of the K701's still higher resolution as compared to the HD650, I'm truly worried. My HD650 feels so near to the no-return (of total musical immersion) threshold already, when it comes to detail...
smily_headphones1.gif

Yet, if I can put the cash together in reasonable time, I may satisfy this strange urge to get one... with my kind regards to this forum.
rolleyes.gif

Were it just to prove to myself that/if I'm the likes of Mastergill not the likes of Nik.
tongue.gif

Jan 10, 2006 at 9:31 AM Post #128 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
But I am still very curious about the k601's too.
wink.gif

Me, too...

Jan 10, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #130 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
My impression is that the K 701 needs tubes... and possibly BIGS tubes... I'll tell you very soon...

Best!
Nicola

Nik, could there be a relation between your expectation with tube amping and my impression about a bit recessed midrange of the K701?

Chamix

Jan 10, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #131 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by chamix
Nik, could there be a relation between your expectation with tube amping and my impression about a bit recessed midrange of the K701?

Chamix

Yes, I think so...

I using now my K 701 with a monster tube amp and... is another K 701 ! But I cannot speak yet... very soon some news...

Best!
Nicola

Jan 10, 2006 at 2:28 PM Post #132 of 431
I agree on the (slightly) recessed midrange. Not sure if on the tube amp, although it sounds good with the EMP. But so far I think the Aria prototype still emphasizes its virtues (such as definition) better. Of course these are premature findings -- after 90 hours of operation (not much change since the 75-hour check).

It may be the midrange recession that makes me e.g. prefer organ music from the HD 650. It even seems to have higher resolution there, and definitely higher refinement and smoothness. Especially the perceived step in the transition between midrange and treble leads to a lack of ultimate smoothness and refinement with the K 701, although not with every recording. The issue isn't genre dependent.

Jan 10, 2006 at 2:37 PM Post #133 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
... is another K 701 ! But I cannot speak yet... very soon some news...

Best!
Nicola

This sounds interesting, Nik. Let us know about the results asap.
biggrin.gif

Another effect of these resessed midrange could bring the wish to raise the volume with the K701 though it can show all the details at lower volume.

Chamix

Jan 10, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #134 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
I agree on the (slightly) recessed midrange. Not sure if on the tube amp, although it sounds good with the EMP. But so far I think the Aria prototype still emphasizes its virtues (such as definition) better. Of course these are premature findings -- after 90 hours of operation (not much change since the 75-hour check).

It may be the midrange recession that makes me e.g. prefer organ music from the HD 650. It even seems to have higher resolution there, and definitely higher refinement and smoothness. Especially the perceived step in the transition between midrange and treble leads to a lack of ultimate smoothness and refinement with the K 701, although not with every recording. The issue isn't genre dependent.

Tubes, yes the K 701 needs TUBES, but with ouputs transformers... This is my experience... The EraMax probably do not have the power for the best result of this cans.

Best!
Nicola

Jan 10, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #135 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ

Ouch, this is not for me. Saves me money.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Nice. I think it's frequency response dependent.

Measurements and listening impressions look like they don't "paradoxically diverge" by so much, after all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back