FIRST 5.5 GEN IMOD IMPRESSIONS!
Jun 26, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #301 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if this has been brought up before, but I asked Ken @ ALO if he could incorporate an 1/8" jack onto the new V-Cap dock, and his reply was:

I for one was happy with that decision as I've got not one 1/8"- 1/8" cable, and no portable amps. I do have a nice Crystal Cable Piccolo iPod to run into a full-sized amp, and really want to use it.

Gotta hand it to Ken and Vinnie: they do innovate and do their best to please their customers by giving them what they want!

Does that mean rca's and 1/8" or do you have to choose as an option?

Jun 26, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #302 of 343
It sounded like he meant it would have both included, not either/or and you choose the one you want.

Jun 30, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #303 of 343
Jul 4, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #304 of 343
Ok, let me get this straight; To burn in a 5G imod, you plug in the alo cable to a headphone amp. But keep the headphone amp OFF, without any headphoens coming out?

And run a song on repeat on the imod?

Thanks

Jul 5, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #305 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, let me get this straight; To burn in a 5G imod, you plug in the alo cable to a headphone amp. But keep the headphone amp OFF, without any headphoens coming out?

And run a song on repeat on the imod?

Thanks

Hi Kabeer,

Regarding burn-in, you need to have your iMod connected to your headphone amp (via the ALO iMod Dock cable) AND playing music (repeat mode is a good idea). The headphone amp can be turned ON or OFF... doesn't matter, but the iMod needs to be connected to your amp (to act as a load, allowing electrical current to flow) AND playing music.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #307 of 343
Ok, at just past the 100hour burn in mark, the iMod sounds pretty darn good (using a altoids cmoy amp and shure e5's with lossless).

Just compared to my iriver line out (which has Lame preset mp3s though) and what was immediatly apparent was the wider soundstage and detail in the music. Seperation is better as well. Overall im impressed.

At 0hour burn in, it struck me as very dark and bass heavy (strange I thought), now it sounds very balanced, just great overall.

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #309 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by d4r3d3vil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry to ask.
can anyone tell me whats the differences between a 5 and 5.5 Gen ipod ?
also. is a 5.5 imod ipod better than a 5 imod ipod ?
thanks for replying..

There was a whole thread on this recently: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...highlight=5.5g

Also, the differences between the 5 & 5.5g imods, will be exactly the same as the 5 & 5.5g iPods (since the only modded thing on these ipods is the line out connector, and thats the same on all 5 & 5.5g ipods)

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #310 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, the differences between the 5 & 5.5g imods, will be exactly the same as the 5 & 5.5g iPods (since the only modded thing on these ipods is the line out connector, and thats the same on all 5 & 5.5g ipods)

Kabeer is correct.... in terms of sound quality, the 5G and 5.5G iMod are identical
cool.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #311 of 343
Received my iMod 2 days ago, bought them directly from Ken(ALO) and compared to my 5G iPod, the first impression I have when using it with Millet and UE9:
1. Much better Transparency: It's like windows being opened.
2. Highly Sparkling
3. Very Open Sounding
5. Very Big Soundstage
6. Very Dynamic more so than iPOD, I could hear the thug, and thack of drums and guitar.
7. Bass is deeper and stronger.

iPod sounded very constricted and Muddy in comparison when using my UE9.

In my case, iMod is a very well worth it upgrade. I find a very noticable difference! UE9 is a very picky headphones so any bad recordings or source, it's highly noticable.

Before upgrading to iMod, I found UE9 bass to be bloated, dark, yucky sibilance, thin tops. All those problems gone with iMod which is very surprising and unexpected.

Jul 23, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #312 of 343
I finally broke down and iModded my 5.5g 80gb iPod. I have a 4G iMod already, and I was hoping for an even larger hard drive before modding, but I could no longer wait.

I've broken in the ALO female dock I got for the 5G iMod, and I have to say it sounds a little better than the 4G iMod to me. I have only tried it in my main headphone rig (Deep-cup Darth Beyers and Blue Circle SBH amp), but in this set up it's got slightly more treble air and extension, and slightly deeper bass. The mids may be even slightly more transparent. Not huge differences, but differences. Congrats to Vinnie and Ken.

Next week I should get my ALO V-Cap wood dock :)

Jul 23, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #313 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finally broke down and iModded my 5.5g 80gb iPod. I have a 4G iMod already, and I was hoping for an even larger hard drive before modding, but I could no longer wait.

I've broken in the ALO female dock I got for the 5G iMod, and I have to say it sounds a little better than the 4G iMod to me. I have only tried it in my main headphone rig (Deep-cup Darth Beyers and Blue Circle SBH amp), but in this set up it's got slightly more treble air and extension, and slightly deeper bass. The mids may be even slightly more transparent. Not huge differences, but differences. Congrats to Vinnie and Ken.

Next week I should get my ALO V-Cap wood dock :)

So would you say that it is more of a sound signature type of difference, rather than an "improvement," between the 5G and 4G iMOD?

Jul 23, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #314 of 343
I'll have to do some more careful comparative listening before I can answer that question.

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #315 of 343
Hey Skylab, glad you're enjoying the new iMod! I am listening to mine right now with some fresh Apple Lossless tunes that are very sweet. I am on vacation and just before leaving I realized that my new PS-1s would fit into the Grado case (Taiwan style) so I took those along instead of HF-1s. Wow, am I glad I did!

The Who Live at Leeds/Calexico + Iron & Wine/XTC Wasp Star/Chet Baker --> iMod 5.0 --> Katrina SR-71 --> Grado PS-1 =
biggrin.gif
eek.gif
basshead.gif
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Bass never sounded better from my iPod or iMod, and this rig hardly makes a compromise even while sitting by a lake in N. Michigan. Totally loving the work of Vinnie and Ken, and looking for their collaboration to yield more good things to come. Have to admit I got some funny looks in the airport and on the plane, but What, it sounds so good.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back