FIRST 5.5 GEN IMOD IMPRESSIONS!
Jun 24, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #286 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The individual V-Caps used inside it are expensive and when I say expensive they are. There were posts concerning this and links to the V-Caps web site that gave pricing. The V-Docks will be as high as the iModed iPod itself in my estimation. I will be very surprise if it comes in lower. They fit a very particular market nitch, even more specialized that other things around here. They will be found to have a killer sound..even more so after an extended burn-in period. You will not find me arguing over the pricing of these when they come out. You either will want one or not and the pricing will not bother you if you decide to get one.

Kens pricing is fair IMO. Its a specialized product and he could get whatever he wants for them but wont. The price will be fair Im sure.

Thats said its still gonna cost us!!! LOL!!!

Can't wait!

Jun 24, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #287 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kens pricing is fair IMO. Its a specialized product and he could get whatever he wants for them but wont. The price will be fair Im sure.

Can't wait!

My estimate is based on the workmanship that will be going into the wood in the dock and the components themselves. I am sure that it will be priced fairly by Ken but even a fair price will need to be expensive simply due to what will be put into it.

My first impressions of the work that Larry of Headphile was doing on the Beyer headphones was a real surprise but when you see and hear the results you get a different feeling out of it, expensive but worth it. I am sure the same will be found with the V-Docks.

Jun 24, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #288 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like an idiot, I didn't take any, even with my camera nearby
frown.gif

I agree!!

Jun 24, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #289 of 343
I looks fantastic, I assure you. And it sounded GREAT.

Jun 24, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #290 of 343
Quote:

Can't wait!

Note to myself: dont ever choose trose49 to be our team leader in negociating a group buy....
icon10.gif

Amicalement

EDIT:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I looks fantastic, I assure you.

Dont worry we like you the way you are....

Jun 24, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #291 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Note to myself: dont ever choose trose49 to be our team leader in negociating a group buy....
icon10.gif

Amicalement

There are many here sporting new Cow Skins Darths be careful LOL!
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #292 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much did it cost?

Ken wrote me that he estimated the price of the wood dock to be somewhere in the $380 - $480 range. He is still working on the pricing I guess.

Jun 24, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #293 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wotan1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ken wrote me that he estimated the price of the wood dock to be somewhere in the $380 - $480 range. He is still working on the pricing I guess.

Now that sound very aggressive for what it is going to provide. Actually lower that I had estimated. Very good pricing.

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #294 of 343
I'll chime in as an attendee at the recent Chicago meet. I got to sample the new iMod, as well as a 4G iMod (which I had previously heard). They both sounded incredible relative to my stock iPod. I would say the 4G had a little more distinct iMod sound, which I attribute to what has to be a significant difference in burn in, in both iMod and cable (or V-Dock). The V-Dock or whatever sounded magnificent, and is really pretty. This will definitely be a head-fi fetish item soon. The cable was the Cryo X Super dock cable, I believe, and was a little less impressive. It was literally out of a bag, so I was probably one of the first listeners. That said, it still sounded distinctly better than my stock iPod. Man the tight audio budget is killing me.

Jun 25, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #295 of 343
yeah...I was set to get another SB3 and a nice DAC for a muisic server in a bedroom, 2 channel / exersize room, but the 5.5G Imod/ v dock setup got me thinking of spending the funds this way for a music server and have the ultimate transportable too! I posted a thread in the source section...anyone please comment.

Jun 26, 2007 at 10:43 AM Post #296 of 343
Ok, for a newbie in amping and modding, (and in ipodding, because if I ever buy one will be rockbox'd)... (and imodded, I hope)... a brief questions:

A) Do iMod 'always' need and external amp? -I guess yes, as is something related to line-out, isn't it? So the upper headphone out remains untouched.

B) Can I buy here in Europe de iPod 5.5 and then order the Thing? Is the 'Thing' one of the seven possibilities listed in here, or there are something more to buy?

C) And finally, the typical question: Is there any AMP specifically recommended for the iMod? I will use my Ety ER4P/S IEMS.

Jun 26, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #297 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by countach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, for a newbie in amping and modding, (and in ipodding, because if I ever buy one will be rockbox'd)... (and imodded, I hope)... a brief questions:

A) Do iMod 'always' need and external amp? -I guess yes, as is something related to line-out, isn't it? So the upper headphone out remains untouched.

The iMod for the 5th gen does not always need an external amp. The headphone out remains untouched, a difference from the 4th gen. The 4th gen converted the headphone out to the line out and disabled sound from the line out dock.

Quote:

B) Can I buy here in Europe de iPod 5.5 and then order the Thing? Is the 'Thing' one of the seven possibilities listed in here, or there are something more to buy?

If you buy the iPod 5.5 in Europe, you will have to pay to have it shipped to Meriden, CT, USA. Might as well get a refurb from these guys and do it all one way, eh?

You also need a special line out cable, one of those listed on ALO's page. Again, may as well have them send the cable + refurb iPod mod to you all at once. Two targets, one shot. (Or rather, two shots, one target?)

Quote:

C) And finally, the typical question: Is there any AMP specifically recommended for the iMod? I will use my Ety ER4P/S IEMS.

Ken makes some recommendations on his page, and a quick search might turn up some other good suggestions. I'll throw Ray Samuels Audio Tomahawk into the hat, but bear in mind that (a) I have yet to hear the whole package together and (b) everyone has different ears, of course!

Cheers.

Jun 26, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #298 of 343
Quote:

There are many here sporting new Cow Skins Darths be careful LOL!
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Now Todd, I received and love my leather pads but did you negotiate a special group price?
blink.gif

Of course it was still an achievement to get them to ship all of the pads to you and you coordinated it extremely nicely....

Jun 26, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #299 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmk005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now Todd, I received and love my leather pads but did you negotiate a special group price?
blink.gif

Of course it was still an achievement to get them to ship all of the pads to you and you coordinated it extremely nicely....

No there is virtually no good way to contact Beyer regarding price so I set the price not knowing some of the variables (shipping, Duty Tax etc). It was done as an experiment to see if I or (anyone) could order muliple set of leather pads from Beyer and get them shipped.

Since then others have now tried and been successful so it's great if anyone is ordering Beyer Manufacturers you could contact them and add some on BEFORE the order is placed.

Now that we know it can be done it will work out great in the future.

How you all enjoy !!!

Jun 26, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #300 of 343
Not sure if this has been brought up before, but I asked Ken @ ALO if he could incorporate an 1/8" jack onto the new V-Cap dock, and his reply was:

Quote:

We are planning to add a 1/8 mini out as standard.

I for one was happy with that decision as I've got not one 1/8"- 1/8" cable, and no portable amps. I do have a nice Crystal Cable Piccolo iPod to run into a full-sized amp, and really want to use it.

Gotta hand it to Ken and Vinnie: they do innovate and do their best to please their customers by giving them what they want!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back