Firefox: The Best Browser out there ?
Apr 6, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #16 of 83
Firefox is great, but you must admit it is also alot of hype.

Occassionally, bookmarks will disappear from firefox for absolutely no reason. Its happened to me and many other people on nearly every iteration of this program. Recently, I've also been having problems with the cache, and firefox would freeze for some minutes and then finally resume. I've been able to solve that problem by setting it to cache to 0kb.

eh
frown.gif
i'll try irider.

Apr 6, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #17 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
I switched from Opera when version 7.x came out and crashed every other time
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
On any decent machine, the speed difference between Firefox and Opera 7 was negligible.

Wrong. Opera is notably faster, both in my own experience (p4 2.4, 1gb ram) and on paper .

Apr 6, 2005 at 8:35 AM Post #18 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix808
From what I've found, it's the best browser flavor out there. Add on a bunch of the plugins and I'm in heaven.

Yes, IMHO Firefox without any extensions is not really worth it. But the abundance of useful extensions is in my experience also a disadvantage if you have multiple computers. It takes quite a lot of time to find and install all the good extensions and thus keep all installations on the same level. That may not be a problem if you only have a few extensions but right now I have 23 and most of them are used on a daily basis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix808
If you don't need a calendar in your email client, try Thunderbird. Me likey too.

You know, there IS an official calendar extension for Firefoy and Thunderbird.
biggrin.gif

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/
It is also available as a standalone version now named Sunbird.

Apr 6, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #20 of 83
after using Opera for some time there is no comming back.. Firefox is pretty overhyped, nevertheless I install it to everyone's computer because it's close to IE in terms of UI and is without a doubt more safe.. for me it's Opera though, I've tried to live with Firefox a few weeks, but I got upset and had to turn back to my beloved browser..

just to cool your excitement down a bit
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #21 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
I don't think I'm gonna use my I.E. ever again.

yeah you will... eventually you will need to go to a site that refuses to work with firefox... in the last year i've used IE maybe 2 or 3 times

Apr 7, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #22 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
after using Opera for some time there is no comming back.. Firefox is pretty overhyped ...... I've tried to live with Firefox a few weeks, but I got upset and had to turn back to my beloved browser..

Such are my experiences as well.

Apr 8, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #24 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Ein? Do you mean, that Linux distros are putting things in that will purposely make it more reliable? Or that the dark lord of the universe has decide that Windows will be buggy for Firefox?

I use Debian, FreeBSD, OS X, Firefox is flawless on all of them. What gives dude?

he's saying that windows releases "security" patches which are really designed to make firefox crash.

Apr 8, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #25 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz
he's saying that windows releases "security" patches which are really designed to make firefox crash.

correct.

That's not ALL they are meant for.. with every one or two fixes in those 700mb patches, about 300+ bits of code are added that essentially make it even harder for open source users to develop on the Windows platform.

Apr 8, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #26 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
correct.

That's not ALL they are meant for.. with every one or two fixes in those 700mb patches, about 300+ bits of code are added that essentially make it even harder for open source users to develop on the Windows platform.

So, what exactly did they do?

Apr 8, 2005 at 11:23 AM Post #27 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp
yeah you will... eventually you will need to go to a site that refuses to work with firefox... in the last year i've used IE maybe 2 or 3 times

Unfortunately that's true... It happened to me yesterday when I tried to use my Uni's library resource website, the site didn't really recognize Firefox and didn't allow me to log-in.

The "Recommended" browser was Internet explorer.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 8, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #29 of 83
Whitefox:

Every browser has its strengths and weaknesses. For research, go to US-CERT, Secunia, etc. to do research on published browser exploits. Microsoft's Internet Explorer is a joke when it comes to security and so too is Microsoft Windows. FireFox can be configured in such a way that makes it more secure than IE, but the same can be said of IE. Locking down and restricting specific features such as Flash, Shockwave, ActiveX, JAVA, etc. will increase security at the cost of less functionality. Still, getting at the source code and buying the latest Mozilla FireFox books (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...rid=pv4drFBB1B) can arm you with the knowledge to secure the browser quite nicely. I'm not saying that FireFox is the most secure browser, but it has key advantages in my humble opinion to assist you in your mission to make it one of the most secure browsers possible.

Don't forget other aspects of computer security: physical and a security policy. Firewalls, both hardware with NAT/SPI protection and configurable port locking and software such as ZoneAlarm PRO (Windows) and a FreeBSD Firewall (BSD, Linux), can help greatly. Taking off critical data from your computer environment (user ids, passphrases, sensitive work documents, etc.) reduces your threat from having your most critical data compromised because to you, that's your crown jewels. Managing removable data securely presents its own challenges as well so get a safety deposit box at a bank for that. Backing up your data is also critical: no backups = no safety net. CD-R/RW and DVD +/-R/RW media is cheap, accessible, and affordable, but tape backups are best for long term archival purposes. Then, there is RAID 0-5 for data redundancy and fault protection which merits considerable attention in a well defined security policy. Most people don't go this far, but they ought to if they rely on computers for their livelihood.

When I build my first desktop PC this Christmas 2005, I will incorporate these ideas because I can't afford to lose important data anymore. I myself greatly prefer Mozilla FireFox because of its open source, free aspects. That in of itself helps me to buy books on the browser so I can modify the source code to make it meet my security (insane levels) needs.

Apr 8, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #30 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by White Fox
What is the most secure browser?

Hmm not sure, So far Firefox has been very secure. I will say this however, IMHO Microsift IE is by far the least secure one Ive used. Ive only used 3, netscape, IE and now firefox, so my experience is limited.

I run zonealarm with all 3, and man... browsing with IE, its like every 10 minutes I get pinged with zonealarm blocks... "PING.... freemortgages.com is trying to access your computer, or PING... ebates.com is trying to access your computer"... really pisses me off that they can do this to unsuspecting people!!
mad.gif

Its really scarry the activety that goes on behind my back.

I ran spybot on my wifes PC the other day... holy moly... ~25 spyware programs... Yikes!!! She was using one of those freebie ISPs and windows IE... never again!! Took me 2-3 hours to clean off all that crap.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back