Firefox: The Best Browser out there ?
Jun 1, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #76 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild
ppl: go into firefox preferences and set it to not check if it is the default browser. Go into ie and set it to check if it is (the programs tab, at the bottom). Close and reopen IE, say yes when it asks you if you want it to be the default. That's it. You don't need to reinstall your OS.

I very very rarely find sites that don't render properly in firefox any more. Those that don't are usually poorly written, often because they aren't exactly kosher websites, and built by morons.
wink.gif

Thanks that worked great
3000smile.gif

Jun 1, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #77 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild
I'm not a fanboy, I hate all browsers, in fact, I cussed out firefox today for it's poor flash handling.
smily_headphones1.gif
At the moment I hate firefox the least. Not all of the sites that don't work in firefox are poorly designed, but most of them are, even the popular ones. More often than not, pages don't display for unreal elementary mistakes like missing </tr> tags, which IE ignores and most other browsers don't, because, well, it's an error. I report bugs to the webmasters when I spot the obvious ones, and some respond quite well (newegg was very open to my critique of their css, great folks, like their new site too).

Also, you get a lot of great bonehead moves when designers use visual studio/asp.net blindly, not bothering to test their work. Most of the time they just couldn't care less if some MS specific javascript or ad-hoc DHTML doesn't work in anything aside from IE. After all, everyone else is such a small portion of their audience.

Things are changing, particularly with larger and more popular sites, as the push gets stronger and the numbers change.

I've been doing web design off and on for 10 years, I'm no stranger to the issues. Getting javascript to work in more than one browser is life shortenning. One thing hasn't changed since the early days of the web. 90% of the web sites out there are crap, most of those broken (even if not visually). IE's "superiority" in rendering comes from market dominance and designers who are willing to have their engine work around lazy site designers. (whether that is good or bad is up to the individual, I personally am not a fan of half-arsed work, but think you have to give to some extent)

For more information look at the Apple vs. KHTML (Safari's engine) battle going on right now. Firefox is actually on Apple's side (make it work for the end-user). Guess that's why firefox is as popular as it is, and MS handed the torch to Safari on the Mac.

Pick the browser you like, they all suck
smily_headphones1.gif
just like all OSen, and all text editors (vi vs emacs fans), and all computers, and all weather forecasts....

Makes me wonder why I use so many.
biggrin.gif

A bit old, tired and bitter are we feeling today?
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

And yes, Firefox still sucks at Flash. Why?
frown.gif
I love sites like Weebl and Bob, but it just ain't as funny when the video gets out of synth with itself (changes speeds randomly or slows down over time regardless of CPU power available), and/or the audio and video get out of synch with each-other. Bah.

I see your point(s) though, sorry for misjudging you from the start
wink.gif

Jun 1, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #78 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
A bit old, tired and bitter are we feeling today?
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Heck yeah, I'm nothing but a bitter old crank.
wink.gif

Jun 3, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #79 of 83
I would like to point out the plugin called greasemonkey. It's lets you add all kinds of stuff to pages via DHTML, as far as I understand from their site... but I'm really not into all that. Bottom line, it lets you do all kind of cool things -- including transforming allmusic.com to something closer to what it used to be like. I am also quite fond of the auto-login function. Every time it comes to a homepage where you have stored the login and password it will automatically log in. You can also remove most ads and make improve lots of news-sites. Another great script is the one that gives you extra buttons in gmail. Another useful script add a 'see only negative feedback'-button to ebay.
Top-of-the-pop plugin!
---

Does anybody know a plugin which will make the up and down arrows work the same way in FF as in IE? When hitting the down key in FF it will only go like one line down whereas it goes 3 or more lines down in IE. It has annoyed me for a while but I haven't been able to find a way to fix it.

Thanks,
Rasmus

Jun 3, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #80 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by pank2002
I would like to point out the plugin called greasemonkey. It's lets you add all kinds of stuff to pages via DHTML, as far as I understand from their site... but I'm really not into all that. Bottom line, it lets you do all kind of cool things -- including transforming allmusic.com to something closer to what it used to be like. I am also quite fond of the auto-login function. Every time it comes to a homepage where you have stored the login and password it will automatically log in. You can also remove most ads and make improve lots of news-sites. Another great script is the one that gives you extra buttons in gmail. Another useful script add a 'see only negative feedback'-button to ebay.
Top-of-the-pop plugin!
---

Does anybody know a plugin which will make the up and down arrows work the same way in FF as in IE? When hitting the down key in FF it will only go like one line down whereas it goes 3 or more lines down in IE. It has annoyed me for a while but I haven't been able to find a way to fix it.

Thanks,
Rasmus

wow those greasemonkey plugin options sound bad@$$!!!
eek.gif

i want what you're looking for too, except for the mouse. i want fully customizable mouse scrollwheel options
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #81 of 83
SmoothWheel might do that, actually. Wonder if it works with the arrow keys too.

edit: yeah, definitely works with the wheel but not the keypads. Does Anybody know a way to get the keypad to operate in more than one line at the time? My laptop doesn't have a wheel.

Jun 6, 2005 at 12:22 PM Post #83 of 83
Hey,
Does anybody know how I copy a Firefox profile, including extensions, configuration and possibly the bookmarks to another computer in the most hassle free way?
Thanks,
Rasmus

Also, my other question remains: Is there a extension which will allow the keypads to work in Firefox in a similar way to how they work in IE, i.e. moving more lines up and down when hitting the up/down arrow ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back