Firefox: The Best Browser out there ?
May 16, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #61 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
I stay with the major releases. I am already running Red Hat Fedora CORE 3 SELinux and that is an experimental operating system per se. I don't need bleeding edge technologies and I just don't have enough Linux knowledge to do that right now. Upgrading to RHFC4 SELinux will be an adventure. I wouldn't advise anyone who relies upon FireFox or ThunderBird for enterprise business to go to nightly builds either. Stick to the major releases and try not to modify the chrome code.

hmmmm. depends on the program I guess. I have found Beta updates on Spybot, for example, to be absolutely necessary.

May 16, 2005 at 12:27 PM Post #62 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajt976
Yea other than the fact that IE just lets any joe blow website on the freakin net load up your machine with cookies and what not with no regard for the user?

After switching from IE to FF, the biggest advantage for me has been the complete lack of tracking cookies found on my machine. 'Cookies' has to be the worst computer term ever...

May 17, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #64 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
Unfortunately that's true... It happened to me yesterday when I tried to use my Uni's library resource website, the site didn't really recognize Firefox and didn't allow me to log-in.

The "Recommended" browser was Internet explorer.
rolleyes.gif

Try this useful firefox plug-in.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...hlight=firefox

May 18, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #66 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajt976
Yea other than the fact that IE just lets any joe blow website on the freakin net load up your machine with cookies and what not with no regard for the user?

Internet Options>Privacy>Advanced>Block all Cookies

May 19, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #67 of 83
I love Firefox, on all platforms. I've used it through all of it's name changes, on Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, and OSX, and it has been a great ride thus far.

I really do not want to see it start falling down a feature hole like Mozilla/Netscape. It needs to keep it's purpose clear, but at the same time the project heads need to not get huffy and piss everyone off.

The OSX version needs some performance improvements and a few minor interface improvements. I'm overjoyed that the middle click patch is in 1.1 because I'm getting sick of patching and recompiling myself with each version.
smily_headphones1.gif
Safari's great and all, but it is falling into the same trap as IE, by being too integrated into the OS (i.e. dashboard vulnerability in Tiger), and Firefox has simply the best tab implementation on the market IMO (middle click behavior being part of that).

I'd love to see more people take advantage of XUL to make easilly creatable cross platform utilities integrated into the #1 used application of the modern desktop - the web browser.

May 19, 2005 at 1:20 PM Post #68 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
Firefox loads slower on my machine than IE but surfing speed is a little faster than IE. It keeps a lot of trash off of my computer and I generally prefer it to any other browser.

I believe the forum at referenceaudiomods.com has a few ways to speed it up.

May 31, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #71 of 83
Well it looks like I am the only one that is not a Fan of firefox and I truly wish I never installed it. I have every plug-in available and yes the one I use most often is the plug-in that lets me view a page in IE because some content is not properly displayed from all web sites in firefox. I uninstalled firefox and this made IE not work properly so I set IE as my default browser and come back to find Firefox has reclaimed itself as the default browser. Is there a way to uninstall firefox without upsetting IE and or can IE be separately installed on Win XP Pro. I tried repairing IE to no avail the only way to restore proper IE operation is to reinstall firefox. I really do not want to reinstall my OS. TIA

May 31, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #73 of 83
ppl: go into firefox preferences and set it to not check if it is the default browser. Go into ie and set it to check if it is (the programs tab, at the bottom). Close and reopen IE, say yes when it asks you if you want it to be the default. That's it. You don't need to reinstall your OS.

I very very rarely find sites that don't render properly in firefox any more. Those that don't are usually poorly written, often because they aren't exactly kosher websites, and built by morons.
wink.gif

Jun 1, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #74 of 83
I wouldn't be so sure, devwild. You must not browse often enough
wink.gif

I have found dozens of websites that display horribly in Firefox, many of them falling into none of the categories you claim.

Garrr, I hate fanboys
rolleyes.gif

I like Firefox, but don't assume that just because we both like it, it is "the benchmark" and any sites that it doesn't display well, is the site's or site designer's fault.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 1, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #75 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
I like Firefox, but don't assume that just because we both like it, it is "the benchmark" and any sites that it doesn't display well, is the site's or site designer's fault.
rolleyes.gif

I'm not a fanboy, I hate all browsers, in fact, I cussed out firefox today for it's poor flash handling.
smily_headphones1.gif
At the moment I hate firefox the least. Not all of the sites that don't work in firefox are poorly designed, but most of them are, even the popular ones. More often than not, pages don't display for unreal elementary mistakes like missing </tr> tags, which IE ignores and most other browsers don't, because, well, it's an error. I report bugs to the webmasters when I spot the obvious ones, and some respond quite well (newegg was very open to my critique of their css, great folks, like their new site too).

Also, you get a lot of great bonehead moves when designers use visual studio/asp.net blindly, not bothering to test their work. Most of the time they just couldn't care less if some MS specific javascript or ad-hoc DHTML doesn't work in anything aside from IE. After all, everyone else is such a small portion of their audience.

Things are changing, particularly with larger and more popular sites, as the push gets stronger and the numbers change.

I've been doing web design off and on for 10 years, I'm no stranger to the issues. Getting javascript to work in more than one browser is life shortenning. One thing hasn't changed since the early days of the web. 90% of the web sites out there are crap, most of those broken (even if not visually). IE's "superiority" in rendering comes from market dominance and designers who are willing to have their engine work around lazy site designers. (whether that is good or bad is up to the individual, I personally am not a fan of half-arsed work, but think you have to give to some extent)

For more information look at the Apple vs. KHTML (Safari's engine) battle going on right now. Firefox is actually on Apple's side (make it work for the end-user). Guess that's why firefox is as popular as it is, and MS handed the torch to Safari on the Mac.

Pick the browser you like, they all suck
smily_headphones1.gif
just like all OSen, and all text editors (vi vs emacs fans), and all computers, and all weather forecasts....

Makes me wonder why I use so many.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back