Firefox: The Best Browser out there ?
Apr 8, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #31 of 83
I've been using Firefox as my main browser since right after 0.6 was released (right after they changed the name from Phoenix to Firebird), and have been a die hard fanatic ever since. Nothing against the Opera folks out there, though.

It's all about the extensions (and themes, to a degree). I have 24 extensions installed, of which one has the sole purpose is to randomly change the name of the browser to "Mozilla <insert random Godzilla creature here>". Currently I'm running Mozilla Megalon.
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #33 of 83
Sorry to dig up this thread, but I wanted to add my two bits.

Had been using Firefox for about a year... there were definitely some tradeoffs from IE, but overall it was worth it. Tabbed browsing rules
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Just switched to Opera about 10 minutes ago, and I can already tell that it's far and away the better of the three. w00t. I should have been using Opera sooner, lol.

Question for the FireFox fanatics... what exactly is the use of extensions? All of them I ran across seemed generally pointless for "normal" browsing. More like flashy gadgets than actual productivity enhancers.
plainface.gif

May 13, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #34 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
This is amazing, I have just discovered firefox.

Nice one, shame you've only just discovered it
wink.gif

Quote:

And is it just me, or Firefox loads up faster than I.E ?

Not really, unless your IE isn't very well looked after and is full of spyware toolbars. IE definitely loads faster than firefox on a standard machine.. but firefox doesn't wait a 1 minute for a webpage to load just because it is waiting for the last image to be downloaded (which usually ends up as a broken image anyways).. stupid IE.
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3
Yep firefox is amazing, especially the tabbed browsing; that along makes it way better than IE. That said, sometimes I have to revert back to IE as some websites show up a bit wierd on firefox, but this is still a rare occurence.

I totally agree, I don't think I've used my middle mouse button as much since my counterstriking days
biggrin.gif

The reason why some sites "show up a bit weird" in firefox, is because firefox fully supports the standard CSS/HTML standards whereas microsoft is a cut and hack job!
see...http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer.html

May 13, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #35 of 83
With the talk about Opera, I thought I'd give it a try again. I used it a while ago, pre-Firebird, I think.

I imported my bookmarks from Firefox and it did the same thing as it did the last time I tried it- it alphabetized my bookmarks. It had taken me years to collect and arrange my bookmarks. Back to Firefox.

May 13, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #37 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyacorn
With the talk about Opera, I thought I'd give it a try again. I used it a while ago, pre-Firebird, I think.

I imported my bookmarks from Firefox and it did the same thing as it did the last time I tried it- it alphabetized my bookmarks. It had taken me years to collect and arrange my bookmarks. Back to Firefox.

what's wrong with being alphabitized??
confused.gif

May 13, 2005 at 11:23 PM Post #38 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
what's wrong with being alphabitized??
confused.gif

Exactly. First break everything down into folders, and then alphabetize it for the easiest find. Mightyacorn's bookmark setup sounds fairly inefficient (and admittedly so, since he mentioned the amount of time it took to organize).

May 13, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #39 of 83
Just my experiences:

I've been using ff for about a year and have enjoyed it, i'd never go back to ie. Some sites won't load with ff - this is especially annoying as they are often from large corporations... say no more. I love the tabbed browsing and how much faster it is over ie. The only minus is now that more and more security vulnerabilities are being discovered.

May 13, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #40 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
Exactly. First break everything down into folders, and then alphabetize it for the easiest find. Mightyacorn's bookmark setup sounds fairly inefficient (and admittedly so, since he mentioned the amount of time it took to organize).

Well, I do have things broken down into folders. I like to keep folders like "Television & Movies" and "Radio" together, not in alphabetical order. I guess I'm strange that way, I do that with my books too- my mystery books together and my science fiction books together and alphabetical by author. I don't mix my mystery, science fiction, fiction and non-fiction in alphabetical order by author.

When I mention it has taken me years to collect, I meant I've had some of the bookmarks for a long time. I certainly think that it should be up to me to decide on how to arrange my bookmarks and not have the browser choose for me.

May 14, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #43 of 83
Quote:

What I did was just downloading the 1.04 version and installed straight away without removing the older one first.

heh. whenever i did that with firefox it caused problems that wrecked the program's usefulness for me
wink.gif
i would have had to format to fix it. but now i have Opera
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #45 of 83
Opera is actually the innovator - they came out with tabbed browsing and user JavaScript (Greasemonkey on Firefox). That said Firefox is my primary browser on Windows since 0.6. On the Mac I use Camino (Firefox on the Mac feels like an afterthought), and on Solaris I use Mozilla 1.7.x.

Tabbed browsing is great, but another excellent feature across all Mozilla-derived browsers is keywords. You can associate a bookmark with a keyword. For instance, to search books on Amazon, I just type "amazon da vinci" in the URL bar, because the keyword "amazon" is associated with a bookmark that has the Amazon search URL with the search keywords you typed in the URL bar (in this case "da vinci") inserted in the URL where you put the placeholder %s. I have keywords for Google News and Maps, Epinions, B&H Photo, IMDB, Merriam-Webster, Roget's, eBay and so on. It's amazing how much time that feature can save.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back